User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Breastfeeding

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Well daddy is 6'3" and built like a football player. He was premature, but by the time he hit his due date he was 13 pounds. (And I will never forgive my MIL for saying she gave birth to a 13 pound baby repeatedly and scaring the crap out of me when he was actually a premie and only 6 pounds! >_< )

I've been overweight most of my life. I was always big boned and got teased a lot in public school even though I wasn't fat, they made me feel fat, which led to depression and over-eating until I actually was fat. I have actually lost 55 pounds since I gave birth to Noah but I still have a long way to go.

I do not want my son to have to go through the stuff I did in school. Kids can be so cruel.

That being said, we've been doing better. I still have a hard time getting him to stay latched and he cries and fusses a lot because I'm making him work for it, but yesterday we cut it down to one bottle (at 4 am) so I could get four hours sleep uninterupted. I just have a hard time figuring out how much to feed him because he usually takes about twenty to thirty minutes for each bottle feed (with burping, etc.) and on the breast, it's easily half that! Is that normal? I'm guessing the milk comes out a lot faster through the breast because sometimes he'll unlatch and spit a mouthful of milk all over me. LOL.

If you have any tips for signs to look out for so I know when he's still hungry in the middle of a feed, or to know when he's done, that would be a big help!

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

Diaper count is the easiest way to tell right away if baby is getting enough. If he's soiling just as he was, he's clearly getting enough. If he's satisfied between feedings and no more fussy than normal, he's doing well.

Since you said he isn't taking as long on the breast, you want to watch that he's getting your hind milk. That's where the fatty stick to your ribs type milk is. The fore milk is first, its more watered down and as he gets more drank it becomes the fattier stuff. If he's wanting to nurse way more often its most likely because he's not getting the hind stuff, you might want to try latching him onto the same breast a second time so that you know he's really getting it. He'll be quick to let you know if he's drained the breast.

At night what works best in our family is to just bring the baby into the bed with me. Those 3 am feedings don't seem too bad when your just putting it in his mouth, he'll spit it out when he's done, and if he needs to burp, he'll let you know. I couldn't honestly tell you how many times my baby wakes up in the night or how long they feed. And boobies make great pillows.

here's the Le Leche League's website for FAQ's:

http://www.lllc.ca/faq

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I had the same troubles with my son. My dr. asked me to keep trying until 3 months, that was the "magical" number when breastfeeding was easy. I did and it worked but he refused to nurse any other way than laying down and ONLY the left side. A friend had simillar troubles and 3 months was the magic number for her too. Not too sure who stated "it was the most natural thing to do", there is nothing natural about it!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I breastfed my oldest and am currently breastfeeding my youngest (9 months). We started supplementing with formula at around 5 months and they were both getting some breastmilk (via bottle) at about 4 weeks. I didn't want to end up with babies who would refuse a bottle and then I would have zero freedom for 6 months.

It seems like your doctor went over the top when she found out you were pumping and then bottle-feeding him. If you had symptoms of PPD because of difficulties nursing then you did what is best for your family.

I guess statistically babies who eat from a bottle are more likely to be obese but every child is different. I bet TV and video games play a big role in obesity levels too.

After we got through the painful, difficult times of nursing (and at points my dh would have to hold his little hands so that they wouldn't get in the way of latching on) nursing became a pleasure and so much easier than pumping and screwing around with bottles.
    Last edited by betholio; Mon, Aug 1st, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

Trading Score
    20 (95%)

My son was bottle fed and is (knock on wood) healthy and very happy. Go with your gut instinct mama, all the best
    Happy Holidays

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

Even when my daughter was around 12 months she still wouldn't take more then 4 oz of breastmilk at a time. As long as you are actually making milk via the pump i suppose there isn't much to worry about.

I used to just try to pump and pump but then i retried breastfeeding a second time and it was way easier,it certainly takes a little getting used to. It doesn't hurt to try again,if you still don't like it then i guess it just wasn't meant to be
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Well I guess I should update everyone! LOL. So it's been going OK. There are times DS latches on right away and cuddles right up to me, drinks for a few minutes and drifts off to sleep. Those are the good times! Then there are the times when DS punches, screams, kicks, bites, pinches, etc. I -THINK- he's doing this because he's not actually hungry at that point in time. So if he starts crying I'll try and put him to the breast and if he doesn't want it I'll rock him for a few minutes and lay him back down and generally he'll go back to sleep.

I'm a little worried he's not eating enough. He used to drink five-six ounces a feed every three hours and now he'll drink for maybe five minutes on one breast and be down for an hour and a half - two hours. So it is a lot harder for sure because I'm having to feed him more, but it's nice to not have to pump and then clean the pump and then feed him the bottle and then clean the bottle and start all over again.

DH fed him twice this morning with the bottle while trying to let me get some more sleep which was so nice but when I got up my boobs were leaking everywhere. Ick. Also, no matter how much I feed with my right breast, it is still not producing as much milk as my left. LOL. Oh well!

I actually decided to invest in a breast pump (came in at $200 and we were renting for $80/month so we'll end up saving six hundred this way) because I'm not pumping as much so I figured I wouldn't need a hospital grade anymore. Plus it's a lot more portable! I'm usually only pumping twice a day now - once first thing in the morning before I breastfeed because my breasts are usually so full DS can't latch properly and once at night before bed so that I can skip the four am feeding.

We also have started on Zantac our Dr. prescribed for his acid reflux and that seems to be helping a lot. He still spits up now and then but not nearly as often or as much and doesn't seem to be screaming his head off in pain anymore.

Thanks for all the continued support guys! I appreciate it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information