User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Ugh. Rising food costs are KILLING me. and my wallet.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

so I'm at Walmart today and my bill ended up being $235. granted, I did buy my daughter her $50 winter boots. (somehow my nine year old's feet have grown to a women's size 6 O_o) but still. wth? I couponed and price matched my way too, would have ended up being about $300.

My fiance was saying that every time I go shopping for groceries it seems the bill gets higher and higher. I swear I'm not trying to spend so much, and although I added some dollars because we have been eating healthier, I in no way am trying to increase my spending. It's so frustrating.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    I swear I'm not trying to spend so much, and although I added some dollars because we have been eating healthier, I in no way am trying to increase my spending. It's so frustrating.
    I hear ya! We buy what is in season and what's on sale and stock up. Like the squash is $0.59/lb so we are buying and storing in a cool dry place. And apples are 4 lbs for $3, so we can keep these chilled and they last.

We are looking for whatever good sale is on healthy food and trying to combine coupons, points and rebates to keep the costs low.

And love those pink sticker deals where you can freeze food you saved on.

About the boots, save now for the end of season sale so your daughter can get boots for next year, at a rock bottom price. Coat, sweaters, mitts and hats - works for these too

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

yep so true about rising food costs especially winter I find...Just today I went for lettuce only to see it's $2 a head! I guess I got spoiled with the summer always having it on sale for .77-.99...I find it so much easier to eat healthy for cheap in the summer. In the winter it seems like everything goes for such high prices and rarely goes on sale that I just don't buy "fresh" produce as often.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I hear ya! We buy what is in season and what's on sale and stock up. Like the squash is $0.59/lb so we are buying and storing in a cool dry place. And apples are 4 lbs for $3, so we can keep these chilled and they last.

We are looking for whatever good sale is on healthy food and trying to combine coupons, points and rebates to keep the costs low.

And love those pink sticker deals where you can freeze food you saved on.

About the boots, save now for the end of season sale so your daughter can get boots for next year, at a rock bottom price. Coat, sweaters, mitts and hats - works for these too
    definitely will be saving for end of season sales.

I just wish the opportunities to coupon for healthy food would happen more frequently. I hate how coupons are generally junky food that I am trying to avoid. Somehow doritos ended up in my cart... not sure how lol

I should be happy I saved about $75 but paying out over $200 hurts me lol I try hard to be frugal, but we've been living off of fumes for the past couple weeks and I had to do a big shop. ugh.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    yep so true about rising food costs especially winter I find...Just today I went for lettuce only to see it's $2 a head! I guess I got spoiled with the summer always having it on sale for .77-.99...I find it so much easier to eat healthy for cheap in the summer. In the winter it seems like everything goes for such high prices and rarely goes on sale that I just don't buy "fresh" produce as often.
    So true. So we go for frozen veggies now. Like at RCSS, the PC frozen veggies are on sale for $1.89 and the regular price is $2.99. Plus I remember coupon mummy's brag with free Arctic Garden frozen veggies bought on with the online coupons offered on Tuesdays.

It's possible to eat well off season.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    definitely need to prepare myself for rising veggie costs.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

So true. So we go for frozen veggies now. Like at RCSS, the PC frozen veggies are on sale for $1.89 and the regular price is $2.99. Plus I remember coupon mummy's brag with free Arctic Garden frozen veggies bought on with the online coupons offered on Tuesdays.

It's possible to eat well off season.
    I bought a bunch of those green giant veggie that are 2 for $4 at walmart. trying to avoid my veggies going bad in the fridge. figured frozen would ensure nothing went in the garbage

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I just wish the opportunities to coupon for healthy food would happen more frequently. I hate how coupons are generally junky food that I am trying to avoid.
    Yes. Some coupons for good food is not as easy. But there were the egg coupons and the milk coupons that are out now for TruTaste milk. And I spotted POM coupons at RCSS for $1 off any 2 POM products (pomegranate airals (spelling?), POM juice, POM pistachios), so now just waiting for a good sale on POM.

Plus the pink stickers on yogurt or milk or juice... Mushrooms and bananas are good to get pink sticker too.

And we get vegetable grain fed turkey with "rip and stick" coupons or Loblaws "manager's special" 50% off coupons. So meat and poultry can be had for a pretty good price.

Oh yeah -- those darn Doritos. We have been taking a cart inventory before getting in the check out line. If it is not needed or not on the list, the item does not go on the belt for check out. Seems to work out o.k.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Nov 3rd, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Yes. Some coupons for good food is not as easy. But there were the egg coupons and the milk coupons that are out now for TruTaste milk. Plus the pink stickers on yogurt or milk or juice... Mushrooms and bananas are good to get pink sticker too.

And we get vegetable grain fed turkey with "rip and stick" coupons or Loblaws "manager's special" 50% off coupons. So meat and poultry can be had for a pretty good price.

Oh yeah -- those darn Doritos. We have been taking a cart inventory before getting in the check out line. If it is not needed or not on the list, the item does not go on the belt for check out. Seems to work out o.k.
    my daughter was like mom, we never get the 3 for $8 chips. can we please? I want tostitos. lmfao

so i just haaaad to add doritos in. they are definitely a weakness.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

my daughter was like mom, we never get the 3 for $8 chips. can we please? I want tostitos. lmfao

so i just haaaad to add doritos in. they are definitely a weakness.
    Yes. Treats are o.k. sometimes. So the Hallowe'en Doritos small packs on clear out should satisfy the craving for a while. The are 50% to 75% off now in many places. And sometimes Dollarama has them in small packs for a good price

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, November is "Black Friday" time, so there may be some deals as each grocery store tries to lure in to their store and get you away from their competitors.

And in January, the grocery stores know that Christmas/Holiday credit cards are coming due and they tries to tap into New Year's Resolutions to have some good prices on healthy food-- I think that's when oatmeal and such goes on sale. And if you have a coupon, Bob's your uncle.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

I hear ya. It can definitely be frustrating at times. I say do the best you can and be happy with what you do save. I don't care what the price of lettuce is-we eat 7-8 heads of romaine a week...I'm buying it. If it is on sale, great, if not...I'm still buying it and maybe won't buy raspberries that week. In a week, I probably only use 2 coupons, if that. I find now my biggest savings is PMing and stocking up on meat when it is on sale or other things I can freeze. I don't freeze veggies. I just like fresh better. Good luck with eating healthier OP. In my opinion, I would take healthy over cheaper groceries any day.
    LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

How long will a squash last before it starts to rot?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    We use it up before that happens. So, can't say. We check them regularly and use up before that happens.
    avoncallingu and lilo0003 like this.

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Depends on the kind of squash. Winter squash should last for weeks in a cool dry area (or even on the counter at home, sometimes!...) Some winter squash like Butternut should last months if properly stored. Squashes are meant to overwinter well and when it looks like it's about to get squishy, use it up for supper (or muffins etc.) or puree the flesh and freeze it for another day!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information