User Tag List

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Zonny
  • 3 Post By macw1960
  • 1 Post By FLA
  • 4 Post By CrazyQT
  • 1 Post By FLA
  • 1 Post By mandolinatou

Thread: What is your favourite credit card?

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

What is your favourite credit card? Why? Do you get cash back, rewards, other?..

I`m loving my AMEX Gold card... has no annual fees, I get air miles and the interest is CRAZY low; It just recently went up to $1.xx a month.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I had an RBC Avion card, downgraded to another RBC card but I still get RBC points. Until recently I used that card for everything, except Costco. Costco only takes AMEX, debit or cash, no Visa. With my RBC card, I get reward points that I can cash in for free stuff. I like free stuff. I only got AMEX for Costco.

We used that RBC card exclusively, until we went to Disney in October. We're going to go again, and I want to buy at least some of our Disney tickets with Air Miles! So I've started using the AMEX card for everything to get the air miles!

I couldn't care less about interest rates, it's moot if you pay it off every month (and IMO, no rewards card is worth it if you're carrying a balance, paying interest makes any rewards moot). There is an annual fee on our RBC card, but it pays for itself in free stuff and for insurance on rental cars.
    Candini likes this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I love my PC card the best.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I had so many cards and decided to pick one or two and cancel the rest. After doing the math I decided that the Canadian Tire Options card was giving me the best reward. I always pay it off every month though. I kept my Amex for Costco only. I cancelled the rest.

FLA
    Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    What is your favourite credit card? Why? Do you get cash back, rewards, other?..

I`m loving my AMEX Gold card... has no annual fees, I get air miles and the interest is CRAZY low; It just recently went up to $1.xx a month.
    The Amex Gold card is a very good card, but it has annual fee. I use the Amex SPG card the most, especially for large purchases because the SPG points worth more than other reward points. I get 1 SPG point/dollar. If you use the SPG point for free nights, you can easily get 3 cents/point. For example, 3k SPG points for a weekend free night at this nice hotel: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=3088

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The one's that paid off

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Just to be sure I understand -are you saying spend $3000 dollars collect 3000 points, be able to book the hotel for 2 nights at no cost? Cause that would be a crazy level of rewards.

How do you see what hotels are eligible and how many points you need? I'm heading to Florida in the New Year and it's easy to spend $$ on a credit card. Does it work for weekdays too?

Quote Originally Posted by FLA View Post
    The Amex Gold card is a very good card, but it has annual fee. I use the Amex SPG card the most, especially for large purchases because the SPG points worth more than other reward points. I get 1 SPG point/dollar. If you use the SPG point for free nights, you can easily get 3 cents/point. For example, 3k SPG points for a weekend free night at this nice hotel: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=3088
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

FLA
    Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giving-Small View Post
    Just to be sure I understand -are you saying spend $3000 dollars collect 3000 points, be able to book the hotel for 2 nights at no cost? Cause that would be a crazy level of rewards.

How do you see what hotels are eligible and how many points you need? I'm heading to Florida in the New Year and it's easy to spend $$ on a credit card. Does it work for weekdays too?
    Sorry, my post is not very clear. If you have the Amex SPG card, you earn 1 SPG point for every dollar spent. So if you spend $3000 with the SPG card, you will earn 3000 SPG points. The 3000 SPG points can exchange for a weekend free reward night at many hotels at SPG.com. You do not need to pay a penny for a free reward night. All tax and fees are included.

If you annual spend reaches $40k, you will also earn an additional free night on top of the 40,000 + SPG points you earn.

If you sign up the card through referral link (such as the one in my signature), you will get 21k welcome bonus points on top of the regular points.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have two airmiles cards which I like. I have the BMO airmiles card and the AMEX platinum. They each sometimes have special offers which I pay attention to. I have managed between the two cards to get 3500 points in the last year. This month if I spend 300 dollars on my BMO card I will get 400 airmiles. I think this is becasue I was not using the BMO card sparingly. The other thing is while Amex has a fee. I just close the account when I get charged the fee...which they refund. Then I will open a new one when there is a good offer for opening a new AMEX card...so I have no automatic expenses on my AMEX card but this process has worked well for me.
    Giving-Small likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love the Gold Amex with Scotia Bank, the points add up so quick and you can redeem them for some cool items...love it. First year no annual fee and you also get travel insurance for being a card holder

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like my RBC Shoppers Optimum MasterCard. No annual fee.

This is why I love it! (Info below from SDM website)

Earn 15 Points for every $1 in eligible in-store purchases made at Shoppers Drug Mart
    using your RBC Shoppers Optimum MasterCard. Plus, since you earn 10 Points for every $1 in purchases just by presenting your Shoppers Optimum Card (loyalty card), you’ll actually earn 25 Points for every $1 in purchases

Earn 5 Points for every $1 in purchases anywhere you shop
    when you use your RBC Shoppers Optimum MasterCard. You’ll earn Points on gas, entertainment, clothing, groceries and other purchases.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thank you so much

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a BMO Mastercard that I found good. I was using it to pay bills such as Cell Phones, Cable, etc. So I was spending $300-500 a month on the card and receiving tons of air miles. I think I racked up about 1500 in a relatively short time span by just paying my bills which is something I need to do anyways.

Thread Information