• 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: expenses away from home

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

hello,
    i hope i can find some help here.
    where can i find more informations about tax claims for expenses my hubby has when he works away from home for a long period of time.

my hubby works in fort mcmurray, with 20 days on and 8 days off. he gets payed LOA from his employer. so he stays up there(for 20 days) and pays for his own expenses(rent,meals and so on)... and comes home for the 8 days off.

hubby doesn't pay tax on on the LOA. but i assume he will have to fill it out as an income in his tax return. since he doesn't keep all of this money( because of the expenses he has) what can he claim, where do i find more informations about expenses and claims for workers like him.

i know employees in transpost(truck drivers and so on) can claim meals and lodging. but what is with people like my hubby? i know that people come from NFL or ON over here and have second household to work there and fly home in the days off. there must be something what they can claim for a second household or so.

thanks so much. i googled and searched without luck. the only thing i can find is expenses for truck drivers. :-(
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't know but you might try calling Revenue Canada and asking them or perhaps your husbands work buddies or HR dept would have some insight. I think if he were an independent contractor( as I think most truck drivers are?) he could definitely claim these expenses but not sure if he is an employee. Good luck.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Since it seems to be a little complicated, maybe talking to a tax account needs to be done
    ticul likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree... start with your accountant and/or Revenue Canada. You don't want the hassles of an audit.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The only certain things are:
    1) that his province of residence on Dec. 31 will determine which province's income tax rates apply to his income
    2) his terms of employment-does he have a Form T2200 from his employer? It might help to determine the tax situation for his case.
    3) he can use any medical expenses for the calendar year on his tax return to see if it adds to his non-refundable tax credits.

You may be thinking about the Moving Expense Claim form and line 219 in the T-1 personal income tax return-it's for people who move 40km or more for work or school. The condition is that you establish a new home at the location where you are working or studying. So he's out of luck there.

I'm aware of auto industry workers who travel from home city to work city each weekend in Ontario and stay in accommodations near work location during week. But I have not heard of how they can claim their workweek expenses, because CRA does not allow for most work expenses to be claimed-even clothing.

If your husband has some kind of documentation indicating what his terms of employment are, he should take it to a tax professional and inquire about income tax implications related to the LOA.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Nov 23rd, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
    ticul likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thread Information