• 1 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 2 Post By frankienitka
  • 1 Post By dimifrandz
  • 1 Post By macw1960

Thread: New Hydro Smart Meters

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone know if Hydro is allowed (legally) to charge us for choosing not to have a smart meter in our home?

I have ignored all their communications as I am still mulling over whether or not I want to have the new Smart Meters in my home (meters are inside my house so they cannot access them without my permission).

If they are allowed to do this, does anyone know when they will start charging those of us who do not have the Smart Meter.

Any thoughts and/or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

They changed ours last week it's outside so they didn't even tell us and they cut the power and DH was working from home that day . Azzwipes

I think the only way you won't get one is if you have duel energy. Oil/gas
    2010ontest likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Is there a particular reason you don't want one?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am just not sure about the health implications, and as these are relatively new, I don't think that anyone really knows yet.

What bothers me even more though (since I already use a cell phone, microwave, wi-fi etc...) are companies charging us for opting out of something they are forcing on us to cut their costs and make more profit. It's not like I can shop around for hydro !

Do you have any thoughts on possible health implications?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I think you are going to get people on both sides of this argument. I am not particularly worried personally.

I won't be wearing my tinfoil hat in the backyard when I am near it.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

LOL... noted, I will post a NO TINFOIL NEAR THE METERS SIGN

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Funny enough I was talking with a friend who got 12 of the 14 units in their condo block to NOT get them installed.

I am thinking about getting it removed. I think I am more annoyed that they didn't even bother to ask us and just installed it without even finding out if we had duel energy.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm not sure if it can be fought. They charge you if you opt out and so far consumer protection as not given anyone an option. I personally would rather not get one due to the health factor but also the increase in hydro cost. They say that the bills can go up 20% for a lot of households. Plus how do you fight it if the electronic goes screwee, just don't trust these machines.
    Patty Smyth and Tbites like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Frankienitka, I was told by someone that by signing the opt-out document they sent everyone, you authorize them to charge you the additional monthly fee. I never signed anything, and have been completely ignoring them. I have received 3 or 4 voice messages from a company representing hydro to call and make an appointment to have the new ones installed, and have ignored those too. I want to keep my current meter, and don't want to be charged extra to do so.

Does anyone know when the additional charges for not having the smart meter will start appearing on our bills?

P.S. I have 2 meters in my basement (for myself and the upstairs tenant). If there are health implications I have a double concern!!!
    Tbites likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dimifrandz View Post
    Hi Frankienitka, I was told by someone that by signing the opt-out document they sent everyone, you authorize them to charge you the additional monthly fee. I never signed anything, and have been completely ignoring them. I have received 3 or 4 voice messages from a company representing hydro to call and make an appointment to have the new ones installed, and have ignored those too. I want to keep my current meter, and don't want to be charged extra to do so.

Does anyone know when the additional charges for not having the smart meter will start appearing on our bills?

P.S. I have 2 meters in my basement (for myself and the upstairs tenant). If there are health implications I have a double concern!!!
    So people who don't get it because they have duel energy will not be charged extra but if you opt out you will? I don't see how they can do this. Are they trying to justify the cost of sending someone to actually read the meter ? This is b.s.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, by switching everyone to the new meters, it will save them the cost of sending someone to read your meter, and if "you" chose not to let them cut that cost (which is currently including in your rates), they will tack it on to your monthly bill. My monthly bill was about 60$ per month last year, add 17$ to that, and it increases by almost 30%, with no increased usage !!!

It is complete b.s. Not sure how far I am going to take this, but I'm still holding out for now.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dimifrandz View Post
    Yes, by switching everyone to the new meters, it will save them the cost of sending someone to read your meter, and if "you" chose not to let them cut that cost (which is currently including in your rates), they will tack it on to your monthly bill. My monthly bill was about 60$ per month last year, add 17$ to that, and it increases by almost 30%, with no increased usage !!!

It is complete b.s. Not sure how far I am going to take this, but I'm still holding out for now.
    They do not have to send someone to read your meter as you can call at the beginning of the year and get a list of dates when your meter is supposed to be read. Mark it on your calendar and leave your reading by telephone once a month.
    2010ontest likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

or you could do "auto-releve" every 2 month via hydro website online. Just call them and they will give you the reference period for your home for the next 12-15 month. wrote it on your calendar to do it at the right time.

I get that info when I call them because they started to do "estimate" instead of doing real lecture here at the begining of 2013. Iwa not happy and remember me when they never come for more than a whole year in my appart 10 years ago and wanted to increase my monthy fee based on... wrong estimate.

Last Friday I received my 1st letter for the new meter installation... They will come here soon.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I wish there was something we could do but I've seen nothing so far. In the US, I think Maine, they actually past a law that you couldn't charge to opt out. Here, it's just more money for the government so they will definitely not do anything. There should be something but I'm thinking that since this is a government agency, you just have to accept it just like the increase in admin fees for your drivers license and so on. Just did a quick google and it's like that all over Canada. Guess when they come we'll have to say please and thank you unless someone decides to do a class action for double fees. As someone posted above, basic charge include meter reading.

Thread Information