User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: Postal Changes coming and another Stamp increase!!!!!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post
    I'm just wondering where they plan on putting these community boxes. I've recently moved to a condo, but I think about my old neighbourhood. I lived on a long street with very little space for sidewalks to begin with. Most areas that already have these boxes are newer developments and where the post box would be located was actually considered during the development of the community. Dropping a post box in some areas is just not practical.
    That's a really good question. Hopefully they've given it some thought and have a plan in place.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I used to have a community box in the country so I'm okay with it depending on where they are located.

Last time I communicated with CP they told me that the red box which is at least 8 large blocks away, ALL uphill is close enough to me (and its not like a its a little hill, its freakin' steep). If that's the case I know A LOT of people who won't be able to check their mail.

All these changes will mean I will stop mailing. I mail A LOT of things and just cannot justify the price with the increase. Pretty much all our friends and family do everything online and I guess I'll be going that way also. I'll miss sending hard copies! It's nice to put up Christmas cards or even invites on the fridge, etc but its not worth the expense.

Trains and trading will also be a thing of the past for me. Right now I spend $1.34 to mail most trains, with the increase it'll be more like $1.78 (assuming you buy bulk stamps) or more! That adds up FAST! I'm curious what the increase for oversized mail will be! Not to mention the wait time for people to get their envies - it can take weeks now, if people wait a few days before checking the community box then things will take even longer.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Several years ago I worked part-time for a contractor delivering rural mail by car. Along my route i had 2 large community boxes. One was 400 boxes! I didnt mind the boxes but did you know that if you are receiving a box or large envie, etc, it gets put into another larger community box and a special key and notice is placed into your box with the number of the special community box. I hated that, too much chance for a mix up. There werent a lot of those special boxes, so sometimes people had to wait a few days longer to receive a package. maybe things are done differentlyin the rest of Canada.
    madchives likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    Several years ago I worked part-time for a contractor delivering rural mail by car. Along my route i had 2 large community boxes. One was 400 boxes! I didnt mind the boxes but did you know that if you are receiving a box or large envie, etc, it gets put into another larger community box and a special key and notice is placed into your box with the number of the special community box. I hated that, too much chance for a mix up. There werent a lot of those special boxes, so sometimes people had to wait a few days longer to receive a package. maybe things are done differentlyin the rest of Canada.
    That`s how ours works. I usually only check once or twice a week unless I`m expecting something.
    madchives and SnowFlakey like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

All the community boxes around here work that way too. I used to board at a house that had one, but I didn't recieve packages back then, so I wasn't sure what they did when they ran out of boxes for packages. You would think they could just leave a delivery slip in your mail box so that you can pick it up at the post office instead. Wouldn't there be a huge build-up at Christmas time if the mail carrier has to wait until there's a free box?
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

If a package is too big for the box it gets delivered to our door.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I wish people would look at the bigger picture of all of this. Not just the minor inconvenience to some or even the major inconvenience to some. The jobs. 8000 jobs is a lot. Soon we will have no jobs. Anywhere. And that is when we'll be in dangerous times. The point of the photo I posted was that we seem to have money for wars, we seem to have money for big oil, we seem to have money for Corporate welfare. Apparently we have so much money that our Government can't account for $3.1 Billion dollars and Canadians don't seem to care. But we don't have the money to keep 8000 people employed? I don't buy it. And this is a crappy way to cut thousands of jobs ad leave many Canadians screwed for getting their mail.

And before anyone thinks I'm just too lazy to get my mail. Not even close. First as I mentioned previous I would have on problem getting mail, second I also live in an apartment building and so mail will continue to be delivered inside to the boxes we have. But that is not the point. And sadly it seems that many people far and wide are missing it.

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Luckily a lot of the 8000 jobs lost will be through retiring out. At least that is what CP says and I hope they stick to their word. A worrying factor is they intend to stop contributing to employee pension funds for 4/5 years. They have already mismanaged these funds and I fear will end up in a shortfall to meet pension requirements. That is when the government will have to step in and taxpayers end up paying for mismanagement.

Not that it will affect those execs making $200,000 + a year of course.

Soon there will be no middle. Just welfare, minimum wage and execs making a fortune
    anisa, TaraF, Patty Smyth and 1 others like this.
    Win Amazon Giftcards just by searching with Swagbucks! I've made over $700!!!

Ask me for more information on how

Tangerine Orange Key is 14221156S1

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I can't help but view this move by Canada Post as a way for the Government to privatize our mail service. I read a great OP which makes a great point or five.
    madchives likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

cross country check is about the post office
    i am a little worried what some might say, but then again
    people who phone in etc. are usually not the kiddos,
    with their fancy-dancy contraptions

http://www.cbc.ca/checkup/

in case you don't know it is a 2 hour - no breaks for news -
    show, but you can listen anytime, although i do like live myself.

did i mention i worked at cp, for a total of 8 years, before the back thingy?
    was a union steward, gay and on their 'hit list', and yes they got me.
    so if i appear slightly nasty,,,,, you now know why.
    (i used to hand sort at christmas time, one did try to get a lot done)
    Last edited by madchives; Sun, Dec 15th, 2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: oh heck, why doe sc add blank lines sometimes? eh?
    if you have some spare time

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Yes, larger boxes were either delivered to the house or if the people werent home, the boxes went to the local post office for pick-up which closed at 5:30PM.

The 8,000 jobs will be eliminated over several years and mostly wil be done through attrition, people retiring or quitting. And yes, i agree that the most worrying thing is the Pension Fund contributions! Im forever in the Post Office buying stamps and mailing stuff because my hobby is selling on EBay. The postage increase and scaled back delivery service will affect millions of Canadians, not to mention the impact this will make in our economy.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the thing that gets me, is that sometimes companies 'scare' people with
    their dire circumstances that will cause us to feel sorry for them
    but canada post as far as i remember doesn't, darn.
    the radio show, did of course have a lot of older people calling in - who would have to walk
    up a hill, or ask a neighbour who they don't know etc. to get their mail.
    one thought she may have to get a taxi, to get to the 'post office',
    for an essential service?
    the tory's cut the cbc budget by $115 million over 3 years so,,,
    guess we should not be surprised.
    heil harper, shoot heil is not really right so sorry
    Last edited by madchives; Mon, Dec 16th, 2013 at 07:49 AM.
    if you have some spare time

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Feb 2nd, 2015 at 05:04 PM.
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Lettermail just isn't an essential service anymore. There are fax machines, email, couriers all sorts of other options. It's not going to be relevant in the future. The future is paperless.
    Then why 2 years ago did Lisa Raitt declare canada post so essential to the Canadian economy that they were forced back to work. Or the fact they've been in profit for 17 straight years.

I agree lettermail not as needed but Canada post is still a service most people need. When CP still handles just under 10 billion pieces of lettermail a year I think someone is using them.
    TaraF, Insane, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    Win Amazon Giftcards just by searching with Swagbucks! I've made over $700!!!

Ask me for more information on how

Tangerine Orange Key is 14221156S1

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:32 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information