User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Stamps Going Up To $1 In 2014 - Start Buying P Stamps Now!!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Copied from SC blog:

After many rumours of change, Canada Post has confirmed that changes are coming to the way we receive our mail. Having mail carriers go door to door is just too expensive and starting next year, they will start to phase out door to door delivery of mail. This does not mean you will not receive mail, just that Canada Post will start installing community mailboxes in most neighbourhoods and you will pick your mail up from the box rather than at your door. For me, this doesn’t mean much but with a lot of elderly neighbours, I feel for them while walking out in high heat / cold icy wintery days to check for mail after being so used to delivery at the door.

• 5,094,694 people get door-to-door delivery in Canada.
    • Average cost per address is $269.
    • 3,804, 574 get mail through group mail boxes.
    • Average cost per box is $117.

This also means that less mail carriers will be needed, 6000-8000 will lose their jobs over the next five years (although CPC says that more than this amount are set to retire in that time period).
    On top of that, stamps are about to increase by a huge amount, currently stamps cost $0.63 but starting on March 31, 2014 you will pay $1 per stamp (or buy them in a book of 10 or more and pay $0.85) – coupon traders, start buying permanent stamps now! Will such a high stamp price impact what you send by mail?

Read more details here
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post
    operabob, walkonby and nessa23 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

WOW! That's a lot for stamps!

Last month we got a notice that mail service was changing and we'd see mail trucks on our street, and delivery would be delayed (we get door-to-door mail).
    This is a huge jump!

I also spoke to my local SDM postage lady who told me they've been experimenting with machines scanning our mail instead of humans. She said with that, a lot of errors have been made. i.e. if you have messy writing, the machine might not be able to read the postal code you wrote, and therefore the letter will be returned to you etc.

tricky!!
    WHATT, You aren't doing Swagbucks? http://swagbucks.com/refer/acosta22

TRADE:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members/acosta/
    FT TONS OF NEW COUPONS JUST UPDATED

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

That's not good
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

IMO they're just hastening their extinction.
    Poirot, dariusz8 and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by acosta View Post
    WOW! That's a lot for stamps!

Last month we got a notice that mail service was changing and we'd see mail trucks on our street, and delivery would be delayed (we get door-to-door mail).
    This is a huge jump!

I also spoke to my local SDM postage lady who told me they've been experimenting with machines scanning our mail instead of humans. She said with that, a lot of errors have been made. i.e. if you have messy writing, the machine might not be able to read the postal code you wrote, and therefore the letter will be returned to you etc.

tricky!!
    That is already the case in many areas (and why you get ripped mail, the machines are brutal on the mail) but typically it doesn't get returned, the machine spits it into a bin for a person to manually sort
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

WOW.. i feel terrible for whats happening to not only Canada post and their employees but frankly so many companies right now..
    I swear my dh was right a few years ago he 'heard' of a prediction.. somewhere.. well its all starting to come true.
    anyway.. we already have a community mail box. and if my parents have one.. i'm a block away i'll certainly make it my priority to make sure they get it every day.
    and $1 a stamp.. geebers.. glad i don't mail much.. thankfully a family member works where they can obtain bulk buys of it.. that'll help my mom out big time.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Wow a $1 is a huge increase! I'll be stocking up on P stamps but I do think all these new changes will drastically cut my mail use.

As it is most people we know opt for e-cards and evites because they are faster and cheaper. Think I'll be switching over also, which is a bummer because I love getting and sending actual hard copies (nothing like a hand written note).

I recently emailed CP about red box locations (there isn't one within a decent walking distance to me) but they pretty much just told me the closest one is at XX street and that's close enough. I hope when the new community box shows up its much closer!
    Ciel and hijinx25 like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They took a lot of the red boxes out near me too, when I moved here the closest one was a 5 min walk (and I go close to it going to work anyway) but now its quite far and not in the nicest area so I typically wait until I get to Toronto to mail stuff
    Ciel likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

At least we have two more months to use 63 cent stamps-usually the price hike occurs in mid-January. Small blessing...
    My concern is how many keys come with each community mailbox?
    I will miss seeing the postal delivery van and knowing when the mail has arrived. Another community issue-whoever has the community mailbox stand parked near their property will see an increased in dropped admail on the ground.
    Red letter mailboxes-if they continue to disappear, then Canadians have to rely on trekking to the post office or hoping their mailout box on the community mailbox stand has room for their mail?

You can bet that most freebies will switch to e-mail codes or something that recipient prints off before redeeming the printout in-store. Unless a company pays a promotional company to do a handout in high-traffic areas or on weekends in stores across the land...

And we all know that the Government of Canada is doing away with paper cheques next year, which is "Year of the Direct Deposit" (my designation). Wonder if there'll be a stamp created for that?

I agree with Fallen Pixels-sometimes if one is travelling to an urban area, it can be easier to take outgoing mail to a central post office or business district with red letter boxes than keeping it for local boxes that you have to look for.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Dec 11th, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also wonder if they will stop selling the rolls of stamps soon too. when the TTC is increasing fares they stop selling tokens in buld and only let you buy 5 or 10 at a time to ensure that you can not stock up.
    Ciel and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by majormom View Post
    I also wonder if they will stop selling the rolls of stamps soon too. when the TTC is increasing fares they stop selling tokens in buld and only let you buy 5 or 10 at a time to ensure that you can not stock up.
    They removed all P stamps from their website and only have 63c ones now - with months before the increase (btw there are still changes already okayed for Jan that are taking place including a $5 package cost to high cost delivery areas)

Then they posted this on twitter
    Name:  CP.PNG
Views: 1351
Size:  25.9 KB
    So permanent stamps are not permanent like this says?
    Name:  permastamp.PNG
Views: 1973
Size:  182.0 KB
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Red letter mailboxes-if they continue to disappear, then Canadians have to rely on trekking to the post office or hoping their mailout box on the community mailbox stand has room for their mail?
    The 'super mail boxes" have a slot for your outgoing stamped mail.
    The 'super mail boxes" --2 keys is what we got.
    The 'super mail boxes" have a part for small and medium size parcel delivery. They put the key in your small box and you put the key in the mail slot when you are finished.

I am really sorry to hear about the loss in jobs. And they announced this when they closed parliament for the holidays. Sneaky.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/abou...rporate/ap.jsf
    The Five-point action plan

Limit on number of free lookups of postal codes will be 50 per user per day, beginning next year.
    http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/pers...pc_warning.jsf

Just realized that it's going to be harder to redirect someone's mail into their box unless I know them/they have a mailbox on their house.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information