• 4 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 3 Post By torontogal12
  • 2 Post By Shirnette
  • 1 Post By avoncallingu
  • 1 Post By oscarandme

Thread: Boxing Day Calm

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I didn't rush out this morning to go Boxing Day shopping for the first time in years.

I wandered through Target, Sears, and the mall at around 3:00 this afternoon, and didn't see anything fabulous. I watched people at Target load up on Christmas items at 50% off, and I picked up a few relatively new-release teen books for my classroom for 50% off. Honestly, if you need gift wrap, wait until about August and buy one of the big rolls from Costco for around $10. I've had a roll of great-quality paper for two years. I've wrapped huge gifts with that one roll of paper (multiple shirt and sweater boxes, boxes of toys, Cheer board Christmas gifts, a roaster oven, a Keurig, and a barbecue), and it still looks like a full roll that may last another two Christmases!)

I know there are some doorcrasher specials that people really want, but after a few years of Smartcanucks, I know that some of the best deals on stuff I use actually happen later... I'm sure Target will have 70% off on Christmas stuff soon. Last year, Walmart cleared out Christmas bags at $0.25 each in January. Superstore clears out toys at 75% off in February. Some Shoppers locations really clear stuff out at giveaway prices just around the new year. Sears has 40% off clearance now, but there will be further markdowns accompanied by widespread clearance and extra discounts in February as well, followed by another major clearance in July. Last year, Walmart cleared out kids' winter boots at $5 a pair at the beginning of March. I picked up Lego at Target for 50% off before Christmas, as well as $5 fancy dresses and sweaters for my nieces' birthdays next August. Carlton Cards clears out greeting cards for 10 for $1 a couple of times a year, so I'm sure something will be happening in the next few weeks with their rack Christmas cards.

I really think we need somehow to develop a community calendar of when the really major deals have happened. Retailers are always sending out ads for their "big sales", but it would help if we could track when the really great deals have appeared so we all know when to buy!
    This thread is currently associated with: Carlton Cards, Costco, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Sears, Shoppers Drug Mart, Target, Walmart
    redfox, banana03, MeMew and 10 others like this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I agree ! I wait until January the sales are awesome then (at least on clothes !!)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

right now I m only getting stuff that are 70% off and just couple of 50% christmas items that I know will sell out by the time it hits 70%.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

you are right-i need bottle bag and at shoppers yesterday they were .99-nop I will wait til they are cheaper
    avoncallingu and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Great brag. Great thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Honestly, if you need gift wrap, wait until about August and buy one of the big rolls from Costco for around $10. I've had a roll of great-quality paper for two years. I've wrapped huge gifts with that one roll of paper (multiple shirt and sweater boxes, boxes of toys, Cheer board Christmas gifts, a roaster oven, a Keurig, and a barbecue), and it still looks like a full roll that may last another two Christmases!)
    Thanks for this tip. Will check out Costco for their gift wrap. Like you, I find the $0.25 Walmart gift bag deal is great for after Christmas/after Boxing Day/after New Year's to stock up.
    avoncallingu and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

good to know. i remember stocking up on gift bags about 5 yrs ago (boxing wk madness)...I STILL have a ton of them left.

really there is nothing i need, so i avoid boxing day like the plague. i tend to shop for xmas gifts all yr long if i find a really good deal.
    redfox, avoncallingu and Shwa Girl like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sometimes it does pay to wait until January. I think if you are lucky enough to have a few Walmarts in your area there is always something left. Some years it's bags, some years it's chocolates. Different people are looking for different things. Good luck to everyone on their quest

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

nice brag and good advice on pricing

I had been eyeing a sweater for months and months and bought it online because I never found it in the store and it was finally on clearance now. It disappeared from the site after I bought it so I think I got the last one!

No mall for me. Eaton Centre is our closest mall and I definitely avoid on Boxing Day
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Agreed. If you folks google, there is a site online that tells Canadians when is the best time to buy specific items.
    Shwa Girl and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I WANTED to get a couple of things yesterday but I was SO POOPED that all I had energy for was picking up a script at the Pharmacy. Thanks for the timeline, Minou! I also have enough of EVERYTHING to do with wrapping for next year. (In fact, some mousies found there way into the box in our shed this summer and used the tubes as tunnels! When I picked up a tube of wrap, I would get "evidence" falling out of the bottom! LOL! Some of the paper even had little "nibbles" out of it.)
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Minou, as always valuable advice. Thank you for sharing.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Target has 70% off now on Christmas stuff. Large packages of tissue paper work out to $0.90, and small gift bags are $0.30.

Thread Information