User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is it worth buying an extra or extended warranty for an iPad mini?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The extra 1 year warranty is approximately $100.00. I haven't looked into the details of what it covers. I've heard Apple products don't break down as easily and you don't need one. Opinions?
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

guess it depends on what it is.. if its a computer.. consider the price of getting it fixed WITHOUT a warranty once.. its usually worth it.. while some may disagree..
    we've always invested in them for our larger or more $$ purchases. it has worked out so far.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

There are some situations wherein the risk of damage makes it worth the OOP for extended warranty. If you would be using the iPad outside and exposed to weather of sorts, the risk of damage might be high enough to make it worth getting.
    Budget wise, decide on how likely you may need the extra coverage based on your own comfort level, and incidents of accidental damage.

Also, extra warranties are out there to make money.

Good Luck with your decision!!!
    bhlombardy and toban like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree whole heartedly with SunandMoon. Yes, let's hope, however that your extended warranty actually covers accidental damage and the terms associated with that. Not all of them do, so be wary and ask when you purchase.

ALSO... depending on how you plan to pay for it, your credit card may already 'insure' the product with additional warranty, and perhaps even accidental damage coverage. Many credit cards offer this protection and most people aren't even aware. Check your credit card policy terms on this.

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

Depends on what it covers and how you'll be using it. When I bought my iphone I opted for AppleCare+, which will get me a new phone, no questioned asked for $50 (up to 2 times) It doesnt matter what happened to it, if I drop it in a puddle and it's water damaged or if my daughter takes it out of the case and smashes the screen. Because I have 2 kids it was worth it to me!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We just bought new iPods for the boys and opted not to cover them as the extended warranty did not cover the screen and that is the only issue we have had. And that was only with one, the other was just old and the teen wanted anewer version I am using a 1st generation iPad bought days after they were released and it still works like a charm, the battery life is challenged but all things considered its not bad. I find you really have to read the fine print to see what is covered and under what circumstances.
    enjoy your new toy
    blueeyetea likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

When we bought new phones a couple months ago at Costco, they offered me an extended warranty for $50 I think it was. When I asked what it covered, they said everything but physical damage (dropping it) and water damage. IMO, those are the only two things that would happen to it, if other failure occurred it would be under the regular warranty anyhow. So we declined.
    Natalka likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Most credit card insurance coverage specifically exclude electronics like computers etc. so I would not count on then covering an item like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    I agree whole heartedly with SunandMoon. Yes, let's hope, however that your extended warranty actually covers accidental damage and the terms associated with that. Not all of them do, so be wary and ask when you purchase.

ALSO... depending on how you plan to pay for it, your credit card may already 'insure' the product with additional warranty, and perhaps even accidental damage coverage. Many credit cards offer this protection and most people aren't even aware. Check your credit card policy terms on this.
    mulock likes this.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrylj View Post
    Most credit card insurance coverage specifically exclude electronics like computers etc. so I would not count on then covering an item like that.
    ...which is why I suggested to check with the terms of their credit card policy.

But really "most"??

Three of my four major credit cards do, in fact, cover computers and computer equipment. One of those three, however will NOT, cover space-craft (go figure, but it specifically mentions that in the terms) so that lunar rover I bought won't be covered.

So again, before excluding it or assuming it doesnt, I'd still recommend checking the terms.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Jan 5th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all your suggestions. I know Staples extended warranty includes accidental breakage. I believe for replacing the ipad mini 1 x if you drop it. If it needs repair, they send it to another depot in the city. I haven't looked in Apple care yet. In the past I have purchased extended warranties for the desktop computer I had.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Consider that if it breaks on you quick that it will cost you more than $100 to get a new one. I think it is worth it!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you have a 2 years old kid at home, just buy it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Usually apple store will provide 1 years warranty, why you wanna to buy extra warranty?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you are buying the iPad using a credit card, check with the credit card company because some cards offer to double the manufacturers warranty if you purchase it using the card.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information