User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By EvilTofu
  • 1 Post By krissyhi
  • 1 Post By anisa

Thread: Why can't we have great clearance sales like the U.S.?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We went to Target yesterday in Niagara Falls, NY and all their Christmas items were 90% off or more!! We got four sets of 400 outdoor white lights for a whopping total of $11.99! We went to our local target today (Ajax ON) and the Christmas items were 70% off (which is way better than most stores) but these same sets of lights were originally $20 more than in the U.S. to start with. It's crazy...why don't Canadian stores hugely discount out-of-season items to clear them from their stock?! Makes no sense to me.
    This thread is currently associated with: Target

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Yes, I agree, differences exist between the two countries:

US salaries for employees lower than Canada.
    Some Canadian retail workers are unionized and costs are affected.
    Canadian dollar versus US dollar.
    Canadian economy costs versus US economy costs.
    Canadian cost of living versus US cost of living.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

On a positive note, Florida strawberries in Florida cost $2.99 and in Canada, Florida strawberries on sale cost $1.99.

In Florida, Florida oranges can cost $2.99 a bag and costs $2.99 a bag in Canada. Same price. Different countries.

Fall in Ontario, Ontario grown crops can be cheap, cheap, cheap. Rutabagas in Ontario can be as low as $0.49/lb. The same rutabagas shipped to Florida is $0.90/lb.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

US and Canada are different countries. Afterall, you don't compare prices to Ireland, China or Denmark. Why do people always envy US savings? Their economic structure comes with a cost such as high medical bills and disappearing pension.
    GoJays likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, not all countries are US.
    annedougherty likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

It seems cheap to us because we take our rich caanadian incomes with us. There is a reason that living standards in the US are much lower than here. It wouldn,t be as attractive if we actually lived there.
    GoJays likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lots pf people in Canada have the attitude if it costs a lot it must be good.Zellers when closing down got cleaned out of stuff at higher than regular sale prices.Some people in Canada don't follow what the regular prices and sales prices they just buy what they want when they want it.If stores in Canada can get more money out of people of course they will try to get it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with Sharon88, deals are great in the States and depending on where you go the tax could be 0%, in New Hampshire to 4-7% in New York State. But, you have to know your prices, some things are very expensive, for example, water at Wal-mart,on sale,in the aisle for Nestle 24 bottles was $5.99!! So wonder parents buy soft drinks instead of water for the family!! Costume jewellery in the states is crazy, $40.00 for a necklace I can get at Suzy Shier for $3-5 (on sale)..we just like to make a day of it, get gas cheaper, some groceries (we have a lot of good deals here).
    I also agree with Poirot, just because the store says it's a deal it might not be...my husband saw something in the aisle at Walmart (forget what it was, but it indicated roll-back was $5.99,he thought it must be a good deal! I said no it was $1.99 last week at no frills!! He's getting better, but I don't ask him to pick up much!!

Thread Information