• 6 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By beckie.c
  • 5 Post By super807
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 3 Post By kmiecp
  • 2 Post By anisa
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: Canadian Benefits - Is This True?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So a friend of mine shared this photo on Facebook and it got me thinking ... Is this really true? Do refugees really get higher benefits than retirees? I'm not sure that these numbers are correct, ie don't seniors get CPP in addition to OAS and GIS?

If these numbers are correct, how does everyone feel about this?

Name:  canada.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  57.9 KB

Thanks for your input and Happy Tuesday!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

NO, it's not true - it's a hoax, an urban legend...

You are advised to send correct information to those who are perpetuating this old myth.
    Sure wish people would fact-check before posting things like this.

http://ccrweb.ca/en/refugees-and-inc...ensioners-myth
    http://www.hoax-slayer.com/canadian-...refugees.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigra...s_urban_legend
    DianneS, emg, spanishpoet and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Facebook posts like this drive me bonkers, mis-information designed to look like fact and elicit a strong emotional response from readers. (Isn't that like the definition of trolling?)

Now, if someone were to write an article on the underlying causes of senior poverty and predictions for the future of our aging population, using credible sources that would be something worth sharing on FB and raising awareness about
    Last edited by beckie.c; Tue, Jan 14th, 2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: clarify i mean facebook posts, not this post :P
    Natalka likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Natalka, thanks for posting your links. Really interesting reading about the true numbers and how this rumour spread. Unfortunately, these types of things really promote division and even hatred towards others.

CouponLover, thanks for asking if it was true, which allowed the opportunity for us to get the real information, helping us to combat this type of misinformation if we encounter it elsewhere.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks everyone for your input. I didn't want to share that info on Facebook unless I knew it was true which is why I posted it on Smartcanucks.ca to get others input.

Thanks for the links Natalka. I posted those links on Facebook. I'm glad that this is a myth!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I knew when I saw it - my husband's brother and family came to Canada as refugees from the war in Croatia in the early '90s, and even with family help here, from our church, and some from the government, they had a really hard time.
    beckie.c likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't beleive it says "people who actually deserve it"- as in refugees dont deseve help...Do they even know what REFUGEE means??
    Natalka, emg and eggroll like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

There is a reason why refugees generally have to be sponsored...our church community has sponsored numerous refugees over the years and, believe me, they need help to get themselves established. On a side note, some of the refugees really seem to think that once they are in Canada the money will flow. There appears to be a misconception amongst third world that everyone in Canada is rich lol.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

CouponLover, you saw something that didn't make sense, and you asked questions. Now we all are a little more informed than we were before we read this thread

So many people don't ask, they just assume that some infiltrator is taking away from them, get all riled up over it, and continue to spread the mis-information.
    Natalka and CouponLover618 like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

My family frequently send me both the British and Canadian versions, the only difference being in UKP rather than CND.

eta generally with the pleasant "Hur, Hur you choose to move wrongly to Canada"....

For people who claim to want England to remain English thier spelling and grammer can leave a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Wed, Jan 15th, 2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add eta
    anisa likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kmiecp View Post
    I can't beleive it says "people who actually deserve it"- as in refugees dont deseve help...Do they even know what REFUGEE means??

That annoys me on a different level since it can imply that people who came here legally as adults are not deserving since they haven't paid in for the 40 or 50 years that is needed according to the scare-spreaders...
    anisa likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Thread Information