User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kerrylj
  • 4 Post By anisa

Thread: Bell or Rogers?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I don't know if this is where I should post this - apologies if not - but I need help!!??

I am moving next month and where I currently live cable and internet is included. Now I need cable and internet!

Just looking for advise, tips, guidance in who I should go with Bell or Rogers (I live in the GTA - peel region).... Don't want a home phone - only cable and internet.

Looking for best price for service.... would love to hear from anyone on it...

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell, Rogers (Plus)

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

We're looking as well. When we first moved here, we went with Bell because DH "hates Rogers more". He had a $50 credit with Rogers that they just would not return. We moved to an area serviced by Bell (so Rogers did not service that area) and Rogers said they would retain the credit until we moved back to an area where there was service. We haven't moved in the past five years.....so I thought that was pretty funny on their part. Even though we kept calling for two years, Rogers kept our money.

When I had an account with Bell, I also had a $3 credit when I cancelled the phone. The next invoice said $0.00. I called in to ask what happened to the $3 (there was some weird $3 charge on the bill) and they said they simply charged to "zero the account". I called to ask for my money back before, but it was the same idea as Rogers. No refunds but you can apply the credit to any other Bell/Rogers account. Interestingly, Bell charges the customer to straighten out their books.... I eventually did get back my money, but not before a whole lot of hassle and time.

We're currently looking for phone/internet. You can get quotes from both, but they'll match the other's prices so there is no difference in cost (at least that I've currently found). After two decades of dealing with both, I don't think there is a difference in service either - just people and how polite they are.

I think the nickname for both companies are justified so we're looking for an alternative.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

They're both the devil... are you allowed to have a satellite dish? We're with Shaw for our tv and have no complaints - awesome customer service.. as for internet, we're with Bell-zebub.. don't go with them, trust me. I haven't heard anything positive about Rogers either.. some people that i know have mentioned teksavvy and haven't used too many curse words when talking about it but I haven't really looked into them.... yet.....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This is a tough question to answer because there are so many variables.

Look at what each company is offering, then call them both to get pricing. As a new customer, you'll get a good deal by bundling both services, and make sure they know that you're also talking with their competitor. Make sure to ask about installation fees, as well as rental fees for modens, digital boxes and PVRs. If at all possible, don't get suckered into any one, two, or three year deals. You want no contract, but if you must, take a one-year deal to get better pricing, but that will involve doing the whole thing again next year if you don't want huge price hikes.

For me personally, I have my landline and internet with Bell, and cable with Rogers.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This one is tricky as I am not a fan of dealing with either but we have our cable with Rogers as it would have cost us a fortune to go with Bell. When comparing plans to get the channels we wanted with Bell we would have had to buy a number of "extra bundles" and to get a select number of channels we watch regularly we would be getting a large number of channels we would never watch so Rogers was the better deal.

We on the other hand have our home phone and internet with Bell for 2 reasons one due to their opps I have an amazing long distance plan they cannot take away from me or change unless I make a change and two I have heard really bad things when it comes to Rogers and Phone service and since we have our internet through the phone (DSL) we were not willing to risk it with Rogers. For quite sometime in our area Rogers Phone customers could only call or receive calls from other Rogers Phones and no one could figure out why I know some people who had to deal with this for months with Rogers continuously telling them they were looking into it and working on it, no compensation offered and since they were in a contract unless they wanted to buy it out no real choice as the buy out would have hundreds of dollars.

As for customer service neither are good. Not to sound rude but the people at Bell never speak English and I am pretty sure there purpose is to annoy you until you say screw it and hang up on them. In most cases I find it is not me understanding them it them understanding me, I cannot count the number of time I get in some form of broken English I do not understand the problem or they ask to explain in a different way (trust when I say my questions are not hard usually something like explain why my bill went up or what is this charge for). Where is Rogers they do speak English but can never give you a straight answer and they have a funny habit of transferring your call to another department. Cannot tell you the number of times I have been on hold with cable to hear mobile service how can I help you (FYI I do not have a cell phone with Rogers) and than trying to get transferred back is a headache and a half not to mention you have to start back at square one as you can never get the same rep even if you have their name, I have tried.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I use teksavvy for internet and then have a cell with speakout and a magicjack as a home phone. I have an antenna for TV and often find I can find enough online to watch when I want that I don't use my TV much.

You are in the GTA so the antenna is not bad at all over with a small set-up (it antenna off a balcony) that it makes it an ok option.

After a really bad incident with rogers damaging my house while I was not even a customer and the terrible and overpriced service I got from BHell I am very happy to not deal with either of them. (Not to mention the savings over the last few years.)
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

we had bell for many years, and the thing I hated with them was that their call centres were overseas. It took forever to communicate with them because although they spoke english, it took triple the amount of time to explain a situation to them because they just didn't get it. It's difficult when the person you have called for help is the one who needs help understanding what you are trying to get across to them.

for that reason alone I went over to Rogers. they are both expensive, both like to play the gimmick game, and I haven't been screwed over by either so to me they are very similar.

having said that, I have been using magicjack for home phone for about 3 years now, no complaints. $50 for a year of unlimited service in North America. Yup, that beats bell and rogers hands down!

We have purchased an HD antenna to go Over The Air with our TV, and are going to dump Rogers cable. It is too expensive even with a 50% discount, and we do not need to watch 200 channels. My pocket will be happier, and hopefully the kids' brains will rot at a slower rate

I would like to switch internet, but am not decided yet on which way to go.

I know I've rambled a bit, but just sharing that there are options if Bell and Rogers still don't cut it for you, although my choices might seem a little extreme to some
    kerrylj, GoJays, Mia and 1 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I was able to change my internet to teksavvy and for the same price as I was paying get basically twice the service. They are worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    we had bell for many years, and the thing I hated with them was that their call centres were overseas. It took forever to communicate with them because although they spoke english, it took triple the amount of time to explain a situation to them because they just didn't get it. It's difficult when the person you have called for help is the one who needs help understanding what you are trying to get across to them.

for that reason alone I went over to Rogers. they are both expensive, both like to play the gimmick game, and I haven't been screwed over by either so to me they are very similar.

having said that, I have been using magicjack for home phone for about 3 years now, no complaints. $50 for a year of unlimited service in North America. Yup, that beats bell and rogers hands down!

We have purchased an HD antenna to go Over The Air with our TV, and are going to dump Rogers cable. It is too expensive even with a 50% discount, and we do not need to watch 200 channels. My pocket will be happier, and hopefully the kids' brains will rot at a slower rate

I would like to switch internet, but am not decided yet on which way to go.

I know I've rambled a bit, but just sharing that there are options if Bell and Rogers still don't cut it for you, although my choices might seem a little extreme to some
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

OK so this is what I've found - please weigh in with your thoughts:

Rogers - VIP TV 200 channels, includes 1 digital terminal plus up to adapters for up to 4 tvs (we have 3) No PVR + Internet 300 GB/month - No installation fee, no contact - $110/month (incl tx)

Bell - Select Fibe HD TV 193 channels (slice and amc not included), includes 1 pvr and one receiever, 2 tvs (extra $7 if we want to hook up the 3rd tv) + Internet 25/10 package, 100GB/month - $90/month for first 3 months - then $120 for remainder of contract - (price incls tax) PLUS $50 installation fee PLUS I'm locked in fro 2 years on a contract - oh and I get a $4/mo discount on my cell bill for bundling.

Seems pretty obvious to me - unless I'm missing something?? service difference maybe?

Any thoughts??

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Neither. I would rather cut an arm off than touch Rogers again, and I've heard Bell is absolute garbage as well.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

So I think I've decided to go with Rogers - and now I have two different offers to consider:
    Option 1: VIP TV 200 channels, includes 1 digital terminal plus up to adapters for up to 4 tvs (we have 3) No PVR + Internet 300 GB/month - No installation fee, no contact - $110/month (incl tx)
    Option 2: Digital Plus TV 85 channels - includes PVR and 2 additional boxes, + Internet 120 GB/month - $150 credit towards services on my 3rd bill - no install fee, no contract - $103/month (incl tx)

HELP!!! I don't know what to do - I am so un-techy - and I don't know if the tv bundles are comparable or if 120 vs 300 GB is HUGE - anyone....??

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

well i just made the call a few days ago to cancel my cable. in about a month we will be strictly over the air with a $100 antenna which will get me at least a dozen high definition channels that are even better than cable, because the cable companies compress the signal. for the very few shows that I watch i can stream online. this will transalte to less mindless channel surfing and fewer commercials to tolerate.

back to topic

I have been using rogers for cable, and was paying $90 for their VIP package with Nextbox3. I was locked in for 2 years
    I was doing rent-to-own for the nextbox, which is a somewhat flexible arrangement, check with their cust. service rep.
    rent to own was $17.50/mo
    VIP cable was $35/mo
    digital services fee (whatever!) 2.99/mo
    minus 1.50 for bundling with internet

do you do a lot of streaming? when i am watching a lot of shows online, i use maybe 60gb. last month i watched no shows, and i was under 10.
    good luck!
    Last edited by anisa; Wed, Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Thinking of applying for either Rogers or Bell? Don't call them, or apply by internet. Go directly to their booths (kiosks, stores) and talk to their reps. Both of them are almost same but direct reps can be different so deals can be, too.
    Last edited by Mia; Thu, Jan 30th, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Thread Information