• 1 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 2 Post By CouponingTrini
  • 3 Post By Melissaanne2090
  • 5 Post By cinpow
  • 9 Post By Peachykeen2007
  • 1 Post By 2shopmom
  • 1 Post By Chantel
  • 1 Post By Debvictoria

Thread: Stockpile question for everyone! Help me!

New to SC, not trades! :)
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Hi friends, I usually keep my paper towel and toilet paper stockpile on a big stack in my basement, and when the snow melts or it rains our basement gets wet, so the stack
    usually falls down and the toilet paper stockpile ends up on the floor. How do YOU keep your PT and TP? On a plastic resin shelf? Or somehow else?

Please help!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    sdddmd and HeatherWake like this.

Trading Score
    88 (99%)

Hey Melis!
    My basement is quite dry so I just stack on the floor. How deep does your basement flood?? Ive seen pics of your basement and you have a lot of room...maybe pick up a free wooden skid from behind an industrial unit to stack your stock on, and if your basement doesnt flood above a couple inches!

Trading Score
    74 (100%)

It floods alright! I am using that technique now. The problem
    Is that if I have it stacked I have to have it against the wall, then the wall gets wet, we have to move it and it all tumbles!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

We have a humidity problem and I ended up putting the tp and paper towels on tiles , didn't glue down the ceramic tiles just placed them there and they no longer absorb that smell out of the cement. Maybe use cinder blocks if you need a little more height off the ground. Can you put a couple of pieces of wood on the walls to prop the pile away from touching it?
    Melissaanne2090 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought 2 large Rubbermaid tote to store paper product (toilet paper, tissue and paper towels). Once they were full, I covered them and started stacking the remainder on top of the totes, that way if there is a flood in the basement there is no was my paper products will be damaged.
    walkonby and Melissaanne2090 like this.

Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Thanks everyone, this is what I was able to do with the stuff I got from Walmart today.
    GeorgiaK, sdddmd and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

get all the paper products above the ground as high as possible. I organize my shelf so that bottled items like cleaners, shampoos, soaps etc stays at the lower level and all the paper products on the top levels.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

do something like this - I know when I lived in a house we had multiple of the black shelves, any thing that could be ruined by water was up on the top shelf

Name:  1021-stockpile-update-whole-room.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  36.6 KB
    Last edited by Peachykeen2007; Tue, Jan 21st, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
    leymi15, 2shopmom, wifey and 6 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    111 (100%)

and keep the heavier items on the bottom shelves so that it doesn't tip over. The TP and PT would be lighter than detergent and cleaners.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I put them on top of stuff. Occasionally someone overfills the washing machine and it floods so I try to keep everything off the floor.

But of course don't be silly and place them right under exposed pipes, either. That won't end well if something breaks.

Like CouponingTrini said, if there's not much above-stuff space, I'd buy some totes, fill them, and then stack the rest on top. Bungee cords or string might be your friends here. At least that way they won't get wet if there's a flood. Absolute worst-case scenario, use a cardboard box and double-bag it with black garbage bags to act as your base. If you act quickly in the event of a flood most of it will probably be A-OK. If water leaks from the top, bag the top so the water runs off.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    get all the paper products above the ground as high as possible. I organize my shelf so that bottled items like cleaners, shampoos, soaps etc stays at the lower level and all the paper products on the top levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachykeen2007 View Post
    do something like this - I know when I lived in a house we had multiple of the black shelves, any thing that could be ruined by water was up on the top shelf

Name:  1021-stockpile-update-whole-room.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  36.6 KB
    This is what I do.

I have the black resin shelves. Everything that is heavy goes on the lower shelves and as the shelves get higher lighter stuff is placed. So the top and second shelf from the top both are filled with TP, PT, Tissues.

I think this would work well for you because then its much higher above any possible flood line. Plus you can just drag it out from the wall if needed and problem solved.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    107 (100%)

My basement is unfinished. So bare cement blocks are behind some of my stockpile. I bought a cheap table cloth from the dollar store and used dh staple gun to hang it up behind stock pile. Its working fine, but it has only been a few months. I still need to get thru the spring thaw!!!
    LF rice crackers, granola bars,any oj

Thread Information