User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Was trying to figure out which one is cheaper? Came up with that concentrate is actually cheaper per oz. This doesn't seem right.

Anyone else do the math?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Totally off topic of cost...but the powder is sooo much healthier for your baby if you have to use formula at all.
    The amount of heat used to seal and sanitize during packaging seeps into the liquid much more than the powder!

Here's a link to one of many pages that explain why:
    http://www.ewg.org/reports/infantformula

• Powdered formulas are a better choice. Our calculations indicate that babies fed reconstituted powdered formula likely receive 8 to 20 times less BPA than those fed liquid formula from a metal can.
    Where is my mail?

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

Are you serious?I have not done the math but I always found powder way cheaper! Maybe I am just dumb,lol. IF I could have afforded the ready made ones all the time, I think I may have thought about it.Well not with the health concern btut you know! On the days you just can't handle the baby or for a outing here and there.
    Last edited by kris10; Wed, Aug 17th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good to know! Thanks Sweetie deals~ We are heading to Victoria soon and I thought it would be easier to feed out baby the concentrate while on the road rather than dealing with the powder on the road but I think I will put up with the mess than cause any health issues/problems from using the canned concentrate

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

It may have changed (it's been a number of years) but I found it worked out to over a third less per 8 oz. to use the powder over the concentrate... I understand about the health concern with giving the concentrate, but I'm pretty sure that a couple of days using concentrate would not hurt your baby. It might be worth the convenience for your trip...

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

My first daughter was formula fed and I used liquid concentrate, found it to be about te same price oz for oz and the powder is soo foamy!

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I think powder is cheaper. My daughter was powder fed but it didn`t work for her so I had to switch to concentraded.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

a case of 12 cans of concentrate is generally around $45 (give or take) each can makes 770mL of formula.
    One can of concentrate ($3.75 per can) = 770mL = 26 ounces (29.57mL per 1 ounce)
    26ounces x 12 = 312ounces
    cost per ounce is about $.14

If you buy the cans individually at $3.99 per can it will cost you $.15 per ounce.

900g of powder costs around $24
    one scoop = roughly 8.7 grams = 103.5 scoops per can
    one scoop = 2oz = 207oz per can of powder formula
    cost per ounce is about $.12

I like the powder a LOT more than the concentrate.

I also REALLY hate pre making bottles to store in the fridge and heating them up later.. I bought an electric kettle and pre boil water in it, then when my son gets hungry I turn it back on for a couple of seconds until the water warms up just a bit and then make the bottle. That way i don't have to boil the water and then waste 5 minutes heating it as it only takes 2 minutes for me to make it fresh.
    Last edited by shmeelady; Wed, Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:23 PM.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coribolig View Post
    Good to know! Thanks Sweetie deals~ We are heading to Victoria soon and I thought it would be easier to feed out baby the concentrate while on the road rather than dealing with the powder on the road but I think I will put up with the mess than cause any health issues/problems from using the canned concentrate
    Just read this.... I bought this container from Avent that sections off the pre measured formula, has a little nozzle and turns and whatnot. I put pre boiled water into bottles and then when I need to make a bottle i can easily do so.

Found a picture...
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2736618

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I have that exact dispenser and 2 others.
    The 2 others I have are little cups that screw together with the top lid having a hole with a cap, so you can pour it out, then switch out the cups, so you can have 3 servings.
    Very handy in the diaper bag.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

I love it, it's so handy

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I've also used paper cake decorating cones to pre-measure powdered formula for travel. The sectioned holders hold 3 servings, but you can make up a bunch of cones and just tear then ends off to fill the bottles (keep water in the bottles and it will be okay for a day or two until you need to mix the formula.) I think this would be so much easier than using the cans. What do you do without refrigeration if you don't use the whole can, after all?

Thread Information