User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Truth or Hiding the Truth - Better?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    ok, so I have to ask, did you stand up for your boyfriend or did you just agree with your parents?

If you didn't stand up for him, I could understand him being a bit put off if he thinks you agree with them and didn't stick up for him.

I wouldn't let my parents call my SO a wuss in any situation. And if they did think that I would definately tell them to keep their opinions to themselves. I don't think it really has anything to do with telling the truth.
    If your boyfriend asked you if your parents thought he was a wuss and you said yes they do, that's telling the truth. But just telling him that really has nothing to do with being truthful and was bound to do more harm than good.
    Whoops,missed this one,

To tell you the honest truth, I dont agree wholly with it as I respect road safety, but some parts of his personality are much more "timid(?)" and do come across as less masculine to many. So, I disagree and agree,with no problem in saying that.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

In my relationship with DH, our relationship includes him and I. No parents allowed. I wouldn't relay back any bad words or opinions from my family, and he wouldn't relay back any bad words or opinions from his family. If we have an issue with each other, then we deal with it, but we don't bring in other peoples issues or words, and we don't use other people to validate our own opinions. Those are our ground rules. What is a big deal for him is often not a big deal to me, and vise versa, which is just part of navigating a relationship, each person is different and that is not right or wrong, its just different.

As someone who commuted an hour each way for 4 years of university, I often stayed at my parents when I thought the weather might turn ugly, so I guess I really don't understand why that makes him a wuss... he's the one who has to drive, if he's not comfortable that is his choice, just like it was mine. For me, there was nothing worse than the anxiety I had having to try to navigate bad highways in my crappy car knowing I had to write a midterm or a final. Have you talked to him about his timid driving behavior? Is there an underlying cause, like a bad experience that has made him uncomfortable? Mine was hitting black ice and sliding off the road with my little brother in the passenger seat, I think back to that moment every drive I take in the winter.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would've gone with the truth on this, but I'm pretty sure that's the wrong choice

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Relationships are always give and take...but I can tell you no male wants to know that his inlaws think he's a wuss about anything...lol.

I think what i am getting at is that you've probably hurt his feelings a bit. I m not sure how long you have been with him but if it's been awhile I am sure you know his personality and would know that telling him that wouldn't sit well with him. Im not saying you did it on purpose to be mean, but regardless it's hit a cord with him.

There's nothing wrong with cautious, but maybe he just wants to know that YOU don't think he's a wuss....

ps..and even if you do...for gods sake don't tell him that! By his response it seems he really does care what you and your parents think about him.

that 's what I mean by give and take...don't tell your SO something that's irrelevant (cause really, it is not something he needed to know) and might get him upset. Men are odd creatures and their egos are very easily bruised.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information