User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Shrinking Tim Horton's Donuts

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm old enough to remember when a donut was a donut. Over the years they became smaller and smaller with prices that go higher and higher. Tim Horton's donuts are now so small, if I buy any (not often) I ask the counter person "Does head office know you are selling Tim Bits as full sized donuts?" Most don't see my point. Years ago I used to be able to buy huge apple turnovers, big triangular behemoths which were worth the visit. They have long since been discontinued. Maybe they think that smaller portions are more healthy but hey, we are talking donuts here. Oh for the good old days.
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Tim Hortons

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yes, the regular donuts have downsized for price hikes (Boston Cream comes to mind and the filled donuts). I do notice that the seasonal special donuts seem to approximate the size of what regular donuts used to be. Let your sugar levels decide if you eat the supersweet special donuts or go for a baked muffin or danish instead.
    scbpooh likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyboy546 View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when a donut was a donut. Over the years they became smaller and smaller with prices that go higher and higher. Tim Horton's donuts are now so small, if I buy any (not often) I ask the counter person "Does head office know you are selling Tim Bits as full sized donuts?" Most don't see my point. Years ago I used to be able to buy huge apple turnovers, big triangular behemoths which were worth the visit. They have long since been discontinued. Maybe they think that smaller portions are more healthy but hey, we are talking donuts here. Oh for the good old days.
    Nice to see you posting again Buddyboy546.
    I don't think it's your age. A couple of weeks ago, my coworker, probably younger than you, was complaining about the size of the chickens at Swiss Chalet. My coworker said that the chickens sold in the grocery store meat departments were much larger than the Swiss Chalet chickens.

Oh yeah. My favourite at Timmy's was the walnut crunch donut. I don't think that even exists any more.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Feb 16th, 2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Natalka, free*is*best and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

This happened a while back, and came with a price increase, too.
    They still make walnut crunches here, but they are really small - I used to just eat just half! Plus, fewer walnuts. Robin's are now better, but there are fewer locations here.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Yes, the regular donuts have downsized for price hikes (Boston Cream comes to mind and the filled donuts). I do notice that the seasonal special donuts seem to approximate the size of what regular donuts used to be. Let your sugar levels decide if you eat the supersweet special donuts or go for a baked muffin or danish instead.
    Actually the muffins are worse for you than the donuts! I remember comparing the apple fritter to some of the muffins once and it was worse. They have a nutrition calculator on their website. Warning it may make you cry to know what you are eating/drinking.
    Natalka, lecale, Venuila and 1 others like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

This seems to be happening with many products (smaller sizes, increased prices). I find that they do it ever so gradually thinking people wont notice...but we do!!!!!
    scbpooh, Decaf, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    This happened a while back, and came with a price increase, too.
    They still make walnut crunches here, but they are really small - I used to just eat just half! Plus, fewer walnuts. Robin's are now better, but there are fewer locations here.
    I'm coming to visit. For the walnut crunch!
    Natalka likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 10:25 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by d.ot View Post
    This seems to be happening with many products (smaller sizes, increased prices). I find that they do it ever so gradually thinking people wont notice...but we do!!!!!
    Actually for a while I didn't but now I noticed this pattern in everything. I make shrimp toasts and usually use a whole box of shrimp, then last time I wonder why I didn't have enough shrimp and there are left over breads. Turns out the weight has been reduced to 360grams. It was 1 lb before and before that was 500grams, and 650 grams. Last night mom was telling me she has to use 2 bags of flour to make steam buns...and definitely that changed too.

I have not purchase any donuts from TH in years, but next time I am there I'll check it out.
    Venuila and d.ot like this.

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I have gotten in the habit of ordering 2-3 chocolate glazed timbits rather than a whole Walnut Crunch because it's cheaper and I only want 1/2 or 3/4 of a doughnut anyway.

The last time I ordered 2 timbits the counter girl asked me, Are these for your dog?

I don't have a dog, they're for me, never had any idea I was ordering off the dog food menu

Around here if you are giving your dog tim bits they will give them free. I don't have a pet and haven't tried before but it's a rhumor I heard from someone with pets.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    The last time I ordered 2 timbits the counter girl asked me, Are these for your dog?

I don't have a dog, they're for me, never had any idea I was ordering off the dog food menu
    Hey. You just gave Timmy's a new marketing idea. They may steal your idea. Quick. Put a patent on it -- Timmies for Rover. Oh, by the way, I want 10 % of your profits, as co-marketer of your idea. LOL.
    r0c0upons likes this.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by francine1985 View Post

Around here if you are giving your dog tim bits they will give them free. I don't have a pet and haven't tried before but it's a rhumor I heard from someone with pets.

Yes, that's true. We have gone through the drive through before with the dog in the back of the car and they have given us a free timbit for him. (They offered, we didn't ask)
    Not sure if they still do this as we haven't been there with him in a while.
    francine1985 likes this.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

not just donuts, it seems like everything is getting smaller, even portion size at restaurants! price is the same, but the size is smaller

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    not just donuts, it seems like everything is getting smaller, even portion size at restaurants! price is the same, but the size is smaller
    So true.
    And they think you don't notice.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

And could they please bring back the bowtie? For a dollar, it was the most awesome shareable treat ever -and not too sweet, which was awesome! Last time my son and I had one was maybe a dozen years ago...

Midnightly, lecale and r0c0upons like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information