User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Feeling very hurt and disrespected at work

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Something happened today that really shook me to the core and I don't think anyone else would understand but you SCers. I work with people who are very dismissive and condescending towards me because I coupon. People who I used to consider friends and not just coworkers.

So someone jokingly asked if I had any killer deals lately and I said I got an item for free because of SCOP. This was followed by an attack on my character and how what I did was a "dick move" because I stole from the company and got someone in trouble. I said it's not my problem because this store follows the SCOP. Someone chimed in and said "well the paper tag could have been switched and I wouldn't put it past you to do that".

I'm very hurt by that last comment because she basically said I would stoop to committing a crime for a deal (tag switching is a form of shoplifting or fraud). It was very mean spirited and a direct attack on me. I've decided that from now on I will absolutely not be sharing freebies or extras with these @ssholes anymore and any excess I have I'll just donate to charity. I've had enough of being treated like dirt because I like to save. Being frugal has allowed me to splurge on things that I wouldn't buy in the past. It's not my problem if they're in debt and want to be angry and hurtful. I'm done with them.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi superhamster
    It seems to me that jealousy has reared its ugly head.I am proud that I am savvy enough to save $$$$$$$ and you should be too.
    Those so called friends-co-workers would coupon if they knew how.It is a talent that has to be developed and practiced.How you deal with them must
    be done delicately to preserve your dignity.Hold your head up and don,t let them win.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They are just jealous.SCOP isn't stealing it's helping other customers not get overcharged.Who ever said you would switch price tags sure doesn't look at price tags it wouldn't help most price tags have an item description on it.Good for you share with people who will appreciate it.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sounds like it's time to cut ties with those people completely. I don't know what line of work you're in, but if I were you and were treated like that I wouldn't talk to them, I wouldn't look at them, I wouldn't acknowledge their presence. I go to work to make a living not to make chit-chat with people I don't like.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Sounds like it's time to cut ties with those people completely. I don't know what line of work you're in, but if I were you and were treated like that I wouldn't talk to them, I wouldn't look at them, I wouldn't acknowledge their presence. I go to work to make a living not to make chit-chat with people I don't like.
    Well we work in close proximity so I can't exactly ignore them. But I won't be talking about anything other than work with them, and only if absolutely necessary. I used to think of these people as friends. It seems like they started treating me this way after they found out how much stuff I was getting for free or very cheap. They had no problem accepting free baby wipes and diapers from me though.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, agree with the comment so far.

Similar happened to me. Told of some great deals on flights we got booking in February-- for Christmas -- sun destination -- $199 each way. I got called a cheapskate.

Fast forward to the next year - summer. The same big mouth asked if I knew of any deals for Florida. They wanted to go at Christmas. I put on my nice Shwa Girl smile and said, "Why, oh why, would you want travel advice from a cheapkskate." She turned red. She apologized.

Still helped her out. I told her that there would be some some deals just after Labour Day, when the Snow Birds have finished their bookings, and the airlines needed more passengers to fill seats later in the Fall. She got $239 each way. She wanted the same deal as me. I reminded her that I was a "cheapskate" and that I had told her about my deal, but she wasn't interested. She apologized again.

The next year I got her a good deal for Europe.

She has been praising me to other people since then.

The moral of my story, OP.
    Wait. They will come back to you. You are the ultimate deal maker and they know it. They just don't want to admit it. Not just yet.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Feb 22nd, 2014 at 11:15 AM.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    OP, agree with the comment so far.

Similar happened to me. Told of some great deals on flights we got booking in February-- for Christmas -- sun destination -- $1.99 each way. I got called a cheapskate.

Fast forward to the next year - summer. The same big mouth asked if I knew of any deals for Florida. They wanted to go at Christmas. I put on my nice Shwa Girl smile and said, "Why, oh why, would you want travel advice from a cheapkskate." She turned red. She apologized.

Still helped her out. I told her that there would be some some deals just after Labour Day, when the Snow Birds have finished their bookings, and the airlines needed more passengers to fill seats later in the Fall. She got $239 each way. She wanted the same deal as me. I reminded her that I was a "cheapskate" and that I had told her about my deal, but she wasn't interested. She apologized again.

The next year I got her a good deal for Europe.

She has been praising me to other people since then.

The moral of my story, OP.
    Wait. They will come back to you. You are the ultimate deal maker and they know it. They just don't want to admit it. Not just yet.
    Wow. Amazing travel deal you got. Have any hints for someone who's planning on going to Vegas this year?

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

Unfortunately....you will always face a$$holes in your life...too bad it's at work, and yes it does make you feel like a criminal when people say things like this....the only thing you can do is sit back and wait for KARMA...someday you will be driving down the street and the cops will have them pulled over for speeding...and you will be able to pop them the bird and smile....sorry that's my warped sense of thinking but oh well...seems fair to me
    ....just be happy

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
    Ciel, Poirot, GoJays and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by superhamster View Post
    Wow. Amazing travel deal you got. Have any hints for someone who's planning on going to Vegas this year?
    Westjet, Air Canada and Porter have little "air wars" and we take advantage of this. About every 6-8 weeks. Tuesday to Thursday departure dates and return dates gets you the best deals.

We check regularly. We have found better deals on the airline websites directly. Also sign up for their e-mail alerts and promotions - like Westjet dollars.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Feb 22nd, 2014 at 11:19 AM.
    lecale, ticul and sarah_cio like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-wow I hear you -i tried to make a shoebox with coupons we could trade with fellow co-workers well it didn't work out -They were surpised when I stocked up on detergent- one year had 35 at one time -well guess what that took me thru my losing my job and into the next year and a half-some people just don't get it and if he dontwant to save too bad

-save our skills for peoplewho enjoy I -I just gave nice bag of stuff-lotions ,shower gel,puff ,candle etc to a friend who had surgery and h stated"you spoiled me thank you love all the stuff -just as nice as flowers and it cost me all of about 11.00 to 12.00 for 9 items
    free*is*best, Shwa Girl and ticul like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

"I go to work to make a living not to make chit-chat with people I don't like."

Nicely said! Co-workers are not usually friends but please keep sharing your deals with us, op, as we have like minds.
    GoJays, ticul and quicktocoupon like this.
    SMILE - and make the world a better place

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm sorry to hear that. We would love to hear your brags on here.
    ticul, vesper and quicktocoupon like this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

You prob know this already I'm sure, but #1, SCOP does not apply to paper pricetags, which haven't existed for years. SCOP is something that companies offer to show accountability to customers. They offer it, you're not stealing from multimillion dollar companies that offer something, and no one is getting in trouble because a store's head office is offering something to make sure they do a good job.

I'd also be offended by that last comment. Did you say "You are accusing me of committing a crime to save a buck?" I would've called them on that, but it's my personality and I know not everyone would do that. I think you need to stop telling them about any money saving tips, and just keep contact to hellos and that's pretty much it. If they ask you if you've received any good deals lately, just reply "no." If they poke you for more info, say you're too busy or something.

I wouldn't want to deal with people who accuse me of crimes, especially because they are the ill informed ones and have no basis whatsoever. You should just stop any talking with them that isn't work related. No family chat, no "what are you doing this weekend." It sounds like anything you say to these people will be misconstrued, so don't feed the trolls.

Good luck, they sound like awful people
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sat, Feb 22nd, 2014 at 01:10 PM.
    Grey, Ciel, GoJays and 5 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If you feel like you need to say something, you could always comment to that coworker that you do not appreciate being told you're the type of person who'd commit fraud and steal from a company - and that you no longer wish discuss your shopping habits.
    And then, follow it up - every time someone asks you about your shopping/deals, just tell them it's not something you're interested in talking about and you have work to do.

But shame on them - it doesn't matter if you're getting stuff for free, or if you're only saving $0.50 - NO ONE has the right to make comments on another person's character like that.
    Ciel, lecale, ticul and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information