User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blueeyetea
  • 1 Post By PurpleBunny89

Thread: Suggestions for tracking manufacturer quarterly and seasonal sales

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I hope I'm posting in correct place. I've heard mention in media and noticed myself that manufacturers put sales on their items quarterly or at specific times during the year. I'm hoping to find some resources to put together a spread sheet for product sale times and to estimate how long I should stock up for. For me, it's more economical to pay cash for a shorter period than to stock up for a year and put the purchases on credit.

i.e. basics like meat - beef, pork, chicken, turkey and bacon (I've noticed that some go on sale after holidays)
    Also paper products (for me, I like buying Cashmere, I've noticed that it seems to go on sale every month or 2 for low prices)
    Also coffee, juice, cereal, dairy etc.

Any suggestions or resources would be greatly appreciated.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The best way I know is to start and maintain a pricebook. Start documenting the prices via your receipt and flyers, and eventually you can figure out how often the sales come around and stock up just enough to last you until the next sale. For example, at my grocery store, the packs of 16 yogurts come up for sale every 4 weeks.

And like you said, somethings are related to a specific season, for example, whole turkeys are available in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Ham is popular at Christmas and Easter.

Something like toilet paper is used as a loss leader - sold cheap to lure people into the store where they are likely to buy other stuff.
    crafter likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    The best way I know is to start and maintain a pricebook. Start documenting the prices via your receipt and flyers, and eventually you can figure out how often the sales come around and stock up just enough to last you until the next sale. For example, at my grocery store, the packs of 16 yogurts come up for sale every 4 weeks.

And like you said, somethings are related to a specific season, for example, whole turkeys are available in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Ham is popular at Christmas and Easter.

Something like toilet paper is used as a loss leader - sold cheap to lure people into the store where they are likely to buy other stuff.
    Thanks for the link to the price book. That's exactly what I've been looking for! I think I'll try an excel version of this. Great find on your yogurt as normally good for a month.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post

This is what I used to do. I made a spreadsheet type thingie and tracked the prices, where on sale, the size of the product and then the next time it went on sale I added to the dates section.

Now I've been doing it for so long I rarely ever use it anymore because I remember how often stuff goes on for.
    crafter likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Thread Information