• 1 Post By leonidas
  • 1 Post By kriskret
  • 1 Post By kriskret
  • 1 Post By kriskret

Thread: MagicJack and porting Canadian Numbers

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a 2nd MagicJack as the one we use for our home number is amazing! I bought it because they advertise that you can port over your telephone number. My husband's business has been with Comwave (Canada) and we wanted to port it to MagicJack in order to save money on that line. What they don't tell you (and I just found out) is that when going through the registration process when you get to the part that allows you to port over the number, YOU CANNOT PORT OVER A CANADIAN NUMBER AS OF YET!! Argh!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    leonidas likes this.
    PEACE. LOVE. HARMONY...AND COUPONS!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know the feeling.

We switched from Bell to Teksavvy digital home phone and were told we couldn't port our number (even though it said online we could). Had to change the same number we'd had for 26 years to a number that was completely different (even the area code and first 3 digits). But for us it was worth it, as we've now got all the features we didn't have before (caller ID, voicemail, etc.) for about $50 less per month.

Of course it would be much different for you as it's a business, and you definitely don't want to be missing any calls.
    ROMEO and Steffigirl like this.

mothu's trading list
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

You pay $ 10 per year extra to get Toronto #.for magic jack.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My Mom got a Magic Jack but nobody called her on it since the phone number was a long distance one, even though we live in the same town. I also found there was an echo and a delay when she used it to call us.
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    I know the feeling.

We switched from Bell to Teksavvy digital home phone and were told we couldn't port our number (even though it said online we could). Had to change the same number we'd had for 26 years to a number that was completely different (even the area code and first 3 digits). But for us it was worth it, as we've now got all the features we didn't have before (caller ID, voicemail, etc.) for about $50 less per month.

Of course it would be much different for you as it's a business, and you definitely don't want to be missing any calls.
    I think first you should just transfer to a regular Teksavvy phone ( landline ) from Bell..you can keep the same number.

Than maybe convert your regular dial up Teksavvy line to Teksavvy Digital ( VOIP ) line
    ROMEO and luckbealady like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I think first you should just transfer to a regular Teksavvy phone ( landline ) from Bell..you can keep the same number.

Than maybe convert your regular dial up Teksavvy line to Teksavvy Digital ( VOIP ) line
    Maybe. We switched right away because it was ridiculous how much cheaper it was. We're finally adjusting, although my parents can't remember what the number is (it's rather entertaining listening to them try and give the number to someone - they always stop after the area code and just look around).
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If it helps anyone there are many providers, better than MJ here:http://www.gonevoip.ca/residential-voip/ - though to be fair sometimes certain numbers can't be ported out due to the fact these are still housed in an old system (happens more often with Bell numbers) so in case you do have Bell and are looking to port suggest is to ask Bell if your number is portable. As per the CRTC any number shall be portable, from landline to wireless to voip and vice-versa but believe or not as a result of innovation short-cuts taken some numbers are yet not portable.. You can complain to the CCTS, then again that may not resolve the issue. With VoIP being so inexpensive alternatively you can consider in getting a new number and keep the service of your non-portable number for a couple of months so you transition all your services and contacts to the new number.
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very recently MagicJack introduced new feature -SMS option for the same price as main service (as the second line). My question is : - what is the reason to buy this option from MagicJack, while there is a lot softwares on Google Play Store offering the same service for free or for 2.- dollars per year ?! - Heywire , TextMe , Textra SMS, text+, Now SMS, and many, many more. Some of these programs have ability to make a calls.- You'll get regular phone number for free. MagicJack - get reel !!!
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very recently MagicJack introduced new feature -SMS option for the same price as main service (as the second line). My question is : - what is the reason to buy this option from MagicJack, while there is a lot softwares on Google Play Store offering the same service for free or for 2.- dollars per year ?! - Heywire , TextMe , Textra SMS, text+, Now SMS, and many, many more. Some of these programs have ability to make a calls.- You'll get regular phone number for free. MagicJack - get reel !!!
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very recently MagicJack introduced new feature -SMS option for the same price as main service (as the second line). My question is : - what is the reason to buy this option from MagicJack, while there is a lot softwares on Google Play Store offering the same service for free or for 2.- dollars per year ?! - Heywire , TextMe , Textra SMS, text+, Now SMS, and many, many more. Some of these programs have ability to make a calls.- You'll get regular phone number for free. ..................... MagicJack - get reel !!!
    ROMEO likes this.

Thread Information