Like Tree410Likes

Thread: What To Do About Trains

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    ok so i just came from the p.o.

apparently the single stamps are marked $1
    the p stamps are only worth 85c
    this might be tough when setting BP's as a p stamp will only cover up to 30g

2x will only equal 1.70 you wll still need to add 10c

so a 3 stamp cap on the bp would be fair imo

but may also still be too costly for me

as for traditionals I just mailed one and it was $1.80
    Yes, that's the problem.

If you were able to stock up on P stamps before the price increase then it's really not much of an increase (It used to cost me 2 x P stamp and 1 x $0.08 stamp to mail a train - now it'll be 2 x P stamp and 1 x $0.10 stamp). The problem is if you weren't able to stock up or if your stash runs out $1.80 to mail a train is really high!

I like the idea of keeping trains under 50g but not sure if it's very feasible. Doesn't take much to throw it over, most VWTs I've sent home have averaged around 60-75g, traditional trains have been around 80-90g. Not sure what to do about that... Although the idea of transparency from tbites is a great one (given of course that riders obey the rules), posting what's "hot" in the train and having riders take turns picking items.

Not a whole lot of debate going on here... Wonder where everyone is?
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Tue, Apr 1st, 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I personally miss the days when lots of us RAOKed coupons to each other and it worked out as fair in the end because we all did it and trad trains ran smoothly, even the round robin / endless ones
    But there are a lot of good traders who no longer want to ride/run trains (like Lola says above) so people not sticking to current rules is definitely an issue.
    Me too...Me too....
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Just had a thought about trad. train BPs.... what if.... along with having wishlist coupons as an option for BP... the stamp BP might be based on your out ? Logically I tend to think that if a rider only gets 4-5$ out of train and then has to pay 1.80$ to mail it.... then 1P stamp would be a better cap because otherwise they're barely getting 3$ worth of savings from the train.

But... if a rider is able to get 10$ or more from a train then they're benefiting more from it so 2P stamps doesn't seem as steep.

I realize both riders contribute as much to the train as they take out, so I'm not sure if this is a feasible idea or just another one of my duds

Thoughts ?
    Angela273 and suncrest like this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    Just had a thought about trad. train BPs.... what if.... along with having wishlist coupons as an option for BP... the stamp BP might be based on your out ? Logically I tend to think that if a rider only gets 4-5$ out of train and then has to pay 1.80$ to mail it.... then 1P stamp would be a better cap because otherwise they're barely getting 3$ worth of savings from the train.

But... if a rider is able to get 10$ or more from a train then they're benefiting more from it so 2P stamps doesn't seem as steep.

I realize both riders contribute as much to the train as they take out, so I'm not sure if this is a feasible idea or just another one of my duds

Thoughts ?
    Got me thinking I would probably just take less to save the stamp
    In an ideal world everyone would add wishlist coupons for the next rider and every envelope would have really great coupons

Often i see people say they want to ride to build their stash as oppose to wanting to share some great new coupons they have

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    341 (100%)

^^ I would probably do the same, take less to save a stamp. And it would be easy for some to say they only took x amount out but really take more for the lower BP. I think for traditional trains it should be wish list coupons or capped at 1 stamp in case some don't have a coupon from the conductor wish list.

VWT's should have a limit to BP's too. For regular 10 rider trains 2 P and a 10¢ and 1-2 extra wish list coupons. If it's a bigger train or the conductor is giving out prizes, maybe ask for a safety stamp just Incase its needed and if it's not it can be returned.
    Last edited by Melissa13; Wed, Apr 2nd, 2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

Join Swagbucks!! Get FREE Amazon codes and much more! Just click here http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Habs13

Trading Score
    493 (100%)

I would be fine with a 2-3 stamp BP or even just 1 - the conductor can throw in the 10c to mail it back. Or what about SASE?

I ended up getting myself a postage meter - I can write it off for my Epicure Business, I use it with the non profits I do stuff for and they reimburse me for the postage AND that gets me the reduced rates by being a 'business user'. I got it through Pitney Bowes and it came with $200 in free postage. So even at $15/mo I am ahead - I know I go through a lot more that $15 month in postage!

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa13 View Post
    ^^ I would probably do the same, take less to save a stamp. And it would be easy for some to say they only took x amount out but really take more for the lower BP.
    This is why I think transparency should be a 2 way street on trad. trains. The conductor can provide a list of what's in the train and the riders can fill in the DETAILS of ins/outs on a sign in sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa13;
    I think for trade it should be wish list coupons or capped at 1 stamp Incase some don't have a coupon from the conductor wish list.

I think I'm slow today....Can you explain what you mean in the red bolded phrase ? I was asking about trains not trades If riders prefer to offer wishlilst coupons as a BP in order not to spend P stamps , I would hope they'd make sure they have said wishlist coupon before boarding.
    FallenPixels and Anna Michele like this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

I really dont know what to say about the whole train thing. I actually had this conversation with hubby the other night!

On average a train cost 3-4 stamps to mail out plus usual 2 stamp BP. So that would make the average train roughly (based on 85c stamps) $4.45-$5.10 for something that I may or may not get something out of!!!! I also find the further you are on the seating list chances are the less your going to find anything good even left in the train! At roughly $5 a train, I can no longer afford to be riding even regular trains! Just getting WAY to costly! I would rather use .85c to do a one on one trade and get what I want/what im looking for!

I understand the whole "typing out whats on the train a head of time" but in all honesty thats alot of work also to sit here and type out the details of all the coupons in the train. (Just my opinion though)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I haven't ridden nor conducted a train in years. When I was new and didn't have a small stockpile or much of a personal stockpile, then I found it useful. I also encountered trains where I didn't get my money's worth. I had two of my own trains go missing. I had one return after months of no communication, it had baby formula cheques, but nothing else. I trade and figure out how to get my own coupons without participating in trains. I have generally quit bidding on auctions because I spend so much time getting my bid together and then still end up losing. Coupons are only worth so much at the end of the day.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa13 View Post
    ^^ I would probably do the same, take less to save a stamp. And it would be easy for some to say they only took x amount out but really take more for the lower BP. I think for trade it should be wish list coupons or capped at 1 stamp Incase some don't have a coupon from the conductor wish list.

That's what happened to me. I got accused of taking out more than I wrote and put back in. Because the next rider said the train was small. The train was small when it got to me. I was really hurt and offended to be accused of something like that. Really soured me on doing trains. I can totally see more of that happening if the BP was based on your out.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    341 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    I think I'm slow today....Can you explain what you mean in the red bolded phrase ? I was asking about trains not trades If riders prefer to offer wishlilst coupons as a BP in order not to spend P stamps , I would hope they'd make sure they have said wishlist coupon before boarding.
    That was my auto correctors fault, it was supposed to say traditional trains.

Join Swagbucks!! Get FREE Amazon codes and much more! Just click here http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Habs13

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have two questions, sorry if these have been addressed before but something I was wondering about when it comes to trains.

How long should a conductor wait before deeming a train derailed?

Secondly I understand the issues with trains going missing but if the person replaces the train do they still get a neutral because the train went missing going or coming to them because one train did go missing?

I agree with what most people are saying, I find traditional trains to be very iffy only because I have received trains with early expires or with multiple duplicate coupons so by the time the train comes to me it seems to be costing me to ride by the time I replace the early expires and put stamps back on the train. I understand that there is always a risk with traditional trains which I have no issue with but too many times lately I feel like I am out more than just stamps once I replace early expires or even already expired coupons.

VWT trains I just find I cannot fulfill the wishes, which I do not know if anything can be done on this as others have mentioned some people want tears pads others are looking for call-in not sure there can ever really be a middle ground on this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I have two questions, sorry if these have been addressed before but something I was wondering about when it comes to trains.

How long should a conductor wait before deeming a train derailed?
    This is a hard one. I'd say I'd wait for a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Secondly I understand the issues with trains going missing but if the person replaces the train do they still get a neutral because the train went missing going or coming to them because one train did go missing?
    If a rider creates a new train to replace the one that went MIA then I don't think it's fair they receive a neutral. They did all they could do.

A lot of things could have happened that caused the train to disappear:

-Rider A could have kept it
    -Rider A could have mailed it to rider B but CP lost it
    -Rider B could have kept it
    -Rider B could have mailed it to rider C but CP lost it

If rider B has good communication and creates/mails a new train and rider C receives it, then I'd give a positive. They acted in good faith, and did all they could do. JMHO.
    Angela273, Insane, musique and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    539 (100%)

Yes - postage did increase. We all know it. And it sucks for all of us. BUT:

Anything less than 3 Stamps (or $1.80) isn't worth it for the conductor. I can understand putting a cap on it - makes sense to do it - but it shouldn't cost the conductor MORE - many conductors are already putting different boarding pass options on their trains. I personally like the extra stamp (or a coupon I am RRRRLF) as a conductor. I don't have kids so stickers and those types of things are useless(to me).

I know some might feel that the stamp conductors ask for is "greedy" - but the VWT's are work (not stressful brain surgery - but still work).

I guess what I am trying to say is I would support a 3 stamp BP Cap.

I have no opinion (or thoughts) about traditional trains 'cause I don't ride them.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I certainly agree that the conductor should not have to add postage (although the conductor on a VWT is getting something as they are not paying postage to send it to themselves)

As far as lost trains, I don't consider anything lost until a month has passed. If the rider makes up the envie then a neutral is not left. It is more for cases of he said she said when the sender says well I sent it and the next claims they did not receive and no responsibility is taken.
    Angela273 and SassyAshley like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information