User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lecale
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy

Thread: Suggestion needed about upgrading a desktop.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Expired on: Sat, Apr 12th, 2014
    Hi fellows I have an old HP desktop with XP, it's hard drive doesn't has much capacity (GB) and almost full although working fine only is slow, Now I want to get one with window 7, now I have few questions:
    This week SDM has 1TB hard drive (I think brand is Toshiba), so is it worth if I buy that can I use with my existing desktop. And can I upgrade that existing desktop to window 7, and also will it have any positive effect on its speed?
    I have optimum points so I can use those to buy that hard drive.
    I know here we have many technical minds so really hopeful to get some nice suggestions and thanks in advance to everyone.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Last edited by uanoor; Thu, Apr 10th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:48 AM.
    uanoor likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

uanoor... your post mentions a few things (Desktop, a laptop, and a hardrive)... let's tackle each one individually:

The XP DESKTOP:
    to know if it's feasible to put Windows 7 on your current desktop, it's key to know a few things.

I would suggest that you not install Windows 7 unless your computer has a dual-core cpu (Intel's Core 2 Duo CPU, most likely in an HP) and 2gb of memory (RAM). -- you can check the specs of your computer in XP by right-clicking the My Computer icon and selecting properties. Your CPU will be identified in the middle section and your ram below that. (it WILL run on less than these, but I wouldn't suggest it)

Also, given the amount of space Windows 7 will occupy, I would also suggest your harddrive be absolutely no less than 80gb (windows will occupy about half of that). But the larger than that the better. - You can check the capacity by double clicking MY COMPUTER and identify the harddrive (probably identified as C), and right-clicking the icon, and selecting Properties. The graph that appears will give a fair idea of the capacity. (this might not be the full size of the drive, but it will be close.)

So, Dual Core CPU... 2gb ram... 80gb harddrive.

NOTE: this would have to be your INTERNAL harddrive... not an external drive as will be addressed later in this post...

---
    LAPTOP (?)

You mention an 'existing laptop' -- but I'm not sure how old it is, what operating system is on it, etc. A bit more info would be helpful... however, assuming it's one bought within the last 4 or 5 years, it should have no problem handling that (or any other) external harddrive you see advertised at SDM.

---
    HARDDRIVE

The harddrive you pointed out in the upcoming SDM flyer is 1TB (terabyte) drive for $69. This is a pretty average price, so I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the SDM unit unless (as you suggest) you plan to use points or some such in accordance with the purchase.

However, it will do nothing to enhance the performance of any computer (neither your desktop, nor the laptop). All it does is add additional EXTERNAL storage. It will not in any way shape or form increase the performance or speed of your computers. The benefit to YOU might be if you off-load a lot of that personal data from your XP Desktop to this drive, you could potentially free up the desktop's harddrive for that Windows 7 installation. -- you CANNOT use this drive to install Windows onto. Windows must be installed on an internal harddrive.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Apr 10th, 2014 at 05:59 PM.
    uanoor likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I think the HDD in the SDM flyer is a Toshiba Canvio Connect, it's USB 3.0 and may not work with an older computer with USB 2.0. Is your USB port blue? Then it is 3.0
    USB 3.0 harddives will work on USB 2.0 interfaces. They just wont have the high-speed transfer rate that 3.0 provides.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Thanks, actually that was a mistake. I was talking about only desktop.
    And thanks everyone for your technical support, thats why I like this site. Now based on all those suggestions, I think its time to replace that old comp.

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    uanoor... your post mentions a few things (Desktop, a laptop, and a hardrive)... let's tackle each one individually:

The XP DESKTOP:
    to know if it's feasible to put Windows 7 on your current desktop, it's key to know a few things.

I would suggest that you not install Windows 7 unless your computer has a dual-core cpu (Intel's Core 2 Duo CPU, most likely in an HP) and 2gb of memory (RAM). -- you can check the specs of your computer in XP by right-clicking the My Computer icon and selecting properties. Your CPU will be identified in the middle section and your ram below that. (it WILL run on less than these, but I wouldn't suggest it)

Also, given the amount of space Windows 7 will occupy, I would also suggest your harddrive be absolutely no less than 80gb (windows will occupy about half of that). But the larger than that the better. - You can check the capacity by double clicking MY COMPUTER and identify the harddrive (probably identified as C), and right-clicking the icon, and selecting Properties. The graph that appears will give a fair idea of the capacity. (this might not be the full size of the drive, but it will be close.)

So, Dual Core CPU... 2gb ram... 80gb harddrive.

NOTE: this would have to be your INTERNAL harddrive... not an external drive as will be addressed later in this post...

---
    LAPTOP (?)

You mention an 'existing laptop' -- but I'm not sure how old it is, what operating system is on it, etc. A bit more info would be helpful... however, assuming it's one bought within the last 4 or 5 years, it should have no problem handling that (or any other) external harddrive you see advertised at SDM.

---
    HARDDRIVE

The harddrive you pointed out in the upcoming SDM flyer is 1TB (terabyte) drive for $69. This is a pretty average price, so I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the SDM unit unless (as you suggest) you plan to use points or some such in accordance with the purchase.

However, it will do nothing to enhance the performance of any computer (neither your desktop, nor the laptop). All it does is add additional EXTERNAL storage. It will not in any way shape or form increase the performance or speed of your computers. The benefit to YOU might be if you off-load a lot of that personal data from your XP Desktop to this drive, you could potentially free up the desktop's harddrive for that Windows 7 installation. -- you CANNOT use this drive to install Windows onto. Windows must be installed on an internal harddrive.

Hope this helps.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Thread Information