• 1 Post By sun_shine
  • 1 Post By CrazyQT
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto

Thread: Please Remove

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Remove
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by idonovan; Thu, Jul 17th, 2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Ciel and sun_shine like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know how you feel OP.

I fully avoid anything that says "staffing agency" - I just don't trust where the money is coming from.
    Also avoid anything where you can work from home, but you have to become your own business - I don't remember the name, but I'm so glad I looked up reviews before I did it.
    I also understand working in a call centre - when I started at a call centre I was told that I would be offering promotions to current card holders (never mind that I actually applied for inbound and not outbound) - what they didn't tell me is that it was a limited time promotion, and after that they switched me to cold calling selling credit cards. I only lasted a month there, which was longer than about 2/3 of the people I started with. I didn't mind the calls or the rude people (I deserved it, I was calling and bugging them) - but I don't believe people should apply for cc over the phone, and it made me uncomfortable to try and push them into it.

I'm currently working with Goodwill Career Centres to try and find work (I certification and a diploma for IT technician, but little experience - and admittedly not a lot of confidence, even though I graduated with honours and a 91% average). If they are available in your area, I would highly suggest them. They are interested in getting you a career, not just work.
    Ciel and idonovan like this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I agree with avoiding staffing agencies...I signed up with one here because they had a listing for a bank position that I really wanted and that was an entry level new grad opportunity. I did the hours upon hours of computer screening tests to just get an interview with the agency. Got the agency interview where they said they could find me work (and where I told them I was only interested in the bank position or any other similar positions that might become available). Apparently I scored highly in the computer skills/typing speed/accuracy section so they would only be offering me data entry type positions and that was all they said I was qualified to work at! I politely refused as I wanted to work in a bank or something that actually uses my business degree skills and allows me to communicate with people face to face. They offered me temporary data entry jobs at min wage for nearly a year and they would get angry when I turned them all down!! I'm sorry but I'm not quitting a job that I currently have part time that pays above min wage to take a crappy temp job doing something I know I would absolutely hate for less money and then be completely jobless after a few weeks/months.
    Ciel, idonovan and i_forget like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

That sounds so awful, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Temp agencies are blood sucking parasites imo.
    idonovan likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I had an interview with a temp agency once, then never heard from them again! Also had co-workers work hard to get me 'fired' from the job (we were contracted yearly, so I technically was never fired as they kept me until the end of my contract then didn't offer me another contract). I ended up going back to school and through my placements I have just landed a job that I will start next week. It is tough going through school and acquiring SO much student debt, only to not end up with a job in your field I have been there, done that.

Keep your head up and keep trying; unfortunately that is sometimes the best we can do.
    Shwa Girl and idonovan like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Sorry you went through this, but I'm glad at least you got paid.

Good luck finding something else!
    idonovan and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, first job was a 6 month contract. Thought it was going to be renewed. At month 5, did not look good. So spent lunch time delivering resumes, making connections, building up networks.

Ended up with another contract and a part time job.

You will make it OP. You are determined and a fighter.
    (((hugs and luck!)))
    emg and idonovan like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This made me smile - hopefully it can put a smile on your face too
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    idonovan and sun_shine like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    This made me smile - hopefully it can put a smile on your face too
    Love that movie
    idonovan likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I used a temp agency for my very first job that ended up in full time employment after 2 months of "contract" with the temp agency. After my boss ditched the temp agency and started paying me directly he saved money and I made considerably more than the agency was paying me. I stayed at that job for 12 years and then resigned to relocate with hubby.

OP I am glad you got your money finally. Good luck finding your ideal job.
    idonovan likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Temping agencies and Staffing agencies often have one of the rudest and unprofessional employees you will ever find.

They will take a cut from your salary and give you some low level job and act as if they are doing you a big favour.

Generally they just have labour, data entry , retail or call centre jobs
    idonovan likes this.

Thread Information