User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Cheap walmart steaks $2.50 per steak and delish!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

There's a contest here, plus you can sign up to get $1 coupon

https://www.facebook.com/blackriverangus

Trading Score
    53 (100%)

I think they taste like venison, which in my books is a gross tasting meat. I do admit they are tender but do not win my heart because of their taste.

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Black River Angus Steaks are cross rib steak, which is part of the chuck, i.e., the part of the cow that is usually considered stewing beef.

HOWEVER the meat is tenderized with papain, so basically they have taken THE toughest part of the cow and chemically tenderized it, then brined it with salt, sugar and spices, then packaged it with a bottle of more salt, sugar and spices.

Another name for cross rib steak is "boneless shoulder simmering steak", and another is "cowboy steak" (when seasoned).

On deep discount at $18/box you are paying $6/lb for the 3 lb box. Regular price ($25) would be $8.33/lb.

Cross rib steak, fresh and without the chemicals and marinade runs about $4/lb or less on sale. The steaks are 5 oz size so fresh, non chemically treated, unsalted steaks that size are worth about $1.25.

The sandwich steaks are made from eye of round which regularly goes on sale for $2/lb fresh, and at $25 for 1.58 kg box of 14 steaks is $7.14/lb.

Cattle herds used to be a Heinz 57 of varieties until the need for 'identity preservation' hit starting about 20 years ago. Major manufacturers demanded that farmers be able to trace cows from birth to table for food safety reasons, and raise breeds that met manufacturing needs. Manufacturers like the Black Angus because you can harvest it waaay earlier than other breeds (quick to reach adult size), and the cow is fattier than other breeds (thus giving higher grades, because the grade of the meat depends on the fat marbling). Black Angus tends to be more expensive than other beef because there is a lower yield of meat per cow (i.e., other breeds of the same age and fed the same will produce more meat). So, manufacturers have demanded of farmers that they submit to IP programs and raise fast maturing beef, a marketing and IP association emerged, and the result is all the overpriced Black Angus beef on the market...because the meat primarily meets MANUFACTURING needs, not consumer needs. Black Angus is the dominant breed in the US, so beef is actually more likely to be Black Angus than not.

Anyway, this is definitely "processed food" so no doubt it is tasty.

The brand is manufactured by Concord Premium Meats, which also manufactures MarcAngelo.

I checked it out, thank you.

Attachment 236188

Brilliant post Lecale!!! I must thank you for that one as I agree with you 100% on all counts. Most stuff boxed and frozen is processed ... which I refuse to buy.

I buy all of my meat at Costco fresh from the butchers. I especially like the huge shanks of filet mignon which I cut into my own portions as desired. Costs me as a single person 50-70.00 a shank but it last me an entire summer to BBQ. Other cuts are much cheaper however system can't digest them so I have to stick to the expensive stuff.
    anisa, newb, seylz_gurl and 4 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Black River Angus Steaks are cross rib steak, which is part of the chuck, i.e., the part of the cow that is usually considered stewing beef.

HOWEVER the meat is tenderized with papain, so basically they have taken THE toughest part of the cow and chemically tenderized it, then brined it with salt, sugar and spices, then packaged it with a bottle of more salt, sugar and spices.

Another name for cross rib steak is "boneless shoulder simmering steak", and another is "cowboy steak" (when seasoned).

On deep discount at $18/box you are paying $6/lb for the 3 lb box. Regular price ($25) would be $8.33/lb.

Cross rib steak, fresh and without the chemicals and marinade runs about $4/lb or less on sale. The steaks are 5 oz size so fresh, non chemically treated, unsalted steaks that size are worth about $1.25.

The sandwich steaks are made from eye of round which regularly goes on sale for $2/lb fresh, and at $25 for 1.58 kg box of 14 steaks is $7.14/lb.

Cattle herds used to be a Heinz 57 of varieties until the need for 'identity preservation' hit starting about 20 years ago. Major manufacturers demanded that farmers be able to trace cows from birth to table for food safety reasons, and raise breeds that met manufacturing needs. Manufacturers like the Black Angus because you can harvest it waaay earlier than other breeds (quick to reach adult size), and the cow is fattier than other breeds (thus giving higher grades, because the grade of the meat depends on the fat marbling). Black Angus tends to be more expensive than other beef because there is a lower yield of meat per cow (i.e., other breeds of the same age and fed the same will produce more meat). So, manufacturers have demanded of farmers that they submit to IP programs and raise fast maturing beef, a marketing and IP association emerged, and the result is all the overpriced Black Angus beef on the market...because the meat primarily meets MANUFACTURING needs, not consumer needs. Black Angus is the dominant breed in the US, so beef is actually more likely to be Black Angus than not.

The brand is manufactured by Concord Premium Meats, which also manufactures MarcAngelo.

Attachment 236188
    Whew! Thanks for posting lecale. These are not for us sadly no matter how cheap they go down to. Buying processed foods is something we have really tried to avoid.
    anisa and Snow In Summer like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Trying to stay away from processed food too! Thanks!
    anisa and walkonby like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Yes I love those steaks .... Ate quite a few of them.. yummy... beats a T bone that cost $12 or more and not fit to eat half the time... lol.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks for the info lecale. Makes me look at department store meat with even greater scrutiny now.
    I don't feel as bad about paying more for locally raised meat at my butcher now.
    walkonby, emg and Snow In Summer like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

we buy them frequently too and they are delicious.. but no doubt treated with some artificial tenderizer because these babies are melt in your mouth good. Sadly all garbage tastes good lol. Thanks for the lesson ^ Lecale! I am thinking twice now.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    208 (100%)

thanks for the great info on both sides of this issue

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

http://youtu.be/twOj0XNCyaY

The true facts about pink slime. No thanks!
    Last edited by Snow In Summer; Wed, Apr 30th, 2014 at 01:52 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The fact that they also make the Marc Algelo brand explains a lot...! I'll stick with Costco, FCSS or Metro's fresh steaks or our local butcher's meats.
    anisa and Snow In Summer like this.

addismom
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Attachment 236188
    Thanks for explaining about these steaks.. I am on a low sodium diet for life, for my heart. I would of been so sick if I ate them, again thanks for all the details and info about different cuts.. When I was reading it I was thinking these wold be ok to cook for my dogs with their kibble, with the price of roasts, lean ground beef being so high. I wont feed them these, lots of additives. Now if meat prices could be better I can start cooking my dogs their roasts of beef again! Need to find a good sale of roasts and stocl up again!! lol For those that can eat them, thats great you can and enjoy one for me!! lol
    thanks
    thanks again..
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow In Summer View Post
    http://youtu.be/twOj0XNCyaY

The true facts about pink slime. No thanks!
    It's a very good thing this is not used in Canada! Nor can it be in products which are imported.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

On sale this week at Walmart for $23

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This week both Superstore and Safeway have steak on sale, and T-bone steak is less than $7/lb. Superstore also offers 5000 pts for $20 certain beef purchase. I got a pack of 2 T-bone steak from Superstore, great taste with salt and pepper, and only finished 1 steak last dinner by family of 4. The only regret is the pack was $17, and did not get any bonus PC points.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information