User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Why is studying SO HARD!

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am trying to get my Mutual Funds license, but it is a perfect reminder why I haven't gotten a degree this far in my life. Why do I find studying so hard? I've made it through chapter 2...almost...and haven't looked at my books for weeks! I am so disappointed in myself yet not enough to actually study. I've always been a procrastinator but this is just horrible!
    How do people study? I can't figure it out!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    anisa, Natalka, niro_anan and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

there are people who just aren't made to be bookworms. you sounds just like me....i m a hands on person, learns much better and quicker by actually "doing" it. I went to college and finished the two year program in 1.5 years, after attempted to get a degree at U, and quit after the first semester. I hate the lectures, I sleeps thou it everytime, lol.....College is best fit for me as it is more particle. I won't be able to do anything with business because its mostly lectures and whole bunch of readings, but I can have fun studying to be a chef, a ECE, a hairstylist, a car mechanics....you just need to find out what you enjoy doing and make it your career.
    Last edited by cinpow; Tue, Apr 29th, 2014 at 09:48 PM.
    anisa, ticul, i_forget and 4 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke_ View Post
    I am trying to get my Mutual Funds license, but it is a perfect reminder why I haven't gotten a degree this far in my life. Why do I find studying so hard? I've made it through chapter 2...almost...and haven't looked at my books for weeks! I am so disappointed in myself yet not enough to actually study. I've always been a procrastinator but this is just horrible!
    My DS was 18 years old, fresh out of High School when he started College. He is taking Business Admin
    which takes a lots of studying. He heard some of the older students in their thirties and forties talking one day.
    They were saying how much easier it is for the kids who just come out of high school
    than it is for them.
    In a way they are right. I personally would have a real difficult time trying to do what my son is
    learning- especially Accounting!

My DS really has a good grasp on what he is taking and really loves it. I think that makes all
    the difference in the world.
    Last edited by maggiespice; Tue, Apr 29th, 2014 at 10:28 PM.
    Natalka, niro_anan, ticul and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I too find studying a struggle for me. Firstly, English is my 3rd language so that means when I study a dictionary is always present. I have to pause and look up words many times so that means reading a chapter takes much longer. On top of that my mind wander no matter how hard I try to focus (maybe I have ADD?). Also I am a big procrastinator.

I also think that text books are written in more lengthy and complex sentences than necessary. They rarely use simple straight to the point language.

Try using positive or negative motivation. "If I don't get this done I won't get my license" Or "I'll have a comfortable good paying job when I get my license"
    Natalka, ticul, Brooke_ and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It isn't the work that I find hard, I'm good at math, and actually want to be an accountant. It is the act of sitting and focusing on something for long enough to make a dent in it. I need hands on, like CINPOW said! Even sitting in on meetings dealing with Mutual Funds would be more effective than me sitting down with a textbook. My next plan of attack is taking this textbook to Starbucks along with some headphones. Maybe if I go there an hour before work every morning I will make some headway!
    Ciel and ticul like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

It sounds like you are doing the self-study course. Many people find that instead of doing self-study for the Mutual funds licence, signing up for a class works better. It means you have weekly classes and assignments to motivate you. It's very easy to procrastinate if you don't have hard deadlines for each chapter, each assignment.
    abbasgirl, Natalka, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think you're on the right track with making it a part of your regular routine. You might also need to reward yourself regularly for sticking with it. Starbucks may actually be rewarding in itself, as long as the environment doesn't distract you. But it might work best if you divide the book into sections and reward yourself each time you complete a section.
    Natalka, Ciel, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Brooke, you might want to see who is giving free mutual funds talks in your area (at the library, or a firm sponsoring a discussion, or at a college/university) because hearing people talk about mutual funds in general or specific situations could help you want to head back to the book to see what it says on the topic(s) discussed.
    Great that you are realizing you have to figure out time/how to motivate self to read. Keep trying for daily reading--you will find it may take 10-15min to settle into it and then you are in the flow!
    abbasgirl, Natalka, ticul and 3 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I agree with abbasgirl - split things into manageable sections. If the idea of reading a chapter is making you snooze before you even open the book, divvy it up into sections. I would also suggest looking up podcasts or similar content on youtube. It's more interactive and can actually help you get through the material quicker. Reading a big old honky book is not very motivating to begin with! And DO reward yourself. It will help keep you motivated and on track. Every accomplishment, no matter how little will lead you one step closer to your end goal.
    Natalka and ticul like this.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

im a uni student and have two kids, one nine and one four, it makes studying so hard. I will put books away too (for a week at a time) when i am feeling too overwhelmed. i use any quiet time i get at night to study. i wish i had advice for you but i dont lol i find it helps me when the pressure is on to complete something. perhaps set goals to have this amount of chapters done or whatever by a certain date? i sort of do that with assignments and ones i crunch on in a short time period come out better than ones i drag out. its easier for me to have cohesive thoughts when its all in one go.
    anisa, Natalka, ticul and 2 others like this.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Its not just you..thesedays there are too many distractions which keep you away from books..primarily the internet..Facebook , Forums, Twitter etc..and lot of gadgets like Tablets, Smartphones etc which make accessing them very easy and convenient.

Stay away from these and you will find studying a bit easy..go to a library or a quite study room or study in groups..will motivate you more..and will help you concentrate and focus more.

People have information anxiety thesedays and constantly feel that someone is messaging them or emailing them or something like that, when its not really true..but they keep on checking their gadgets for that.

The days I stay away from my tablets, computers , cell phones , Tv etc..I seem to be extremely more productive and focussed.
    ticul likes this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I've never been a study type of person. Luckily the majority of courses have come easy to me so I could just rely on what I learned and not have to study. I just can't figure out how to keep my attention on what I should be studying. I thankfully finished college, but now am looking at finance courses and know I will need to study for them. I just haven't figured out a method so far that will work on me! Maybe I will have to try the Starbucks route or another coffee shop that doesn't have wifi and see if that helps me to actually focus on what I need to without all these other distractions around.
    ticul likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just finished my first year back at school. I am in the same boat. I am a visual learner, not a book learner. Have someone sit there and show me something once and I am a pro, give me a book to read and I am taking a nap.

It is really tough, but the only thing that I found to work for me was to go to class and do my assignments and that worked....reading books was not a priority. Doing independent study is hard. It actually helped me figure out that I have ADHD.

Good luck!
    Natalka and ticul like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I agree with less distractions.
    How about going to the library?
    How about asking the librarian for help on study skills and any upcoming free library sessions on study skills?
    I used the library and librarians a lot. They like these challenges.

So, you've done chapter 2? Awesome!
    Ooohhh. I wonder what is in chapter 3?
    Make it a game.

Look at the table of contents about your next assigned chapter.
    Look at the end of the chapter, for the practice questions.
    See how many you can do without reading the chapter.
    See if you can find the answers to the practice questions in the chapter.
    And, how fast can you do it.
    Challenge yourself.

Then reward yourself every 30 minutes with a 5 minute break.
    Good luck!
    Natalka, ticul and GatineauGirl like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I agree with the people who say the OP should go to a library. Go somewhere boring and sit at a table facing a wall. Force yourself to stay there for three hours. Use Cornell notetaking for your notes, as you'll force yourself to write down main ideas and details, meaning that you engage more with the content of the chapter. When studying, cover the detail side of your notes and state what you know about the topics on the "main idea" side. Then check your accuracy. Highlight the things you missed, and move on. Once you've quizzed yourself on the whole chapter, review those highlighted areas and then quickly test again. While notetaking takes work, it makes the studying much easier.
    Natalka, Shwa Girl and ticul like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information