User Tag List

Like Tree17Likes
  • 9 Post By kiwis-mom
  • 2 Post By peachy1
  • 2 Post By dchu76
  • 3 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By kiwis-mom

Thread: Better then your average bank/grocery store coin machine (Durham Region)

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Hopefully not a repost......

For anyone in Durham Region (though other malls might be doing this as well.)

At the Pickering Town Center, beside the escalators near Customer Service desk (lower level) they have a new coin machine that allows you to cash in all your loose change for a Pickering Town Center Card. It's better then the other coin machines I've seen in grocery stores as it doesn't have any fees. As long as you deposit a min. of $5 in coins into the machine, you print the receipt and take it directly to customer service (must be done on same day) and you will get the full amount put onto a card which is good in just about every store in the mall (with a few exceptions-which they give you a list of). Now it is not exactly like a gift card (more like pre-paid credit card) as after 16 months of non-use you will start losing money...but why would you wait that long to use it?

I did it with the pennies we had around the house (and those found "lucky" pennies on the ground) and got a card for $25 for my 6 year old who will be thrilled that all her saving of the lucky pennies has paid off!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    uanoor, macw1960, SFARAZ and 6 others like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really like this post! Can you do a favor and post the exclusions? Thanks!

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Thanks for this info. I never looked at machine details. You get charged for the process??? I guess they nedd to make money to pay for machine. I will keep doing it the old school way. besides..I feel rich when handling all my coins!
    ticul and michigan803 like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

some td bank branches have it as well, and its free (as long as you are a td customer) , the machine prints a reciept and you take it to the teller and either deposit to account or exchange for cash.

http://find.td.com/coin

Bank of montreal same thing. and at one point it was free for everyone, not sure if that is still the case.

http://locator.bmo.com/?t=bb&lang=en&coin=true
    Last edited by dchu76; Fri, May 23rd, 2014 at 03:08 AM.
    uanoor and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dchu76 View Post
    some td bank branches have it as well, and its free (as long as you are a td customer) , the machine prints a reciept and you take it to the teller and either deposit to account or exchange for cash.

Bank of montreal same thing. and at one point it was free for everyone, not sure if that is still the case.

Welcome to Smart Canucks.

Good to know that TD does this, to help people save their money.
    When shopping grocery stores or convenience stores, and there is no line up behind you, the cashiers don't mind a bit of change. They are always looking for loonies, toonies and quarters because bank machines give $20 bills. If this is done in a few shopping trips, the stockpile of coins would go down quickly.

Plus the loonies, toonies and quarters are good or the do it yourself car washes or for laundry machines -- washers and dryers.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Fri, May 23rd, 2014 at 06:23 AM.
    uanoor, Ciel and SFARAZ like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

+1 It hard to find change when you need it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Welcome to Smart Canucks.

Good to know that TD does this, to help people save their money.
    When shopping grocery stores or convenience stores, and there is no line up behind you, the cashiers don't mind a bit of change. They are always looking for loonies, toonies and quarters because bank machines give $20 bills. If this is done in a few shopping trips, the stockpile of coins would go down quickly.

Plus the loonies, toonies and quarters are good or the do it yourself car washes or for laundry machines -- washers and dryers.
    For cute kids clothing check
    http://www.zulily.com/invite/sfaraz685

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by suependous View Post
    I really like this post! Can you do a favor and post the exclusions? Thanks!

The exclusions listed are:

ACCTAX SERVICES
    BANK OF NOVA SCOTIA
    CONTINENTAL CURRENCY EXCHANGE
    CORNER NEWS
    COUNTRY STYLE BISTRO DELI
    DENTURE CLINIC
    DOLLARAMA
    DR. AGARWAL
    DR. TONG
    DR. TSE
    DURHAM SEXUAL HEALTH CLINIC
    EDO JAPAN
    FRESHLY SQUEEZED
    HOT NAILS & AESTHETICS
    LOTTERY KIOSK
    MANCHU WOK
    MARLIN TRAVEL
    SHERIDAN SHOE REPAIR
    SMOKER'S CORNER
    THAI EXPRESS

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dchu76 View Post

If you are not a client at those banks however they charge you about 8 or 9%. Though if you pay bank fees at any of those banks you are technically paying for those machines as part of your monthly fees (so you might as well use them if you have an account there, get your moneys-worth people!!)

The Pickering Town Center Card is an alternative for those of us whose banks don't have the coin machines or don't want to spend the time rolling coins up to take to the other banks. The card can be used at almost all shops in the mall so it's not too bad of an option for people who have small change about. As well there is a Target in the mall so you can use it towards food items or the like.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

We did that at BMO couple of years ago. Had 3 or 4 yogurt containers full of coins. Ended up with almost 300.00. We bank at TD and then TD got the machine and we did it again (emptied the piggy banks) and got another 100 something. So that was a really nice chunk.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Our coin machine thread was last updated in 2012, so I'm adding the link here in case there are other Smart Canucks wanting to see the coin machines discussed to date beyond OP's thread in this section:

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/200575-...either-canada/

It's good to know shopping malls are offering coin counters!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information