User Tag List

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
Like Tree3307Likes

Thread: Saving for summer fun - June 2014 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!! (it's been a while since anyone posted one)

Since many families go camping during the summer & nicer weather....

Are you tenting, camper trailer, 5th wheel, staying in a cabin/cottage?

Do you bring/cook the foods you would normally at home?

Do you buy special/treat foods as camping is considered a mini vacation (splurge on steaks,etc)

Do you pre-cook any of the foods before leaving to save time?

2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Great idea FBM with respect to the lunch $, I'll see how we are financially come the late summer and may embark on such a $ jar
    I just like knowing the money is there and not worrying about digging in my purse for change

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Well at the moment the cottage is rented out (makes financial sense at the moment) so we are tenting it. We prep as much as we can so we don't have to take as much. We eat the same really. Steak is a regular item in our house so it's not really a splurge. The splurge would be junk for us, nibs, doritos, chips etc. Stuff we don't eat on a weekly basis. I plan on frying up eggs at home so we can make quick English muffins the 1st morning. so yes we do pre-cook some things. One year we planned to have rice with chicken for change instead of potatoes so we made the rice at home and just heated up camping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I'm starting to plan our camping food. Ceaser salad for sure as both kids like it. My plan this weekend is to get organized for our 1st camping trip of the year which I hope to book this weekend for the 1st weekend of summer

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

We stay in an unfinished cottage

Yes, I shop from the pantry & freezer

Do you buy special/treat foods as camping is considered a mini vacation (splurge on steaks,etc)

Before we purchased the cottage lot & built/building the cottage we used to treat camping as a mini vacation and used to splurge on steak which we didn't have often but financially don't do that any longer and as we travel to the cottage often during the summer it's not considered in our minds a mini vacation any longer...

I pre-cook whole chickens, chicken breasts, sausages to save me from having to slave away at the cottage as I don't have the luxuries I have at home (lol)
    see above
    avoncallingu and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We are finished with camping and just gave our tent away-if away we usually do a house exchange or stay with relatives or in a cabin or inexpensive motel. We cook for ourselves if we have the facilities but might eat out once per day. If we are buying food while away it is often something from the gorcery store like a cooked chicken, salad and bread and fruit to eat in our room rather than a restaurant meal which we splurge on now and again.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    Maddensmomma hope you and your family feel better

Cannot really comment on camping as neither of my parents really seem to have use for the outdoors and they have passed it on to their kids. Mom's idea of camping is Holiday Inn (her words not mine) and dad says after doing installs for so long he feels no need to spend time outside unless working on something.

Been kind of busy the last two days, Monday night I finally got all of our plants planted so now we wait and see if my adventures in gardening will pay off. Than last night, all I wanted to do was nothing, I woke up in the morning with a lump on my neck and my neck was bugging me and than I developed a tension headache so all I wanted to do was sit on my butt and do nothing but that did not happen, instead I ended up putting away all of the dishes, emptied the dishwasher, reloaded the dishwasher, did all the hand dishes, and took our garbage. The kitchen floor needed to be cleaned as something was spilled on it when something was put in the garbage but in all honesty I could not bend over to do it so I decided that was enough and went to bed to lay on a heating pad.

Already took a sneak peak at the flyers so far the only thing really jumping out at me is the Free BBQ Sauce at No Frills, but will take a closer look tomorrow and see if there is anything else we need. Think we will go out Saturday and go shoe shopping as I live in running shoes and mine are getting worn out.

Hope everyone has a great day.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I need new runners too. I can feel it in my back. Will have to make sure I go Friday night or Sunday as I'm out of town Saturday.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good Morning All,
    Maddensmomma hope you and your family feel better

Cannot really comment on camping as neither of my parents really seem to have use for the outdoors and they have passed it on to their kids. Mom's idea of camping is Holiday Inn (her words not mine) and dad says after doing installs for so long he feels no need to spend time outside unless working on something.

Been kind of busy the last two days, Monday night I finally got all of our plants planted so now we wait and see if my adventures in gardening will pay off. Than last night, all I wanted to do was nothing, I woke up in the morning with a lump on my neck and my neck was bugging me and than I developed a tension headache so all I wanted to do was sit on my butt and do nothing but that did not happen, instead I ended up putting away all of the dishes, emptied the dishwasher, reloaded the dishwasher, did all the hand dishes, and took our garbage. The kitchen floor needed to be cleaned as something was spilled on it when something was put in the garbage but in all honesty I could not bend over to do it so I decided that was enough and went to bed to lay on a heating pad.

Already took a sneak peak at the flyers so far the only thing really jumping out at me is the Free BBQ Sauce at No Frills, but will take a closer look tomorrow and see if there is anything else we need. Think we will go out Saturday and go shoe shopping as I live in running shoes and mine are getting worn out.

Hope everyone has a great day.
    Hope you feel better soon hun, sounds like you having been having a rough time lately (hugs). Hope you have plentiful harvest with your garden.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Got a few things done, packed away the books I get for free from the general store (love that book exchange) so that they are put away for later reading, will keep adding to eat over the summer as they close it down in later October before the snow flies.

Dishes are done, laundry is folded I just need to package up some of my clothing that is more fall geared than summer and I am bursting at the seams (lol) small closet but it was all free so I can't complain.

I weighed myself today as I have been off my diet for a while, went off just before Easter and had to laugh as I lost 3 pounds

Posted a few of the boys clothing items for sale on 2 facebook pages not asking a lot just want them gone and a few bucks in my pocket would be awesome. Not posting pictures right away as I don't want to run up my gb of internet usage.

DH is at the cottage for 2 reasons 1) to meet with the hunting guys and make plans and the 2nd is move the furniture in the loft bedroom BUT I Just noticed the other 2 fellas decided to change the location of the meeting from 1 persons property to another guys garage, I have no way of getting a hold of dh as we do not have cellphones, emailed the guy back telling him that dh did not see the message before he left and will be showing up at the original location.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Nancy- I thought you were having a relaxing day! You have been busy. I should take a weekday off before the kids are out of school but with only 2 weeks left it doesn't leave me much time.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning! Yay, we have sun! Hoping we have a day or two without rain.

Never have been camping, never have wanted to.

Our son, though, got introduced to it through friends and he's gone for a day or two. He's going at the end of the month.

Hope everyone has a FAB day!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Bought 5 boxes of Kool aid jammers for $1.67 at Walmart. Great for soccer night tomorrow. Will pop in the freezer tonight and take for the team tomorrow

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

We have a camper trailer that we travel with.

Yes. We shop our pantry, fridge and freezer. I plan the menu, shop ahead of time and take all the fresh produce, dairy etc... that's left in our fridge and usually we don't need to make a stop at the store before we go.

Just a bit of junk food and campfire treats we normally don't buy (smores stuff, hot dogs, chips and candy etc...)

I wish I had time to but I find it hard enough to plan and pack on top of regular housework and 11 hours a day of daycare kids.

See answers above
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Wed, Jun 11th, 2014 at 02:27 PM.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

we don't camp. we did have all the equipment. my dh took the kids a few years back to a local park. supposed to spend the weekend there. they were back Saturday afternoon. by Sunday all camping stuff was given away. dh was not impressed.

well finally conquered my to do list. kitchen is clean(pot of coffee now on), garbage is ready to go out, beds are made and clothes all put away. two more loads tonite.
    dining room is finally cleaned wow.
    feels good to have a good chunk done mid week.
    guess this is what happens when you get bad news about family.
    avoncallingu and SassyAshley like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information