User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: UGH! Unexpected expenses!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

So we take the car to CT (we've been taking it there since we moved here) to get the work done we'd already had quoted (and parts ordered). They then call me to tell me.....
    a) They couldn't fix some bushing thing because somehow they only got 1 instead of 2...
    b)Because they couldn't do the bushing thingy they decided to wait to do the cushion thing on the suspension. Got home and realized those 2 things are on opposite ends of the car!!! They were about to change the bushings on the wrong end of the car!!!! We've pointed out TWICE that they had it listed on the quote wrong. (Once place says front, the other says back, front is right!)
    c)Didn't replace the power steering hose because.......the other power steering hose is leaking AGAIN (under warranty but we'll need to pay labour) AND the rack & pinion is leaking

So I picked up my car, paid nearly $400 for the work they did do (brakes) and got a $2500 quote for all the crap that still needs to be done! ARG! Guess I won't be getting the floors done this summer afterall. Not to mention that my car will be in the shop 2 days likely since they didn't do the cushion thing today.

Then, I go to download my transactions for Quicken Cash manager and it's still not working. Finally figure out why. The 2011 version I have is no longer supported. I need to pay $40 for the 2014 version. I got the 2011 for free!

As I sit here and type this pity party, I am reminded that my laptop is on its last legs. Sigh....
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire, Guess
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

The title of this pic should read

HERE'S A LIST OF THINGS I LIKE........................

about CT Automotive repair shops

Do I ever understand your frustration on this one Insane. There is a reason so many people NEVER take their vehicles to CT for any maintenance....I know what it is like to be stuck and have them as the only place you have available to go to.

Pity Party allowed!!

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Aw, sorry to hear you're having one of those weeks. It seems like everything happens at once. Here's hoping next week is a much better one.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I took my car to CT once.
    Once.

NEVER AGAIN.
    Lesson learned.

I've felt your pain.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

So sorry all this is being put upon you.

We learned our (very expensive) lesson with CT in the past, too. It's just horrid.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The one time we used CT they were out of spots they use so parked it randomly in the parking lot and lost the keys. We spent an hour walking up and down the parking lot (shared with the mall) then they wanted to charge us for new keys!
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It is a very long time ago and we were quite naive about CT at that time, but it got to the point that no matter what we took the vehicle in for the bill was always around 300.00 +....... usually with " explanations " that might as well have been said in Greek so we finally had to look for alternatives to making these crazy regular CT donations.

babies teach us acceptance

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Just say no to Canadian Tire.
    Sorry you had to go through this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

If you can, try taking your car to a smaller none chain garage, they're usually cheaper and have better service.
    I took my car to Canadian Tire for an oil change once and they found lots of "problems" that they wanted 4 grand to fix. I had my now Dh look at it and NOTHING they told me needed to be done actually did.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Agreed with all of the above. DO NOT go back. While I am a big fan of the retail part of Canadian Tire, that does absolutely not include their auto service. Took my vehicle there once for the most basic of all maintenance (oil service) and they messed it up. Never again! Find a privately owned garage that has been in business for a while. These other chain establishments typically have a high turnover of employees, who knows how experienced these "mechanics" are. Even dealership mechanics seem to be untrustworthy (I've had so many troubles with the Hyundai dealership! Don't get me started.).
    I've heard from another source (not so sure on the reliability of this, however) that the mechanics at CT are told to "find" other trouble spots in the vehicle. I'd like to see one of those undercover programs investigate it...
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Wow, that is discouraging. Sorry that happens to you. I will, for sure, never bring my car there. I know it is not a happy brag but, thank you for sharing as lots of us are learning not to bring our car there.................................

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    So we take the car to CT (we've been taking it there since we moved here) to get the work done we'd already had quoted (and parts ordered). They then call me to tell me.....
    a) They couldn't fix some bushing thing because somehow they only got 1 instead of 2...
    b)Because they couldn't do the bushing thingy they decided to wait to do the cushion thing on the suspension. Got home and realized those 2 things are on opposite ends of the car!!! They were about to change the bushings on the wrong end of the car!!!! We've pointed out TWICE that they had it listed on the quote wrong. (Once place says front, the other says back, front is right!)
    c)Didn't replace the power steering hose because.......the other power steering hose is leaking AGAIN (under warranty but we'll need to pay labour) AND the rack & pinion is leaking

So I picked up my car, paid nearly $400 for the work they did do (brakes) and got a $2500 quote for all the crap that still needs to be done! ARG! Guess I won't be getting the floors done this summer afterall. Not to mention that my car will be in the shop 2 days likely since they didn't do the cushion thing today.

Then, I go to download my transactions for Quicken Cash manager and it's still not working. Finally figure out why. The 2011 version I have is no longer supported. I need to pay $40 for the 2014 version. I got the 2011 for free!

As I sit here and type this pity party, I am reminded that my laptop is on its last legs. Sigh....
    OP, at least you don't have to buy another car -- the things can get fixed at a good reputable mechanic shop
    At least you have some car savvy and were able to spot their bushing error early.
    At least you can go to the library to use their computers until you spot a wicked good deal on another laptop.

At least you can Google a free version of 2013 Quicken Cash Manager (just watch out for malware, trojans or viruses)

Just trying to make you feel a bit better....
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Jun 7th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyb View Post
    I've heard from another source (not so sure on the reliability of this, however) that the mechanics at CT are told to "find" other trouble spots in the vehicle. I'd like to see one of those undercover programs investigate it...
    Oh it's very true.

The one time I was at CT, waiting in their waiting area for them to "fix" my car, the door to the manager's office was open just a small bit. I guess he was talking to a new employee or something, because I heard something like, "You will always get the customer to go for the more expensive option, and if there isn't one, make one." After hearing that, my jaw dropped and I tried to get out of there as soon as possible.

Next time I went to a very good mechanic in London, he was a bit more expensive, but he didn't talk to me like I was a gullible child. CT made it sound like if I didn't get that work done right then, that I'd crash and die if I drove it away.
    Last edited by GracieAnne; Sat, Jun 7th, 2014 at 11:58 AM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

my hubby took our Dodge SX to CT here in Hamilton just for an oil change and brakes - ended to be tonnes wrong and over $4500. So we just got a 2013 Dodge Dart and put the $4500 towards the payments.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Unfortunately we don't have much of an option. I live in the middle of nowhere. Like Santa's neighbour no where. All the little mechanics are plum booked and aren't actually looking to take on new clients. Seriously, it takes weeks to get into some of them! We had an idea of some of the problems, so I don't think they are exagerating about it either. I wish we had options.

I go to price match Cash manager 2014 at Staples and they refused to do it. It was from amazon.ca and they said they won't price match to online stores. hmph....walked across the street to Walmart and bought it there.

Okay, pity party done. Time to go bake some bread (making homemade bread is a fantastic way to work off some steam. Nothing like beating the crap out of some dough! )
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information