User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Sobey's Queenston going to Freshco and Fortinos Eastgate No Frills SuperStore

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks for posting grocery store news happening in that part of Hamilton, SCers! I thought it would be really odd to keep two Fortino's stores a short distance apart in operation. Think the discount store inside Gulliver's Square is going to be hard-pressed to keep its doors going with all of the discount grocery stores taking up spots on its turf.
    The Eastgate Square Fortino's will be missed-it's the last anchor store after Sears in that mall. I'm only aware of Mall Rd and Eastgate stores having self-checkouts unless I have forgotten that Upper Centennial Pkwy has them?
    The construction work at Barton & Centennial Pkwy must also be expediting business changes as a result of longer commutes.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

That construction is ridiculous, are they ever going to finish it?
    Back home my uncle works for a road company, if a project ever took as long as any Cdn one does they wouldn't have jobs anymore!
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Yes upper cennte nial has srlf checkout as well

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Hopefully these don't upload huge
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1402932503469.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1402932503469.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  38.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by FallenPixels; Mon, Jun 16th, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

and off too Sobeys tomorrow morning i go lol
    Ciel likes this.
    Season 40 Winners At War

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Check the dates on the yogurt, some were in the next few days, others had 2+ weeks but they all expire by July 10th
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

If they mark down cereal can someone let me know
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Im gonns vheck it out yomorrow wil let you know

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.
    Season 40 Winners At War

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They were all expensive today, the coupon rep must have just been there, lots of pads but they were all crappy
    ~ ~ ~

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What! are you serious!? two of my faveourite grocery stores! =( I'm so sad to hear this..I can't imagine why! I hate No Frills and Freshco and Metro...ugh..I can't believe it so we won't have any Sobey's/Fortino's in the area..omg that sucks so much for me!
    I only do my grocery shopping at Fortino's and Sobeys =( unbelievable!
    Starsky's is expensive! Fortino's Sobey's I like! but I'm not gonna go all the way to Stoney Creek just to go to Fortinos that's a long ass way for me when I have no car! wth..this whole plan makes no sense..:/ I need a Fortino's and Sobey's! horrible planning.
    Last edited by JDI007; Mon, Jun 16th, 2014 at 08:00 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The Fiesta Mall Fortino's is on the 55-Stoney Creek Central bus route, so a short trip from Eastgate Square. But I understand the newer store is set back, so it might be a longer walk to the doors from the bus stop?

At least Starsky's offers the 2% off regular price groceries if you sign up for its loyalty program with keytags for swiping at checkout. Love what Starsky's has brought to Queenston & Nash-love the baked goodies there. Think Sobey's is opting out of the cheese counter battle with Starsky's.

The bus service options are great along Queeston Road (Beeline bus!) but not so much when you go north of Eastgate.
    Anna Michele and JDI007 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Usually people work during the week and go grocery shopping on the weekends and buses on the weekends run extra slow.. I live where I have to take the bayfront to go to queenston/nash and bayfront is a 30 minute wait on weekends IF they run on time which 98% of the time they don't many times I had to wait over an hour because 2 buses never came..they should really fix the bayfront bus route and add more buses to it or something to make it faster! and the stoney creek buses run slow too on weekends..it's all just very time consuming waiting for multiple buses over an hour and imagine doing that when the humid temperatures hit.. it's beyond exhausting..and carrying multiple, heavy grocery bags. or even in the winter time when it's so cold outside you can't expect to go all the way to stoney creek for some groceries when it's -30.
    I just don't understand..I do enjoy Starsky's but I get sick of it..:/ although I have to say they have the freshest fruits.
    But because it's a european store everything that they have that's NOT european like for example Nescafe coffee, my grapeseed cooking oil, Kraft salad dressings..they're more expensive than at a regular grocery store. I feel like only the actual european stuff is cheaper.
    ..I'm so sad..lol I know it sounds weird but Fortinos and Sobey's are good grocery stores..that I shop at every weekend, great, large selection of meats and everything and cheaper in my opinion.
    The worst I would say is Basiscs they have expired food too! many times I'v seen it's also dirty and smelly there/ the one on Barton...but of course that one stays -_-
    We have a Freshco very close by and a No Frills too around the Gage area..there's no need for more. Why so little Fortino's..and Sobey's..are they going out of business?
    ..I don't know I feel like in the past few years..new store openings and store closings some of them have been very unnecessary..
    ..yes because we need a giant dollar store at the mall..and one across from the other in the queenston plaza's..:/ but we can't even have a Fortino's and Sobey's. So the nearest Fortino's is in stoney creek..where's the nearest Sobey's?
    this is really not good..

Also, there's too many fast food places in the king area when you go from starsky's to eastgate..and where the new kelsey's is ..just that whole plaza where target is I'm sure they could fit a grocery store there.

/We need more Farmer's market's too! I still miss I don't know if anyone around the area remembers there used to be one at the nash/king area..it was small but everything there was fresh this was many years ago. I know the nearest one is again in stoney creek..sigh everything's in stoney creek now are we all supposed to move to stoney creek?
    Last edited by JDI007; Tue, Jun 17th, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

went to sobeys lot of empty shelves not alot reduced some marc angelo burgers, chicken(10.99) and pork(6.99) souvlaki 50% and still lots of red meat full price frozen foods ie Janes chcken and fish as well as jamie oliver 50% but regluar price is over $10 so still not really worth it, they have their high end cheese near the entrance marked down to 50% got a bag of parm for $6.45 they had bricks of it 50% too, all the goat cheese brie etc 50% off, BAby bell $4.99 50% off = $2.50 - $1.50 = $1 not bad
    the raid products and off 50% off i got the liquid ant killer 4.29 50% off $1.25 - $4 wub2 so 15c each (sorry none of it left) lots off off and raid spray etc. still there 50% off
    couple loaves of bread marked down not much by name brandjust in store pumperknicle and oat bran bread
    oh eah the Wing Wong frozen stuff too 50% OFF $2.99 - $1 COUPON OK NOT REALLY ANYTHING TO BRAG ABOUT BUT I LOVE MY SPRING ROLLS

YOUR BEST BET IS TO SHOP DAILY I IMAGINE THE RED MEAT WILL MARK DOWN ACCORDING TO EXIRY SO GO EARLY FOR BEST SELECTION GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED!!!

OH YEAH FALLEN
    NO NAME BRAND CEREAL YET - THEY HAD COMPLIMENTS FROSTED FLAKES $1.50 I THINK (WAY TO MUCH SUGAR FOR MY GUYS BUT FOR SOMEONE LOOKING TO STOCK UP GREAT PRICE)
    Ciel likes this.
    Season 40 Winners At War

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Fussy cereal eater here, he wants Lucky Charms, Life or something else (I stopped listening after giving him the are you kidding me face) but he may do something stupid like buy them from a convenience store

A007 I take the Bayfront over there sometimes too, while I have never waited that long for the bus, bad news, they are changing to a summer schedule next week

I have only been to that Fortinos once or twice, I usually hit the one on Dundurn on my way home on the GO bus and have him meet me there but it looks fairly busy whenever I am shopping in the mall. Unless it is a RCSS, I really don't see them changing to No Frills which would make their teeeny tiny Box No Frills store kinda useless. In my experience RCSS and Fortinos usually have the same quality fresh produce

Sobeys are closing a lot of stores / changing them to FreshCo - the quality (while better than some other stores) just isn't there to justify the higher prices and unless you are shopping at night, people don't want to pay for the convenience of it being open 24/7 when they don't shop at 3am.
    Ciel, Anna Michele and JDI007 like this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I know about the Bayfront bus woes-used to take it to/from work in the Burlington St/Parkdale area to get to Eastgate or reverse to downtown to head home in the burbs. Yes, weekend service schedules are hard but worse in summer!

And that Barton bus that passes Nash must be having "fun" trying to keep any semblance of a schedule due to the Centennial Pkwy work going on. I never know what temp. inside a bus to prepare for in summer: breezy/cool, A/C blast (awful if you've just been soaked in rain while waiting or walking to bus stop in summer), or no moving air and baking. I carry a light scarf or top for protection (good too for seats that are not great but are the only ones left).

Closest Sobey's to you would be the GO Express bus at Barton/Nash to Burlington GO then BT bus to Brant St. Sorry! Parkdale bus goes into Burlington downtown and you can use HSR transfer to board the 2-Brant St. bus. BT fares are higher ($3.25) for the trip back and weekday service is better if you can pick up your desired essentials in Burlington.

Believe it or not, Hamilton has more bus service overall, across all days of the week. If you don't believe me, try waiting for a BT bus at Mapleview Centre in off-peak periods (30 minutes between buses-can you imagine that happening at Eastgate or Lime Ridge?) on a weekday. I would not want to be stuck in Burlington during a major snowfall after peak period service (BT) on a weeknight. At least in Hamilton, chances are 1-King, 10-Beeline and 5-Delaware routes are running just late (better snow clearing in Hamilton on main routes) during a snowstorm or snowfall.
    JDI007 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information