User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Summer colds and thermostats

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I get a summer cold every year, and I know why.

It's because the temperature outside is 30C and the temperature in the office at work is 20.

Why do I have to wear winter clothes in the summer?!?

People complain about winter 9 months out of the year and then the 3 months of nice weather, they destroy with air conditioning.

I have to use the space heater in my office and I am still freezing.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    abbasgirl, Natalka, ROMEO and 4 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Getting sick isn't because of the temperature change, the virus or bacteria has to be present anyway.

However, I know it's irritating; I've worked in a similar office setting before.
    Who is control of the a/c settings at work? Is it something that can be negotiated?
    ROMEO, Ciel, greeny and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Unfortunately, I've never worked in an office where everyone is happy with the temperature. One person is too warm, the person at the next desk is too cold, so the powers that be seem to set the thermostat and 'walk away'. (Can't say I blame them.) I am the one who is always too warm so when summer hits and the air conditioning is blasting freezing air throughout the office, a complaint from me usually means everyone else is cold enough to want to wear mittens! There have actually so many complaints about temperature, and enough people fiddling with thermostats, that they put lock boxes on the thermostats when it got out of hand. I feel for you...hope your office can find a solution.
    Natalka, ROMEO, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I'm always cold indoors in summer. I hate having to carry a sweater with me to work or if I go out for dinner. My old job was the worst. We used to have the temperature super low because some people worked near giant ovens ad would roast. But the rest of us were freezing.
    abbasgirl, ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    Unfortunately, I've never worked in an office where everyone is happy with the temperature. One person is too warm, the person at the next desk is too cold, so the powers that be seem to set the thermostat and 'walk away'. (Can't say I blame them.)
    This, you can never please everyone. At least you can layer up and you aren't one of the poor souls working in the 30 degree weather.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I get a summer cold every year, and I know why.

It's because the temperature outside is 30C and the temperature in the office at work is 20.

Why do I have to wear winter clothes in the summer?!?

People complain about winter 9 months out of the year and then the 3 months of nice weather, they destroy with air conditioning.

I have to use the space heater in my office and I am still freezing.
    Bring a sweater to work. Sometimes it's so cold I have to wear fingerless gloves at work while doing paper work.

I hate extreme temperature change...if it's 40 degree outside (with humidex) and the indoor temperature is 20 our body perceive the temperature as much lower...(I shriver and have a headache when A/C is temp is too low).

I think it's best to set the temperature according to seasonal temperature for example for summer 25, winter 19 or 20. That way our body temp is closer to the outside temp and won't be a huge shock that can weaken our bodies.

In our family, someone insist to set winter temperature to 25 and summer temperature to 18. So I have to wear tank top in winter and sweater in summer. When asked if you can stand 25 degree temperature in winter then why can't you stand 25 degree in the summer? No answer, eh?
    Last edited by Decaf; Wed, Jun 25th, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Natalka`s comment about present virus or bacteria-make nice with building management and just check that the maintenance person or contractor has done a recent check or drain of water from the AC system. Would not hurt to ensure that someone is making sure water is not `keeping`something company and circulating through the system. If you recall the stories from about 4-5 years ago, water features inside hospitals got taken out due to illnesses borne by recycled water; homes with Legionnaire`s cases tended to have standing water in equipment with the requisite lifeform causing all the trouble.
    I`d add that you should wipe down office equipment, light switches (wet wipes) and computer keyboard (using computer safe spray with microfibre cloth) as a regular routine part of cleaning up your workspace. Chair rests, door knobs; you know the drill.
    I`m one of the people in Hamilton that carries something on the bus for the frigid rides or when venturing into cold stores.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

now i have a nasty cold!!

due to poor neglect of hand hygiene 101

i usually avoid touching things in public

and wash hands as soon as i get home

but let it go

i know i caught this nasty virus either at the mall or subway

or using the ATM machine with my bare fingers

it didn't occur to me that i could pick up a virus during the summer

and now i'm paying for it
    Last edited by frugal50; Sun, Jul 6th, 2014 at 04:16 PM.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Managed to get one sinus dripping due to A/C exposure this week (was grateful my eye was not wet too) and then the next day, the other sinus started to run! What fun wearing my spring coat this week to stave off A/C indoors and the chilly wind outdoors.

Well Shoppers benefited from me as I bought a box of Life brand tissues and pkg of pocket tissues yesterday to ensure I was not running out. Not that I really needed all those tissues-long walk seemed to stifle most of it but I kept sneezing!
    Decaf and Davetherave like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^^frugal50 we have that same bug...sorry to tell you it is brutal and has hung around for over a week. re: AC bothers me too when it is set too low. Some of the bigger office towers and buildings are hard to regulate.
    Ciel likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Getting sick isn't because of the temperature change, the virus or bacteria has to be present anyway.

However, I know it's irritating; I've worked in a similar office setting before.
    Who is control of the a/c settings at work? Is it something that can be negotiated?

Yes, the temperature has nothing to do with catching a cold. It's all about being exposed to viruses. This is why you can pretty much catch a cold any time of the year. The reason it seems most people catch colds in the winter is because we tend to spend more time in doors and in closer proximity to others. That being said, not everyone can tolerate cold temperatures. The problem is making everyone happy in an office is hard to do. Some find it hot, some find it cold.
    Ciel likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    now i have a nasty cold!!

due to poor neglect of hand hygiene 101

i usually avoid touching things in public

and wash hands as soon as i get home

but let it go

i know i caught this nasty virus either at the mall or subway

or using the ATM machine with my bare fingers

it didn't occur to me that i could pick up a virus during the summer

and now i'm paying for it

Don't forget to sanitize after pumping gas. Those pumps probably never get cleaned. We touch so many gross things on a daily basis...it's easy to catch something.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

The problem is in the summer men are still in suit and tie and want the office freezing as a result, while the women all try to wear sleeveless tanks in honour of the weather.

Just wear a blazer like the men and you'll stop complaining about the temps.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Throw menopause hot flashes into the mix and it will make for a really bunch of grumpy people!
    Ciel, seylz_gurl, frugal50 and 1 others like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    The problem is in the summer men are still in suit and tie and want the office freezing as a result, while the women all try to wear sleeveless tanks in honour of the weather.

Just wear a blazer like the men and you'll stop complaining about the temps.
    Oh, yea? a woman will stop complaining? Funniest thing I read all day.

(Just kidding ladies!)
    seylz_gurl, lecale and toronto166 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information