User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Update: Photos! .Finished painting! Any tips on painting a room (interior)?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a spare bedroom that is used as a office/guest bedroom. The walls are a bland white. I've never painted before and plan on tackling the room this summer. I know I need paint , brushes, rollers, and painters tape. Anything else?Any tips you can provide?

The paint color is a light teal (blue-green color). Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by toban; Wed, Jul 9th, 2014 at 10:21 AM.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Good luck.. kidding.
    i'll be doing the same thing soon. only repainting a soft white color.
    IF possible remove everything from the room, if not place in the middle cover it all with old sheets.
    Then, take any cover plates down, cover with tape. remove light fixture if possible do the same thing. if you want the trim to be white, cover it as well.
    If holes are to sealed, putty well. wait for it to dry, sand. repeat if necessary. If no holes. proceed with painting.
    make sure paint is well mixed. line all floors with sheets/plastic. wear OLD clothes, gloves if you need to.
    have items near door, phone, drink, food. so you don't have to go far.
    when taking a break bring a ziploc bag for your brushes to be put into. keeps them from drying out.
    line your paint tray so you can easily discard without having to clean.
    have a pot of water/cloth nearby if you need to touch up a paint 'smear' on a white all.

keep windows open, music on and have fun!
    Ciel, walkonby, toban and 2 others like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    Good luck.. kidding.
    i'll be doing the same thing soon. only repainting a soft white color.
    IF possible remove everything from the room, if not place in the middle cover it all with old sheets.
    Then, take any cover plates down, cover with tape. remove light fixture if possible do the same thing. if you want the trim to be white, cover it as well.
    If holes are to sealed, putty well. wait for it to dry, sand. repeat if necessary. If no holes. proceed with painting.
    make sure paint is well mixed. line all floors with sheets/plastic. wear OLD clothes, gloves if you need to.
    have items near door, phone, drink, food. so you don't have to go far.
    when taking a break bring a ziploc bag for your brushes to be put into. keeps them from drying out.
    line your paint tray so you can easily discard without having to clean.
    have a pot of water/cloth nearby if you need to touch up a paint 'smear' on a white all.

keep windows open, music on and have fun!
    Thanks for all the great tips. The trim along the floor and door frame are light brown (wood). I don't plan on painting the trim. I'm excited to paint!
    Ciel likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I addition to the above, but the best paint you can. I recommend Dulux (it is BOGO) right now. Also, ask their advise on getting the best roller. A good roller really does matter!

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

do a feature wall
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Put a light coat of Vaseline along your browline and on back of hands. Easier to wipe paint off of skin later! You may wish to wear a cap or scarf to protect hair from drips.

Puncture the paint can rim in a few spots with an awl so excess paint can drain back into can after you finish pouring.

Dollar store sells the plastic dropcloths to cover flooring.

Would suggest getting that metal tool
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/pain...cleaner/968550
    that is a comb on one side and curved on other for cleaning paint brushes (bristles and not foam; an angled bristle brush that is narrow can be good to have) or rollers at end of each painting day-wash the brushes and rollers (Palmolive and warm water worked for me plus rinse) as soon as you cap the paint can. Hang brushes vertically from pegs to air dry after removing as much water as you can from bristles (remember to run that metal comb through too before leaving brushes to dry) or roller (run curved edge over all over roller to remove water then fluff up pile to air-dry on a laundry rack outside or over a sink).
    The feature wall idea-painting one wall in room a different colour or tone for displaying framed art or items, kind of like a gallery does.

You don`t indicate state of existing wall paint-sometimes walls may need a cleaning or a wash with TSP. You may or may not need a primer coat first. Or you can look for a primer and paint in one-Behr at Home Depot does this and costs a fine fortune but you`ll like the results. Ooh, paint rebate offer until July 2! http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/Hom..._rebate_EN.pdf

Painting strokes-if ceiling is high, you may want that extension rod for your roller cage if perching on a stepladder and reaching is not your style (or your back`s idea of a fun time).
    Handy videos for you starting with:
    http://www.homedepot.ca/know-how/vid...o-paint-a-room

Happy for your new experience! Seize the opportunity! You may get carried away and decide to change light fixtures, cover plates (did you know there are foam insulation kits for outlets), carpeting or furniture or add storage solutions. And it`s cool to see a room empty or sparsely furnished for a time-all that space!
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Jun 25th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
    toban likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, YouTube is great for this
    toban likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I painted my whole house myself over a course of 2 years. Most importantly, be patient and don't rush your paint job. Here's what I would do:
    1. Make sure you have space to move around. Move all your furniture to the center of the room.
    2. Prepare your walls, remove cobwebs, dust, remove outlet and switch plates. Patch up holes or imperfections in drywall
    3. Start with all edges and corners first. Use painter's tape around trim and edges, if you dont have a steady hand.
    4. Lastly, paint roll the walls. Don't try to coat the wall with one heavy coat. This will cause a major mess...splatters and drips everywhere!! Two thin coats is the way to go!Make sure you have cloths and rags for drips and clean-ups. I wouldnt recommend plastic coverups coz the paint will remain wet and can cause potential mess. You need something to absorb the paint, in case you spill.
    If you need to continue painting the next day, you can store your brushes and rollers in a plastic bag in the freezer until you are ready to use the next day. It saves on needing to cleaning tools each day. Just defrost before you begin again.
    If you have a small spill, make sure you clean it asap. Blot, don't wipe.
    Good luck!
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

i will offer, wear a hat...the older the better. And make sure it's one that you can pull your hair through the back.

You will be surprised how much paint splatters...i was finding it in my hair weeks later!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

When they tell you it's a one coat paint, they are lying.
    secheltsaver and tobiwobi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I like all the suggestions above.
    Invest in good painters tape and a good roller (lint free).
    You will also need a good brush to cut-in for your edges. I usually do this first, then go in and roll.

I think most paints are 2 in 1 (paint and primer) and those are great! The only ones I buy. I buy from Home Depot and buy CIL ($7 mail in debate for every can right now).

Painter and Primer really hides any imperfections that you may make with your first coat.

I suggested long (top to bottom) strokes while painting.
    One wall I did the smaller W formations and found it was really streaky. I also like to do a heavy first coat, as I found it makes the second coat go faster and easier.

Have fun!
    toban likes this.
    WHATT, You aren't doing Swagbucks? http://swagbucks.com/refer/acosta22

TRADE:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members/acosta/
    FT TONS OF NEW COUPONS JUST UPDATED

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I always buy a fairly expensive cutting in brush angled and pay over $10 but they are worth it.

toban likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I also never re-use rollers, when I am in between coats I put the roller in a garbage bag and seal it. It does not dry out and you can use it for the 2nd coat. Usually recoat is 2-4 hours.

I guess I am fussy I just don't like the way they are after washing them.

I am about to do 2 bedroom this year. Going to do a stripe pattern also. Can't wait to start.
    walkonby and toban like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for all the great tips and suggestions. The walls are in good shape but likely need a good wash. What is TSP for cleaning?

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

yes. TSP removes anything on the walls that shouldn't be there. creates a clean surface. follow directions and you should be fine.
    toban likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information