User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1147Likes

Thread: Time For A Bragging Rules Discussion

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Expired
    For a while we have tried to have no "negative" comments on brags but to be honest, people are taking it a little too far (someone left the forum for example when a newbie asked them which coupon they used - just because the newbie wanted to get the same deal but the other person felt it was accusing her of misuse of coupon).

The moderators also receive a lot of complaints and reports asking us to remove brags where the coupons have obviously been misused, or shelves cleared - something I am sure most of us can agree hurts couponers.

So what do you want to see in brags as far as rules?

People are put off by negative comments but there are a lot of SCers who used to be active in brags who don't brag as they feel unless you get everything free - even if it means misuse - its not worth bragging anymore because people see the crazy brags and want those
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yes I do think people need to be called out and threads with misuse need to be reported.

Just because you tried something illegal and got away with it does not make it Canada wide policy.

The newbies on this site are being trained in the dark ways of the force.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

in brags wish to see proper use of coupons -that's all I have to say -thanks for bringing this up fallenpixels -goodness me I never have a lot of free item brags hardly cause I dont use facebook (don't wish too)but I love bragging
    I would love to see more nice brag on even close or free or checkout51 or snapsaves deals
    or grocey store closing deals
    -sorry these are just my comments -i have couponed for 30 some odd years and I have tried to always do it right and I never clear shelves
    - I would hate to see any of these points programs end -cause I love my optimum,airmiles, aeroplan,p.c points ,sobeys,scene points cant think of the rest right now-cause these points programs help my bottom dollar -me personally they help save in this one part of my life

-so coupon misuse brags should be deleted -my opinion
    -oh and I love this smart canucks site" forever" because i will be couponing til the day i am gone- its in my blood-lol
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Jun 27th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
    scbpooh, Natalka, ROMEO and 22 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use to love reading the brags and tried to get some of those myself, however this past year I would say I have really been put-off by things. With the surge in couponing and misuse, I have found that the deals just are not there for me anymore.

coupon misuse hurts us all, and when someone is on here bragging about it and knowingly gets away with it, well that bothers me. However I do not feel that it is very community minded when people jump and attack others for making simple mistakes.

I believe that a positive way to deal with it is to make it clear that brags where there is obvious coupon misuse will be deleted. Brags where there is mistaken coupon misusage can be deleted as well, however a nice general pm stating that coupon misusage brags are not acceptable to post can be sent to keep things friendly.
    People who are constantly posting bad brags should not be permitted to post in the brag section.

Or is it possible that once a post is noted for misuse that the post automatically goes into a moderation status until it is approved for posting?

just a few ideas...I love this place and the people here and want to keep it as positive and helpful to everyone.
    Last edited by i_forget; Fri, Jun 27th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have only been couponing for a couple of years and SmartCanucks has been a staple for me during this time. I do not believe exploiting something that is underhanded, and I think if someone posts something to this effect, there is no harm in posting and bringing it to their attention, perhaps they didn't see it that way. However, there are ways to state something and some of the responses to the posts are down right nasty and really makes you question whether or not you REALLY wish to put yourself out there like that for fear of being ridiculed. Perhaps some of i_forgot's ideas might work.

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

In the past, the brags were genuine - where the OPs abided by the terms on the coupons & store policies.

In the past year it has gotten to be ridiculous - just because a cashier (who may not understand the coupon) or the store's system doesn't catch the fraudulent use right away, it doesn't make the purchase a "brag"!
    Unethical/fraudulent brags should not be allowed - period. Regardless if you "Got away with it".
    Oh and the "no negative comment" to brags - if someone is intentionally doing something wrong, they should be called out on it. It's becoming so common, that I don't bother commenting on brags anymore, because they are not "true" brags.

wanted to add:
    I am also tired of seeing OPs claiming to be "attacked" when other members question their brag. Maybe someone just wants to get the same deals they did - if they are not guilty of any misuse, they shouldn't be so sensitive....

rant done, lol
    Last edited by angel_2011; Fri, Jun 27th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    Or is it possible that once a post is noted for misuse that the post automatically goes into a moderation status until it is approved for posting?
    It is hard to police. I remember deleting one not long after I became a mod bc it got crazy with people claiming she used a wrong coupon, turned out she had a coupon from a complaint with no restrictions. Now, she could have solved a lot of the issue by mentioning it instead of fighting back in the thread. But it is one of the reasons we are reluctant to pull brags - not everyone posts their coupons in the scan thread etc or mentions which one they used etc
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

What Im about to say is all my personal opinion and I have been thinking this for a while now but not sure where to post my thought so Im really glad I found this thread!

I agree brags have gotten out of hand. Seems like if its not a completely free brag no one even cares anyone! Im almost a 6 yr veteran here and I still to this day would be lost with out it!

I agree that LOTS has changed! I remember the day where we could easy take coupon and legitly(sp) get things for free no questions asked! Hell I remember the good days when we got the HV coupons in a regular insert, but with all the abuse out there these days were down to getting what ex:.25c off Tide! Like really!!!!

There are days that I do sit here and think, is it really worth doing this anymore? Is it really worth the hassle of trying to have an amazing shop? Then I do, and come here to brag, and because I didnt save 90%+ on my bill or didnt get $$$ worth of things for free, it seems that its not brag worthy!

I DO NOT nor never will misuse or abuse a coupon! Hell I cant imagine using, nor can I recall ever using more than 5-6 types of one same type of coupon in the transaction! I dont beleive in misusing, and abusing coupon or things are just going to get worse! Coupons are going to end up being mer cents coupons and nothing with be of much value!

I also have a problem with ppl who do shops, like at LD, who buy hundreds of dollars one one single product and then do what with it!!! Leaving it sitting in your stock pile for years? If you are donating or buying it for a legit reason then ok, but if you just buying it "because you can" then really, all your doing is ruining it for the rest of us! I dont even try and stack at LD anymore for this simple fact! I know the management our our LD store and have been told why and how things have gotten they way they have is because off all of the "use and abuse ppl"

I could go on and on as i have alot more thought but I have kids who are trying to get my attention.

As i said Im sorry if I offend anyone by my post! This is all MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION. Please do not attack me for this!!!!!

Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I agree with most of what has been said in the thread so far. However, I've gotten to know a lot of people on this forum and I genuinely believe most of us are not ill-intentioned. When I see a brag in which the OP has misused coupons, I generally just take it as a mistake: I've misused coupons in the past due to vague wording or just plain oversight and I'm sure it's happened to us all (last week I gave the cashier an expired coupon! good thing she caught it). But I agree that there has been a lot of negativity lately in the brags and I myself haven't posted anything in ages.

And I also love hearing about brags that aren't just 100% free. Personally, one of the hardest things to save money on is groceries (everyday groceries), so seeing other people get even 40-50% off on a grocery transaction is exciting to me!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I think we should be able to express our opinions, in a nice respectful way, without being accused of bashing or being negative. I don't think its fair that because some people, IMO, are overly sensitive and seem to take offense to everything that the rest of us are not allowed to express our opinions. I think as long as its done peacefully and with respect then there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

The only thing I had for free is Barilla and I was so exited. If I get free product, it is bonus, but my gold is to save on groceries. Like MTCouponner mention I like reading the brag that aren't just 100% free, it still help me a great deal. I dont look for free just being able to save is exiting for me.

So, what I am saying is keep up the good work on the brag. There still a lots of great brag and good peoples that brag also. We can not forget that and the bad brag just read it and move on. Do not let that brag get to you.

There is more great brag than bad one...................................

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think a brag should be where a couponer is proud of what they have achieved while working within ALL of the rules and restrictions - it's a 'look what I was able to do, isn't that great!' kind of thing.

We all know, or should know, store policies and we all should read our coupons - if we need clarity on a policy or coupon conditions we can ask - folks here have seen it all before!

When I read a brag where someone should know better and says ' the cashier didn't call me on it', or the cashier 'gave me overage even when they aren't supposed to' it makes me cringe - what do we teach our kids? We teach our kids to always do the right thing, to not cheat, etc - so lets practice what we preach. I have been with countless cashiers whose mistakes would have gone in my favour instead of against me - and I ALWAYS help them - I don't want them to get in trouble, I don't want the store to think I'm trying to rip them off the next time I go there and I don't want policies to get more restrictive as a backlash to poor couponing etiquette!

Soooo, I do think brags should be where someone legitimately got a great deal, that they feel proud of where we all can give them a shout out - and if we can learn or replicate the deal, than even better!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BCcheapMom View Post
    When I read a brag where someone should know better and says ' the cashier didn't call me on it', or the cashier 'gave me overage even when they aren't supposed to' it makes me cringe - what do we teach our kids? We teach our kids to always do the right thing, to not cheat, etc - so lets practice what we preach. I have been with countless cashiers whose mistakes would have gone in my favour instead of against me - and I ALWAYS help them - I don't want them to get in trouble, I don't want the store to think I'm trying to rip them off the next time I go there and I don't want policies to get more restrictive as a backlash to poor couponing etiquette!
    This is the issue, SC has new members all the time and they expect to be able to replicate these brags, but they can't and end up fighting with cashiers etc because other people are allowed.

I have actually been in Walmart with someone in front of me arguing with the cashier to the point that they called the police because "well I saw a brag on "competing site" and Walmart allowed it there". I just can't imagine getting the police called over wanting to misuse a coupon that badly - whether someone else did it or not. But it was an eye-opener to me that people do copy the brags, even if its pretty clear they are not right.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I can see you all reading, don't be afraid to reply even if you disagree with the majority - we need as many opinions as possible before changing the rules

So far this has been a very respectful discussion with no personal attacks, lets keep it that way pls
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

I believe that if someone intentionally misused a coupon, they probably wouldn't brag about their crime! I always believe them to be genuine errors. I myself have made mistakes before. If the couponer and the cashier both understood a coupon in the same way, it was likely confused wording.

I think that there should be a positive comments only rule.

Making note of misuse should be for the purpose of the readers, not to hassle the OP.

And, I think that the brag section could be a little friendlier towards shelf clearers. If I have 100 coupons for 100 free products, and I know I can use them, or give them to people who can, them Im gonna clear!!!! If the store has a problem with that, they will stop me. Otherwise, I'm not breaking any rules.
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information