User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: I suspected as much...Dollar stores

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's been bothering me since spring, and I've finally had the time to do a little searching around for anything that might support my suspicion so that I didn't feel it was "just me".

I quite like the Garnier Frictis shampoos and conditioners...they work very well for my hair. So I was excited to find the exact shampoo, in the exact bottle, at a local dollar store. I'm not sure which one, we have two different ones scattered around town. I bought a couple and was really pleased at the price.
    However! It was NOT the shampoo I was accustomed to! I had to keep adding shampoo to get the sMe foamy suds that I was used to and it still felt "watered down"! I thought it might just have been that one bottle, so I opened the other one the next day. Same thing. Okay, the game was on!
    I then picked up that shampoo a our RCSS, and used it the next day. THAT was the Fructis I was missing!
    So....I wondered IF those. brand-name products were just pale imitation of the real products.

Today I found this, and was thrilled that I wasn't the only one making those observations!
    http://money.msn.com/saving-money-ti...a-dollar-store
    #3: shampoo and beauty products....

I've stuck to my shampoo from RCSS, and used the other two in hand soap dispensers. They certainly didn't do what was expected of them as hair shampoo!

What are your thoughts? Any similar experiences?
    if I've posted this in the wrong location, please move it...
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Spring Shoes

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Lots of things are scary to buy at dollar stores - I can never understand why people buy any toy products there at all.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I have never bought much from the dollar store aside from party supplies.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Lots of things are scary to buy at dollar stores - I can never understand why people buy any toy products there at all.
    No kidding, Natalka! I have picked up superhero colouring books, other puzzle/maze type books which our grandson enjoys ( he loves mazes!), okay, a chocolate bar as a reward for me for,doing all that shopping... Other stuff like glass spice containers, but not food. Did you know that some Dollarama store in the US carry meats?! Gah!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Zonny and Anna Michele like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Dollarama now has a selection of OTC meds and vitamins. GAH!!
    I bought the centrum they sell. It was sealed and had a company coupon in the box so hopefully that means it's legit.
    I've bought shampoo in the past. My son liked the Tame with macadamian nut they had selling. I've been trying to find some more.
    Perhaps the company sold them some watered down version.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

I used to buy my kids toys there. As long as they're old enough not to but them in their mouths, it should be ok.
    We bought plenty to little cars and action toys.
    scbpooh and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Kids put everything in their mouths. My DS is eight and still does it. I don't buy much of anything there, definitely not food or toys. I remember reading about counterfeit toothpaste a few years back (who counterfeits TOOTHPASTE?), that pretty much sealed it for me.
    Natalka, Angela273, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I buy a lot of party supplies, office supplies (like envelopes, etc) and paper products (like cards, gift bags, streamers, etc) there. I find the $store is great for those type items. Oh I also buy things like tin foil or bbq tongs etc.

I won't buy anything edible or body related (creams, shampoos, etc). I've always wondered about the authenticity of those products. When I worked at a high end beauty company I remember a rep saying that if you see any of their products at a discount store to call and report it, as they are knock offs. They look the same but they are not. That always made me question all the beauty related products.
    scbpooh, Angela273, Zonny and 3 others like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

im with lots of you basic items..party decorations, gardening supplies, dish stuff, gloves and sponges i buy there. craft stuff.
    i dont' expect much from them so never disappointed. although they did let me exchange an item once. poor owl to not have a beak. tsk tsk.
    Angela273, Lynn49 and toronto166 like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Kids put everything in their mouths. My DS is eight and still does it. I don't buy much of anything there, definitely not food or toys. I remember reading about counterfeit toothpaste a few years back (who counterfeits TOOTHPASTE?), that pretty much sealed it for me.
    I do look for where the product was made when buying in the Dollar store.
    The centrum for example is a made in Canada product.

One good thing is that they were able to tract and recall those toothpaste.
    It's something to think about though, you can't get too complacent, especially with things you're using for your child or ingesting.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

But if it's a counterfeit product, can I really trust anything it says on the label (such as where it's made)? Not trying to be mean or anything, sorry if I come off that way.
    Natalka, Angela273, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

About counterfeits - this can easily happen here, as in the US

"The fake products included ChapStick, Johnson's Baby Oil, Vicks VapoRub, Vicks Inhaler, Vaseline and Always sanitary pads; the producers of the real products include major international brands such as Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Procter & Gamble and Unilever, prosecutors said.

Other products, including over-the-counter cold medicines and painkillers, also were recovered, officials said.
    ...Some sophisticated knockoffs may be hard to detect, but the price may be atypically low. Counterfeits will not have the same quality or consistency of real products."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/08/justic...auty-supplies/
    Angela273, Lynn49 and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

About counterfeits - this can easily happen here, as in the US

"The fake products included ChapStick, Johnson's Baby Oil, Vicks VapoRub, Vicks Inhaler, Vaseline and Always sanitary pads; the producers of the real products include major international brands such as Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Procter & Gamble and Unilever, prosecutors said.

Other products, including over-the-counter cold medicines and painkillers, also were recovered, officials said.
    ...Some sophisticated knockoffs may be hard to detect, but the price may be atypically low. Counterfeits will not have the same quality or consistency of real products."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/08/justic...auty-supplies/
    So true, Natalka. If "they" can reproduce the items, boxes and labels, it's a pretty safe bet that that've able to fudge the country of origin! Nope, I'd never consume anything from any dollar store. Chocolate bars, maybe...

Okay, I wasn't going to go theirs, but long story short, I purchased washroom wipes like the Cottonelle ones I usually use....just to keep tidy........but last fall I bought a package from a dollar store that looked like a product at regular stores and used them. I ended up at my doctor's office with a very serious bladder infection that almost went septic! I couldn't believe the pain! The only thing I changed were those wipes! I hate to think what in heaven's name was lurking on those wipes!!

So lesson learned...nothing from a dollar store will touch me! Even shampoo, that was a sham!
    Maybe tmi, but I don't want anything similar happening to anyone else! Use me as a bad example...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    But if it's a counterfeit product, can I really trust anything it says on the label (such as where it's made)? Not trying to be mean or anything, sorry if I come off that way.
    I'm hoping a shipment of products coming in the country with a made in Canada label would be noticed. Perhaps it could be faked here but I don't think it would be worth their while to produce fakes to sell at the dollarstore here in Canada with the wages we expect.
    If you're buying a name brand, it won't be long before fakes are spotted by the manufacture and the product would be pulled or it will become known that they're fakes. Just like Lynn noticed the difference in the shampoo.
    I believe Dollaramma buys from the manufacturer--- products that being discontinued or sample sizes etc.
    I think they're doing pretty good business and would be very careful to risk a lawsuit or to have people boycott them.
    I only buy from Dollaramma and occasionally Dollartree and I certainly don't have blind faith in them. I check the label and the expiration date and really buy very few consumable goods there.
    toronto166 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information