User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: Apparently I am free daycare

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Is it possible that the 14 year old was told to watch her and the 14 year old left?

I must have missed that info. I didn't read the child had a 14 year old sister. Perhaps the 14 year old was asked to watch the child but didn't care to? I don't think it's fair to expect a 14 year old to watch their young sibling all summer long. I can understand if parents have to work, the older siblings have to watch the younger ones...but if the mother is out shopping and hanging with her friends, then I can understand why the 14 year old would be pissed. I think there is a major lack of communication with the family. They all are passing that poor child around as if the child is a burden on them all. Very sad.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Is it possible that the 14 year old was told to watch her and the 14 year old left?
    Yes, It could be possible. If that is the case then she now has the information to deal with it.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    I must have missed that info. I didn't read the child had a 14 year old sister. Perhaps the 14 year old was asked to watch the child but didn't care to? I don't think it's fair to expect a 14 year old to watch their young sibling all summer long. I can understand if parents have to work, the older siblings have to watch the younger ones...but if the mother is out shopping and hanging with her friends, then I can understand why the 14 year old would be pissed. I think there is a major lack of communication with the family. They all are passing that poor child around as if the child is a burden on them all. Very sad.
    I am under the impression that this may very well be the situation, however I cannot say for certain.
    I do know that she was permitted by someone in the house to walk over to my house 2 streets away, unsupervised, at 6 years old as well.

There is no way I would ever let my kids do that. At 9yo, I am just letting my dd to walk to the park with her friends which is down the street and perfectly visible from my front porch....and I always watch them to make sure they are safe. My 7 yo (almost 8) is not allowed out of the back yard unless I am out watching him.
    Unfortunatly, some people just allow their young children to wander.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good for you for talking to the Mom! Sounds like a crazy situation.
    It can be hard to say no to kids, but if something like that happens again, it's best not to feed kids that you don't know. You never know what allergies they might have and some of them can be life-threatening. So for your sanity and their safety, it's OK to set clear boundaries.
    Angela273 and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Her only response should have been an apologetic one. She didn't even try to make excuses, blame the 14-year-old daughter, or say, "My daughter asked you to make her lunch? UGHHHH!" so I'm guessing that she's been aware of some of this and doesn't like being called on it. I'm sure your son and daughter will reconnect with the kids once school starts -- or, they could meet at the park.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Good for you i_forget! So sorry you had to deal with it!
    Angela273, i_forget and wolfwoman like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I think it's time to call child protective services in your area. The children are going unsupervised during the day.
    I don't disagree but wonder if letting the Dad know that the OP feels she has no choice but to call CPS if the situation continues would be the right thing to do. (I know that was a very poorly constructed sentence!) It may drive home the seriousness of the situation. In any event, if CPS is called we can be pretty sure the neighbour will know who called.
    Last edited by DianneS; Fri, Jul 18th, 2014 at 12:58 AM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You might want to make some notes...
    • what are you feeding them? Lots of meat? Seafood? Are the parents vegetarians?
    • what is it they crave for on table? Lots of KFC? Could the parents be saying no to fast food too often?
    • what are they doing in your house? Do you have a new video game console? Do you have internet? Do you have a big screen TV? Do you have a movie channel? Are the kids "grounded" at home, so they venture elsewhere for their electronic addictions?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hSbqaJZeIE

Make notes of their habits. What makes your home/family so attractive? Are you a "Yummy Mummy"?
    Last edited by xlxo; Fri, Jul 18th, 2014 at 02:28 AM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
    • what are you feeding them? Lots of meat? Seafood? Are the parents vegetarians?
    • what is it they crave for on table? Lots of KFC? Could the parents be saying no to fast food too often?
    • what are they doing in your house? Do you have a new video game console? Do you have internet? Do you have a big screen TV? Do you have a movie channel? Are the kids "grounded" at home, so they venture elsewhere for their electronic addictions?

Make notes of their habits. What makes your home/family so attractive? Are you a "Yummy Mummy"?
    Am I reading your post right??
    It sounds a bit accusatory for the OP, she did nothing wrong here, the mother of the child is in the wrong for not watching her own kids and KNOWING where they are during the day, that is HER job, not op's responsibility. What the heck is a yummy mummy?

babies teach us acceptance

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not what's she doing wrong... but what she's doing TOO GOOD. Is the "grass greener on the other side"?

There are several homes up and down the street. What is it that makes it attractive for those kids to continue to come back to this house... over and over again? Despite when the parents have told them to not return. Is it just a relationship with the children... or is there more? Looking at the title of the post.... does the poster project an image of endless wealth and time in the community?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yummy_mummy

At my house... I have mouse problems. Why do these nuisances keep coming to me? I keep NO food outside. I put large heavy rocks to block the mouse holes. I have toxin's. Yet the mice continue to come back over and over again instead of going too other homes. Is it because my garden soil is too soft making it easy for them to dig? Does the mice like roses, weeds, ferns and/or moss? Is it because my foundation and stairs, where they like to hide, is the a perfect shelter from heat and predators? Maybe those aren't mice, but squirrels, raccoons or skunks?

Our neighborhood has chaufer beetle infestation. My house has less of a problem. The big difference... I mow my own lawn.... tall. While my neighbors generally hire landscapers who cut the lawn ultra-short like for a golf green. Their lawn dries out in the hot summer sun... making it much easier for bugs to lay their eggs.

Anyone have tips on ants? In the old days, I put out ant traps. However I think I have a problem with fire ants that don't eat the poison.
    Last edited by xlxo; Fri, Jul 18th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post

Regardless of why the children are spending time at the OP's house, the fact remains that they are largely unsupervised. I don't know about your neighbourhood, but in mine parents check to see if the 'invitation' to spend unlimited time in another home is coming from the parents or the child. They also phone to see if it is really alright to stay or lunch, and they phone to say "my kids are at your house and I need to go to Safeway -- could you send them home, please." My house was often the centre of activity in our neighbourhood but parents still took responsibility for their own children. I highly doubt that any of the reasons listed above are the underlying cause for the fact that these children seem to roam the neighbourhood at will.

Edit: Although I did find your subsequent post about mice somewhat amusing, I'm not so sure about comparing children to rodents. Just sayin'...
    Last edited by DianneS; Fri, Jul 18th, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I guess I'm a yummy mommy. My honey told me that the kids stay all weekend because I make pancakes/eggs for breakfast and steak for dinner. Oh well, I just shop even smarter so I can feed the friends. I like having my teenager at home so it is worth it to me.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I guess I'm a yummy mommy. My honey told me that the kids stay all weekend because I make pancakes/eggs for breakfast and steak for dinner. Oh well, I just shop even smarter so I can feed the friends. I like having my teenager at home so it is worth it to me.

sometimes it's better being the "yummy mommy" and having your kids friends over at your home all the time.. that way you know what your kid is up to.. and know who your kid is hanging out with... and get to know your kids friends
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Exactly.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I can't believe yummy mummy has a Wikipedia page!!!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information