• 1 Post By greeny
  • 1 Post By dashingjames
  • 1 Post By Shirnette
  • 1 Post By tobiwobi
  • 1 Post By cityheatair
  • 1 Post By amelietremblay6
  • 1 Post By orton0140
  • 1 Post By 1Cigarette

Thread: Anyone here ever had a home built?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We moved in to our newly built home almost a year ago. We now have to plan for the sod, landscaping, and paving a cement driveway. Just wondering what we should do first? I'd prefer to do the sod and landscaping this year and pave the driveway next year as I've been told it's best to let it settle another year so as to avoid cracks. Any suggestions? Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you kindly.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Shirnette likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think it's a great idea that you prefer to do the sod and landscaping first before paving the driveway. We have just move in and me and my wife is just thinking of doing some reno. I agree to your idea. Maybe we have to do so on our own.
    Last edited by dashingjames; Thu, Jul 31st, 2014 at 09:20 AM.
    greeny likes this.
    <style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>My way to storage and removals melbourne that will surely help me with my problems

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks !

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Our house isn't custom built but we bought it pre-construction. The builder did sod & driveway and we did mini landscaping(gardening)last. The earth does take time to settle so its great to wait a while like you did.
    greeny likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Builders building new subdivisions tend to put sod on right away, and then they do one layer of asphalt on driveway when you move in, and then another layer a year after, because I guess things do shift and crack. Same for new roads, the final layer goes on a year after.

If you have none of the 3, you could maybe 1st do a landscaping plan, and then lay sod down to cover places where you haven't planned to plant plants, because grass can pretty much go on right away, but you don't wanna buy it and then pull it out for landscaping later. And then once you have that down, you could take your time gardening and planning what to do with the driveway later next year.
    greeny likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tobiwobi View Post
    Builders building new subdivisions tend to put sod on right away, and then they do one layer of asphalt on driveway when you move in, and then another layer a year after, because I guess things do shift and crack. Same for new roads, the final layer goes on a year after.

If you have none of the 3, you could maybe 1st do a landscaping plan, and then lay sod down to cover places where you haven't planned to plant plants, because grass can pretty much go on right away, but you don't wanna buy it and then pull it out for landscaping later. And then once you have that down, you could take your time gardening and planning what to do with the driveway later next year.
    I'm working with a landscaper and coming up with designs right now. Once the shrubs, trees, etc, are planted, the sod will go in. I will be doing the driveway next year. Yes, normally builders will do the sod and driveway for you but the homes in my sub-division come without any of that. It's a huge extra cost but it's something that has to be done.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When you built a new home, the first thing you to see for air conditioner or furnace installation whatever need as per your need. So that once you start living their, won't get any issue because of it.
    Last edited by cityheatair; Sat, Oct 11th, 2014 at 06:46 AM. Reason: spell mistake
    greeny likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well I guess completing paving the driveway should be your first priority and then sod and landscaping... BDW for my home I got all such upgrades done from my builder Bremont Homes. So can can check with your builder also.
    greeny likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks its a great idea that you share with us. i things do shift and crack. Same for new roads, the final layer goes on a year after.
    greeny likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you are going to complete everything at the same time . The best order is Top soil, driveway, landscaping ,irrigation system lines then sod . After sod is layed irrigation contactor needs to come back and install all heads .
    greeny likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Your ideas are wonderful. But, there is you need to spend much time to do this process. For what I said, this is not a simple task. Apart from build home, you simply get a residence from any real estate site. All over the internet, I had condo613 website while I search using condo sales in Ottawa and condo rentals in Ottawa keywords. As of here, I purchased condos for my convenience.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Driveway very, very last. When soil settles it will cave in towards your house, all water will want to run into your basement. Very expensive to dig up and replace. My son is looking at replacing his drive due to this situation and it will be $15 grand for cement and that is if he does all the work himself.

Thread Information