• 2 Post By Zonny
  • 2 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By mulock
  • 2 Post By super807

Thread: Maple Leaf Prime chicken breasts

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Atlantic Sobeys had a limited time deal on Maple Leaf Prime boneless skinless chicken breasts, $3.99 a pound.

We eat a LOT of chicken, but it's nearly always chicken thighs with bones and skin from Costco, very good quality, good price. I almost never buy chicken breasts both because of the cost (they're not usually less than $3 a pound here with bones and skin, $4+ for boneless on sale) and because I like the moistness of thighs better. They stand up to the crockpot better too, don't dry out.

But I bought these Maple Leaf ones today, just chopped some into cubes to marinate for kabobs. I can already see a big difference between the normal grocery store varieties. There's not a speck of fat on them, and the meat is really firm, it's just...different. I haven't cooked it yet (which will be the real test), but just from appearance and texture, so far they're a LOT better than regular ones. I'd never pay the regular price, but on sale this seems to be much better quality than the normal ones.
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Sobeys
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I've always wondered if they are water injected or just air-chilled - does the package say?

I just can't imagine paying that much for chicken, even at what you say is a sale price for you, but that's just me...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Here, $3.99 is a pretty normal sale price for boneless skinless. I've very rarely seen them for less. To get this brand for that price was pretty good IMO. Even the generic ones with bones and skin go for $3 a pound on sale, rarely any less. Normal price on the Maple Leaf Prime is at least $6 a pound I think!
    Natalka and ashy01 like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ouch on the price of Prime chicken, that is why I don't buy it. At least by appearance you have noticed better quality from your regular chicken, I have tried it with a sale and/or a PM but was not overly impressed with the taste difference ( I cannot recall there being any now? ) I hope yours tastes superb once you've finished cooking it.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I grilled the chicken tonight. Some was in kabob form with peanut butter, olive oil, onion soup mix and brown sugar. The other was just rubbed with some chipotle powder, salt and pepper then brushed with bbq sauce while it cooked.

Both were very good, I think that ML Prime was better than the generic chicken you get. But not enough better to pay way more for it.
    Natalka and walkonby like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

ML Prime is the chicken I buy. I love it. That generic stuff tastes too dry and tough to me. DH notices if I don't buy ML chicken. He's a really picky guy so I don't mind paying if it guarantees he will eat

@Natalka, pretty sure I read once that in ON, all chicken is water injected. My friend's family lives in Thunder Bay, and she was raving about this Manitoba chicken she ate that was the best she ever had. Nothing like that in ON
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

thanks t-gal - yeah, I won't buy water-injected - because it ups the weight and therefore the price, and literally dilutes the taste.

Wondering if the Manitoba chickens were from the Hutterites - they have a lot of colonies there, as we do here. We get them here occasionally and they are THE best chickens ever, ever, ever. They are big and meaty and awesome.
    walkonby and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find the Sobeys and Storestore boneless, chicken breasts are pumped full of water. When you cook them, ever notice how much water comes out? But yet the Wal-Mart chicken breasts don't do that, and seem to have little to no water pumped in them.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I prefer to buy BSCB ($3.99 LB is my price and under) bone in is cheaper but then I'm paying for the bone

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post

@Natalka, pretty sure I read once that in ON, all chicken is water injected. My friend's family lives in Thunder Bay, and she was raving about this Manitoba chicken she ate that was the best she ever had. Nothing like that in ON
    It's not all water injected. In the Ottawa area, we have a small chain (Farm Boy) that specifically states that their chicken is not water injected.
    Natalka and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Wonder if it does not come from Ontario? If it comes from another province but is sold here

As I said, in Thunder Bay you can buy Manitoba chicken that is not injected
    Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    It's not all water injected. In the Ottawa area, we have a small chain (Farm Boy) that specifically states that their chicken is not water injected.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Thread Information