User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Blackberry Q5, anyone have this phone. Read on please..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm still on the fence about a new phone. I'm considering the iPhone 5c. I also came across the Blackberry Q5 which is $150 on the Koodo tab or $200 on prepaid. Some people loathe BB, not as popular etc. Yet others say it's a decent phone. Anyone have it as a personal phone? Apparently you can load android apps through a special application. What is typing on the keyboard like? Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I don't own a Blackberry Q5 but do own a Blackberry z10 and I LOVE it - BB10 is amazing!!

And yes with BB10 you can download ANY Android App via these applications on your phone

Snap - 1Mobile Market or Amazon Appstore

I think when you ask people about Blackberry they are going on if they had a Blackberry previous to BB10 and they will say it sucks but I can assure you anyone who has a BB10 device is loving it

Plus it is Canadian!!!!

I sold both these devices everyday and I can tell you both models the Q5 and the iPhone 5C are the lower end of both manufacturers

They both do the same - email, text, calling, surfing

You have to ask yourself these questions

1. Do you want a completely touch phone or do you want a physical keyboard?

2. Do you want the freedom to purchase ANY branded accessory (wall charger etc) or do you want to be tied down to Apple

3. Which do you like better???

Go to a store and play with BOTH and decide

Good luck - my choice is Blackberry for overall!!!
    Last edited by Peachykeen2007; Thu, Jul 24th, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
    heartgirl99 and toban like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have the Q10, which is premium version of the Q5.

Pros

Cons

Android?
    • Yes it runs some androids. Not perfect.
    • Bluetooth may not be available. Fitbit app works, but does not sync with device.
    • Apps that work.... wifi analyzer, gasbuddy, Google Maps, Maps w/ me
    • Apps that don't work... Telus Optik to Go, Expedia, DLink (screen too small)
    • Apps with compromises. Noom Walk resets whenever I sync. Whitecaps displays at half screen. GoPro is a half screen.
    • 1MobileMarket is great at letting me know there are updates... however updates will hang if the update requires access permissions. Snap will display the prompt.
    • Software update 10.3 offers more Android enhancements.... I'll update this post on Android issues when 10.3 is released later in the fall.

You're likely looking at the Q5 to save some money compared to the Q10. The Blackberry Passport and Classic coming in September will likely push down the Q5 & Q10 prices.
    • Passport offers larger screen with keyboard
    • Classic offers additional NavBelt and trackpad with BB10.
    Last edited by xlxo; Thu, Jul 24th, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
    Aslan, toban and John Foster like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for the help. I plan on looking at the Blackberry and iPhone in a few days. When I told a few people I'm considering a BB they looked at me funny." BB will be disappear, the company will fail" etc. Yet others seems to like BB. Just like others who love/loathe android and iPhones.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Having an iPad, an Android tablet and a Q10. I can see the advantages of each app product line. If apps are important to you, as well as a keyboard. I recommend waiting a few months to see how the Passport and 10.3 reviews works out.

The current Q5 keyboard and limited Android abilities may leave you dissappointed.

It's hard to say how long RIM/Blackberry will last. Comments by competitors don't help. For me, the physical keyboard is the big reason I continue to buy Blackberry models over and over again.
    Last edited by xlxo; Fri, Jul 25th, 2014 at 09:57 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I tried a Q5 today at a kiosk. It seemed fast (screen response). Keys are tiny but would probably get use to the keyboard. I may wait until Autumn and see what new phones come out. Toss between the BB and iPhone 5c. Also I need a phone that is not gigantic to hold.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I have a BB Z10 got it for $ 200 unlocked and directly from BB.

great phone.

Z30 , Q5 and Q10 are also apparently good.
    Peachykeen2007 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Coupon is still valid and takes $ 100 off. Enter the below cpn when you check out.

SAVE100BB148.

http://store.shopblackberry.com/stor...yus/en_CA/home

Prices after promo coupon :

Z10: $199
    Q10: $299

Works with all Canadian carriers including Wind Mobile and Mobilicity. Phones are already unlocked.

great phones , no need for expensive Iphones , Samsung Galaxy , Google Nexus etc.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought one prepaid. Tried it for 5 days and liked it. Unfortunately a few issues with the phone and I ended up returning it.
    Last edited by toban; Fri, Aug 1st, 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    I bought one prepaid. Tried it for 5 days and liked it. Unfortunately the back cover area was becoming too hot. Also the phone wasn't shutting off easily (I held the button down as per instructions). I returned it.
    That sucks krackerjack

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sibling got a BB unlocked from an online site. Likes the phone/texting but has the virtual keyboard. No idea why phone has no voice message option. What the heck is Call Standing? Wind Mobile is his network-edge of phone area so sibling has to be outside to make calls as part of local calling area. Cannot call out from basement-the altimeter indicates long distance rather than local call. Took about three days before he could get incoming calls then he heard the ringtone.

Would love to know if there is a settings option that can squelch the "ping" sound effect everytime he gets a text. I have nicknamed the phone Pingu after the claymation penguin.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Sibling got a BB unlocked from an online site. Likes the phone/texting but has the virtual keyboard. No idea why phone has no voice message option. What the heck is Call Standing? Wind Mobile is his network-edge of phone area so sibling has to be outside to make calls as part of local calling area. Cannot call out from basement-the altimeter indicates long distance rather than local call. Took about three days before he could get incoming calls then he heard the ringtone.

Would love to know if there is a settings option that can squelch the "ping" sound effect everytime he gets a text. I have nicknamed the phone Pingu after the claymation penguin.

go to settings
    select notifications
    select applications
    select text messages
    turn sound to 'off'

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i think iphone 5c or iphone6 is perfect smartphone. but it's too expensive for me, and i used the Blackview smartphone that i can offer it .

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Update... I returned the first Q5 because it seemed to get quite hot. Exchanged it for a new one. I have been using this phone almost 7 months now without any issues. I actually love the operating system. Texting is a breeze. Very happy with BB.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

seems that people either love or hate the bb.
    i love the physical keyboard and will probably stay with bb until the end.......
    Peachykeen2007 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information