User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SharonMe
  • 1 Post By dashingjames

Thread: Need windows replaced

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

I'm removing our carpets and noticed some water damage from our windows.
    So carpet removal has now become window replacement.

Any recommendations?
    What are the the costs of replacing a living room window?
    This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft
    secheltsaver likes this.
    The best things in life...aren't things

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It cost us $500 for replacing our window. I don't know how much it cost replacing there in Canada. I trusted my wife for hiring someone to come over and fix our window.
    SharonMe likes this.
    <style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>My way to storage and removals melbourne that will surely help me with my problems

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

$500 sounds reasonable. I wonder if the price goes up depending on the level as in ground or 2nd floor.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Not sure if you are still looking for a window replacement company but noticed you are in Toronto. We are in Toronto as well and got 7 windows replaced about 4 months ago.

We moved into a house a year ago and during the winter, the windows would fog up and the condensation would drip and puddle on the ledge. It was so bad we had to mop up the ledge / floor several times a day. They were old single pane windows and as soon as spring came, we replaced them.

The company we used was "Windows by Installers". Found them on Home Stars. We paid $2800 for all 7 windows. We were very happy with this company and will use them when the other windows in the house need replacing (probably not for 3-5 years).

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is this a South facing window? Consider one of those LowE glass that can keep out the heat.

Does the window face a noisy road? Consider triple pane. Going from single to double, I noticed my room is much quieter. Triple or Quad pane really keeps the noise out. Of course cost goes up.

Living room window? The larger the glass..... the higher the cost compared to other windows. Kinda like a TV set.
    Last edited by xlxo; Sat, Aug 23rd, 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Anyone who is having water come into their window frames,or excessive condensation should google "window frame weep holes".These are little drain holes built into the bottom track of vinyl and metal framed windows that allow excess water build up to drain to the outside of the building.They are easily plugged and need cleaning as part of doing your windows.A dollar store denture brush with the angled bristles on the tip is a great tool for doing tracks and weep holes,btw.I've done lots of move-out cleans on rental units,and it was a common problem,people just don't know about them.You should be able to pour water into the bottom edge of the frame and watch it drain to the outside if they're clear.Hope this saves anyone who reads it from dealing with rot and mildew

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Thanks for the replies.
    We did go ahead and choose a company. It won't be done for a couple of months though.
    It's more expensive than I planned but supposed to be life time warranty and transferable if we sell the house.
    Triple pane, lowE. The salesman mentioned the drain that gets plugged. Our old windows also has broken seals so the glass is cloudy all the time so they really need to be replaced. I will have to check out cleaning these drains. I haven't seen any more signs of water, fingers crossed.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think that there is no need of replacing the window, you just change the design of metal roof or modification in the roof makes get rid of this problem.
    Metal Roofing

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you really want to replace the window then you must take care that the metal roof design will not affected by it, however if it is necessary then you must take advice of metal roof expert.
    Metal Roofing

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

where do you live ? if in Montreal try V.E.R.A construction, veeeery good guys!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SharonMe View Post
    I'm removing our carpets and noticed some water damage from our windows.
    So carpet removal has now become window replacement.

Any recommendations?
    What are the the costs of replacing a living room window?
    Depending on how old your house is, you may qualify for a rebate or free! When we moved into our house it was only 5 years old and some of the windows had condensation, I checked the markings on the window and called the company and they replaced them all for free!! I paid $25.00 for the bay windows to have the plastic white trim put in between the 2 sided pain..even some windows that didn't have condensation they replaced!! I was told I got about $10,000 dollars worth of free windows!!

Thread Information