Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Decaf
  • 2 Post By FallenPixels
  • 2 Post By FallenPixels

Thread: office war

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OMG. What has happened at my workplace bothers me. !! Please help!! Recently, my Supervisor put an Ad out to hire an assistant supervisor working from Tuesday to Saturday. This assistant supervisor position does a little bit of supervisor work and a little bit of staff work. I am a staff. So, my supervisor hired someone, and now this woman talked to the manager (who is above my supervisor) and somehow the manager asked the supervisor to change her schedule to Monday to Friday instead. I work on Mondays, so now I have to lose my Monday. I am so upset. My supervisor informed me about the change, but I feel like I should go talk to the manager about this. Why did this woman take the position if she doesn't want to work on Saturdays? I feel that it is not fair to take the job and then come on board and make someone lose their shift, so she can work Monday to Friday?

Please help!! What do you think I should do?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Sun, Sep 28th, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Talk to your supervisor first, explain the new schedule will not work out for you and take it from there.
    Last edited by Decaf; Sun, Sep 28th, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
    pippinelkhound and seylz_gurl like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Talk to your supervisor first, explain the new schedule will not work out for you and take it from there.
    But during the meeting, my supervisor said the manager wants the assistant supervisor to work Monday to Friday, so isn't my supervisor saying that it was the Manager's initiative for the change, not hers? So, in that case, shouldn't I just go to the Manager?
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I would only go to the manager if you want to annoy both your supervisor and the assistant

As a middle manager, it drives me crazy when people go to my boss and waste his time on stuff I can do or when they come to me for stuff that doesn't need my time. Supervisors are set up for a reason.

Are they taking away one day from you completely or asking you to work Saturdays in place of the new person? Are you unionized? In which case do you have seniority rules in place?

I am with Decaf, explain to the supervisor and ask them to take it up with the manager. I am not sure where you live but if your hours were reduced, there could also be labour law issues too in which case the local Ministry of Labour should have a helpline you can call and ask
    pippinelkhound and tobiwobi like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I would only go to the manager if you want to annoy both your supervisor and the assistant

As a middle manager, it drives me crazy when people go to my boss and waste his time on stuff I can do or when they come to me for stuff that doesn't need my time. Supervisors are set up for a reason.

Are they taking away one day from you completely or asking you to work Saturdays in place of the new person? Are you unionized? In which case do you have seniority rules in place?

I am with Decaf, explain to the supervisor and ask them to take it up with the manager. I am not sure where you live but if your hours were reduced, there could also be labour law issues too in which case the local Ministry of Labour should have a helpline you can call and ask
    Yes, they are taking a day from me completely, and give the Saturday to someone else because I am working on another shift on Saturdays. No, we are not unionized, so I can't go to the union.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

If they are taking a day from you, it is a change in your working hours and therefore contract (even if you dont have an actual contract, regular working hours can assume one for legal reasons).

Depending on province / number of employees / type of company it may be seen as a partial layoff in which case hiring a new employee to do your work would get them into trouble

Generally it is not something they can do without you agreeing to the terms of such and it could be considered constructive dismissal if you feel it is impossible to work on less hours there. Again depends on the reason, number of employees, why they chose you and not someone else to reduce hours

Speak to your supervisor (do you have a HR person? them too) and see if your local Labour Board has an advice line. Usually you can get a self help kit answering most questions or speak to someone for free for a certain amount of time.
    GoddessDigi and luckbealady like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Are you a permanent employee? A temp employee? A shift worker? If say when they hire you, you were told to work 40 hours per week Monday to Friday, then they can't just suddenly change your schedule or reduce your hour. Even changing shift would result in pay adjustment. Be calm but firm when you discuss your schedule with your supervisor, don't show resentment or accusation (new AM is buddy buddy with the manager ect.)

Without knowing the detail I can't tell if you're protected or not by labour law.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am a permanent part time staff. She did give me 2 weeks notice, and offered to give me training on other positions of the same level, so I can pick up some casual shifts from other positions in addition to the reduced hours part time position. I am still thinking if I should go to talk to her, or just forget it and contine with what she wants and look for another job. She made it sound like it was part of the operational requirement to have the assistant supervisor to work weekdays. I am frustrated because I don't see how it is part of operational requirement, but I am sure she can come up with excuses to get what she wants. She has a history of giving people who she doesn't favour a hard time, everyone knows. I agree with fallenpixels that if I go to the manager both the supervisor and assistant will be annoyed. Another problem is I am in such a small industry where everyone knows everyone (other company managers and supervisors knows my manager and supervisors), and I kind of don't want to cause tensions. After some thought, I think the wiser choice for me would be to look for another job. What do you think? I will call the labour borad too just to see what they think.
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Mon, Sep 29th, 2014 at 02:49 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

do not expect HR to help you, they are always on the managers side
    as a permanent part-time worker, they can change your shift as long as they give you 2 weeks notice
    i doubt if you can challenge the supervisor/management decision
    if you like your job, keep it and if not look for another job.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    do not expect HR to help you, they are always on the managers side
    as a permanent part-time worker, they can change your shift as long as they give you 2 weeks notice
    i doubt if you can challenge the supervisor/management decision
    if you like your job, keep it and if not look for another job.
    I totally agree. I have seen where people go to HR and it backfires them big time because most companies hire the HR to help their manager, so the HR's jobs is actually to assists the managar or people in management with HR issues, they are not court judges, they don't put things on the balance scale and weight it and make a fair decision and then decide on which site they are on. They are going to be on the side that they are hired to be on; they want to keep their job you know.
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

HR with us are very helpful with employees, they go out of their way to help people
    Their job is to ensure rules are followed etc and they are employed by the company, but most HR people get into the field because they are interested in employee relations

Besides, employment rules in these cases will usually side with the longer term employee, you can't replace their hours without cause, it can be seen as a dismissal. The HR person's job is to protect the employer who may be sued if this is the case.
    ~ ~ ~

Thread Information