User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree372Likes

Thread: could you give up ALL sugar for a year?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

@walkonby

May I suggest just stopping buying stuff that has a label. Stick to meats, veg, fruit, dairy(if u can)and nuts. The only sweetener I tend to use is stevia however if u choose to stay away from agave(bunch of baloney hype imo)and use honey. I follow a ketogenic diet however honey I believe is ok on Paleo.
    macw1960, dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Thanks for your comment Andit, I just wish it were that simple as saying moderation is the key. It no longer is because of the way sugar is added into almost everything, it is intentionally hidden in things we never expect would or should have any sweetness to them. Disregard the idea of dessert altogether, that is a whole nuther thing.
    Just eating what most of us consider healthy diets taking in all the products that never used to have higher sugar content in them, but now they are saturated with it.
    Is it possible people go by the old standard of " well I used to eat this growing up so it is fine " But by not reading labels these days and doing some good old fashioned checking on just how much we are ingesting that is the message I want to pass on.

It infuriates me to no end that when we shop we are being tricked, duped and fed addictive additives like excess sugar when all we are trying to do is make healthy informed selections. It should not be that deceptive, but I feel deceived.

As many of you do I try to shop the perimeter of the store, doing fresh veg, fruits, and some meat, dairy. The middle aisles with processed foods are blood pressure zones for me! lol. I do go there for the kids stuff like cereal and truth be told some things like Tostito chips which are gf, but ugh! made with GMO corn that is another gripe for another day.

I know fretting over things like this is unhealthy in itself, so I will try not harping about sugar too much. Just wanted to get some of your opinions or experiences if any of you have ever tried consciously to give sugar up or reduce it?
    Quote Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
    @walkonby

May I suggest just stopping buying stuff that has a label. Stick to meats, veg, fruit, dairy(if u can)and nuts. The only sweetener I tend to use is stevia however if u choose to stay away from agave(bunch of baloney hype imo)and use honey. I follow a ketogenic diet however honey I believe is ok on Paleo.
    ty @momof3heathens , early in this thread I did mention that was how I was shopping. The perimeter of the stores. Trying to stay away from as many processed items altogether. Old ( and bad ) habits do die hard and in the past year I have let some things creep back into the house.
    I swear by Stevia, never used agave ever??

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

macw1960, walkonby, dededi and 1 others like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

yes!! I remember the fructose part about it now....I must have watched a Dr Oz episode maybe....ha ha I used to see it in the Bulk Barn where all the sweeteners were and almost considered trying it, glad I didn't now.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

This has turned into a very informative thread as I am learning lots of new things.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

First thin is to eat 3 savory meals a day, and get all the sweet crap off your plate - no sugar-sweet salad dressings (use oil & vinegar) bbq sauce and VH sauces (use herbs & spices). Meals should be savoury not sweet! And don't fall back on making everything cheese-flavour either, because cheese is loaded with fat.

Everything else is a snack, and don't load up with a cornucopia of choices. If you like salty snacks pick one thing and buy that one thing all the time, e.g., always buy bbq chips and never all the rest of the tortillas, cheetos, other flavours etc. Monotony brings boredom and if bbq chips are your favourite and you're sick of them from over exposure, that's only a good thing. Do the same thing with dairy treats (ice cream, yogurt, pudding) and bakery goods (any cookies, granola bars and sweet bakery). Buy the smallest variety you can and always stick to one exact product if you can. Then make additional rules to keep it out of the house like you will only buy a bag of chips worth less than $1, so if you happen to be at Dollar Tree...no chips for you!
    macw1960, walkonby, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    First thin is to eat 3 savory meals a day, and get all the sweet crap off your plate - no sugar-sweet salad dressings (use oil & vinegar) bbq sauce and VH sauces (use herbs & spices). Meals should be savoury not sweet! And don't fall back on making everything cheese-flavour either, because cheese is loaded with fat.

Everything else is a snack, and don't load up with a cornucopia of choices. If you like salty snacks pick one thing and buy that one thing all the time, e.g., always buy bbq chips and never all the rest of the tortillas, cheetos, other flavours etc. Monotony brings boredom and if bbq chips are your favourite and you're sick of them from over exposure, that's only a good thing. Do the same thing with dairy treats (ice cream, yogurt, pudding) and bakery goods (any cookies, granola bars and sweet bakery). Buy the smallest variety you can and always stick to one exact product if you can. Then make additional rules to keep it out of the house like you will only buy a bag of chips worth less than $1, so if you happen to be at Dollar Tree...no chips for you!
    some very good suggestions lecale.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

It is hard right now with Christmas to give up sugar but hubby made me a tea on Sunday, put sugar in it, it tasted gross to me so I dumped it and made anther one. I only have one partial box of cereal to finish and then that is it for cereal in the house.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

All sugary cereal has been consumed rather than dumped and now the only cereal in the house is Shredded Wheat.
    lecale and walkonby like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    All sugary cereal has been consumed rather than dumped and now the only cereal in the house is Shredded Wheat.
    The only thing I have is special k red berries and it tastes like cardboard with sour chips and it is still 7g sugar/serving....but at least I'm leaving it alone
    macw1960 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@macw1960 congrats on ridding the home of bad cereals!! and @lecale ....ha ha LOVE the cardboard with sour chips description!
    I cannot remember the last time I ate dry cereal? ( I can't stomach milk or fake milk anymore ) but I have bought plenty of the plain Cheerios for DH, Sugar Crisp, Raisin Bran, Corn Pops, frosted Flakes and the like for DS and the odd freebie of something with dark chocolate and cranberries in it for DD. I will stick with my 1/4 c dry measure serving of large flake oatmeal nuked with cinnamon, few grains of pure Stevia and berries, it stays with me and squashes hunger pangs for hours!
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @macw1960 congrats on ridding the home of bad cereals!! and @lecale ....ha ha LOVE the cardboard with sour chips description!
    I cannot remember the last time I ate dry cereal? ( I can't stomach milk or fake milk anymore ) but I have bought plenty of the plain Cheerios for DH, Sugar Crisp, Raisin Bran, Corn Pops, frosted Flakes and the like for DS and the odd freebie of something with dark chocolate and cranberries in it for DD. I will stick with my 1/4 c dry measure serving of large flake oatmeal nuked with cinnamon, few grains of pure Stevia and berries, it stays with me and squashes hunger pangs for hours!

Oatmeal in the cupboard here too...have to try cinnamon in it next time.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Another gradual step in the right direction as the last jar of Kraft PB was finished last night and it only took over 3 months. Thanks to WOB Blue Menu PB will be in our cupboard from now on as it has no sugar.
    Last edited by macw1960; Wed, Apr 13th, 2016 at 02:17 PM.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Cinnamon adds more flavor to my cereal now too.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Another gradual step in the right direction as the last jar of Kraft PB was finished last night and it only took over 3 months. Thanks to WOB Blue Menu PB will be in our cupboard from now on as it has no sugar.
    Cinnamon adds more flavor to my cereal now too.
    you're very welcome @macw1960 I only saw these 2 posts of yours now, sorry.
    We had to buy a few more jars of the Blue Menu PB now because DD is hooked on it and now she realizes ( FINALLY ) how horrid the other PB tastes with all the added sugar and salt in it. We still have about 5 jars of regular PB left in the stockpile but DS will be eating them up with no problem, he is oblivious to the whole sugar/salt debate.....ha ha.
    Newfiescreech and macw1960 like this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information