User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: "Smart people buy generic brands"

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Horndogg View Post
    for some things "no name" are fine, but NOT Heinz Ketchup and Kraft Miracle Whip
    Many generic tp brands aren't as effective as brand names either. Let's face it who wants crunchy tp you can put your finger through and get less on the roll so you use more? Thumbs down!
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Interesting perspectives, for sure.....our doc also stipulates no generic, which I feel pretty good about since he has more experience along those lines than I do....There are two things which I will never buy the generic brand: French's mustard and Heinz ketchup, like Horndogg. I've never purchased a substitute for Miracle Whip, since we pick it up when it's on sale. We buy low dose generic aspirin, since we each take one daily and the singular ingredient that's important is identical...I'd never debate the point with my chemist hubby...
    I'm trying to think of other items I won't compromise on.....Hm. Nope, nothing else comes to mind....Oh! Except that I avoid buying items made in China...which sometimes take quite a bit of detective work.

As for couponing, I don't come across as many of them around here as I read many of you do, and we're lucky to see a Red Plum unless it's in the fruit aisle of a grocery store.
    Zonny, Ciel, torontogal12 and 1 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

The majority of store brands tend to be made in the same factories and with the same ingredients asbraded goods but with slightly lower quality control standards.
    Lynn49, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I will only buy Kraft Cheese Whiz too
    Natalka, Lynn49, Ciel and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Thanks for the article, Lynn.

For most things, this rings true. But for some, I`m not so sure. I have to take Aspirin every day. Even tho it can cost considerably more than the generic kind, I just don`t feel comfortable with the store brands (the Aspirin doesn`t irritate my other meds, so I`m not about to rock the boat ).

The one thing I could never get used to were the no-name colas. To my palate, the taste was not a pleasant experience, I`d sooner go without.

As for everything else, whatever has the best price is the way to go.
    Advil Cold &Sinus is the only one works for my cold, I've tried other brand name and no name. Different stroke for different folks I guess.
    Ciel and momi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmieT View Post
    Advil Cold &Sinus is the only one works for my cold, I've tried other brand name and no name. Different stroke for different folks I guess.
    I get sinus headaches sometimes. I've tried a generic cold/sinus from Costco, didn't work at all! Back to the name brand for that one.
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

The article referred to store brands of items that don't have a recipe, like meds and sugar.

I buy store brand of meds all the time. They are the same ingredients, and I have found they work the same. My prescription medication for migraines is now generic brand too. The patent ran out a few years ago, and the pharmacy automatically gives me a generic one. I have had three different generic ones, and they all work as effectively as the original brand I was using. If the active ingredients are the same, provided the person doesn't have some type of reaction to the non-active ingredients, for most, generic will work.

There are some differences in flour or sugar. There is one brand of brown sugar that I don't buy, because dh and I don't like the flavour of it. I thought all sugar was the same, but difference there. Don't care about white sugar though. Whole wheat flour is something I wonder about. Different brands show different fibre content. I don't know if they are reporting it differently, or if the product is different. But I've bought the store brand at Food Basics, and liked it just as much at the Robin Hood whole wheat. But with coupons, and buying large bags and good sales, I've had better deals with the Robin Hood (I use a lot of flour, so big bags worth it for me).

But stuff like crackers, cereal, pb, cheese, those will all be different between brand name and not, because the recipes vary. So there it is a taste preference. But the NoName cottage cheese is really Nordica. There is a code on the package that shows that. And I think NoName butter is Gay Lea too, but not 100% sure.
    Ciel and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    But the NoName cottage cheese is really Nordica. There is a code on the package that shows that. And I think NoName butter is Gay Lea too, but not 100% sure.
    Can you show us how to understand the code? How do you know?
    Insane, Ciel, Mia and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Horndogg View Post
    for some things "no name" are fine, but NOT Heinz Ketchup and Kraft Miracle Whip

I agree! And the same goes for Philly cream cheese.
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cool!
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

there are some things which I have no issue with store brand... Nut some products are worth the extra money for... I notice a taste difference' texture difference, quality difference..I would never buy store brand coffee for example (well unless it was Costco store brand) I would not buy store brand shampoo
    Ciel and Mia like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It slays me how some people still believe that one brand of gasoline is better than another. Regular grade gasoline has to meet motor manufacturer's specs no matter what company refines it. In the old days the various companies traded gasoline so if company A's refinery was closer to market X and company B's refinery was closer to market y then company A would supply both company's stations in market X and ... you get the idea. Don't know if that still happens but wouldn't be surprised if it does. Am a confirmed price shopper when it comes to gas. It's a commodity. It is true that higher octane gas reduces engine knock (pre-ignition) but your car company will tell you if your particular engine needs it. If it doesn't and you buy it anyway, you have too much money.
    Ciel likes this.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

I don't quite agree that store brands have lower quality standards. Maybe some of them but not all, e.g., Kirkland from Costco definitely has one of the highest quality standards in the market. I have never met any Kirkland item with low quality.

There are store brand products which are really even better. E.g., No Name chips. Yes! Better than Lays! They taste lighter, and not as much oily as Lays. And so cheap, $1, no worries in coupons finding needed. And also we love Irresistable pretzels (which are sold for 99 cents at Food Basics but about $2 (same size, same taste) at Metro). And Blue Menu from PC popcorns... Very cheap and indeed are better than Orville.

But still not all store brands have the same or better quality than brand name products (again except Kirkland). But it depends not only on quality but also what you personally expect from a product. E.g., if you like really oily chips then Lays will be better choice for you, etc...
    Last edited by Mia; Thu, Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
    Ciel likes this.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Generic brands can work in a pinch in some cases. As a few SCers have stated, we have certain brand preferences for some groceries or medicines that have to be brand name or go without.

Sinus medicine-has to be brand name. Two generics did nothing for me.
    Ketchup-Heinz regular or forget it.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetmomma View Post
    Many generic tp brands aren't as effective as brand names either. Let's face it who wants crunchy tp you can put your finger through and get less on the roll so you use more? Thumbs down!
    White Swan 1-ply bathroom tissue that has a wrap around each roll-when I see it come in from someone's Costco run, I want to know which store has 2ply rolls on sale.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information