User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: "Smart people buy generic brands"

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I just came across this and thought you may find it interesting...

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/25/news...l?iid=obinsite
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The title is true, but only to an extent.

Sale prices and coupons can make brand-name WAY cheaper than store brand, like yesterday when I picked up Scope for under a buck with a sale and coupon, or I would have had to pay $3 for the store brand of the same thing.

For the average consumer, though, generic products are the way to go. They're virtually identical to national brands and cost less. People are just stuck buying brands because that's what their parents bought, or because they perceive brands to be better quality when that isn't true at all.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Store brands can be good some of the time, but not all.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Good to see what the experts would buy. But what an awful headline.

"Smart people" or "experts?"

Yeesh
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Lynn I have bought generic Ibuprofen tablets for DH instead of Advil for years now, he insisted when he saw the price difference.
    I do agree with Chantel about pairing a great sale with a coupon that can make the Brand name cheaper, often free, but these days the coupons are-a-dwindling and restricting so nice that the generic option is there.
    I've had Great Value ( WM), Irresistibles ( Metro), No Name, Presidents's Choice ( RCSS, No Frills, Loblaws ) and Selection ( Food Basics) brands of various canned items in my cupboards all because they had the lower price than the brand name.
    Andit, scbpooh, Natalka and 7 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Good to see what the experts would buy. But what an awful headline.

"Smart people" or "experts?"

Yeesh
    The subject line was taken directly from the article: it's not mine.

Absolutely couponing can bring prices down...IF you can find them and have the time to search them out....smaller towns simply don't have opportunities that larger cities have regarding the availability of coupons and price-matching.....each to their own!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sun, Aug 10th, 2014 at 01:07 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sorry, didn't mean for you to think it was directed at you.I think it's a bad headline on their part.

I agree that brand names can be cheaper with coupons. But I often buy generic cookies, taco shells, eggs, beans, grains (like rice, quinoa), ethnic frozen stuff (generic samosas are delicious). Generic Aleve. Irresistibles juice from Metro is comparable to Oasis or Tropicana. Their Alla Vodka pasta sauce is pretty good too (coming from an Italian person who only eats homemade sauce when it comes to plain tomato and basil).

Flour and other baking stuff, I just buy whatever is in the bin at Bulk Barn hahah.

For me, also, if the price difference between name brand and generic is only a few cents,I will compare the nutrition info and get whichever is the healthier one

Here's an article about what chefs buy generic
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/...rs-buy-generic

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    The subject line was taken directly from the article: it's not mine.

Absolutely couponing can bring prices down...IF you can find them and have the time to search them out....smaller towns simply don't have opportunities that larger cities have regarding the availability of coupons and price-matching.....each to their own!
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Aug 10th, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Thanks for the article, Lynn.

For most things, this rings true. But for some, I`m not so sure. I have to take Aspirin every day. Even tho it can cost considerably more than the generic kind, I just don`t feel comfortable with the store brands (the Aspirin doesn`t irritate my other meds, so I`m not about to rock the boat ).

The one thing I could never get used to were the no-name colas. To my palate, the taste was not a pleasant experience, I`d sooner go without.

As for everything else, whatever has the best price is the way to go.
    avoncallingu, Lynn49, Ciel and 7 others like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks Lynne49.
    We just bought No Name spaghetti with marinara sauce.
    Tasty.
    Low fat, low sodium. low sugar and has fiber.
    We just add some No Name macedonian style frozen veggies to make it more nutritious

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My doc doesn't like prescribing generic meds, normally puts on the prescription that there's no substitutions, apparently she's seen ungood things with some generic drugs.

When DS was a baby, Pampers were always cheaper than store brand because of sales and coupons, but that was at least six years since I bought those.

I do buy generic Advil at Costco, works fine. Basic things like beans, I'll buy no name brand. Soup, no, never much liked those as much.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Lynn I have bought generic Ibuprofen tablets for DH instead of Advil for years now, he insisted when he saw the price difference.
    My sister is the opposite. She refuses to use anything but brand-name Advil (not even Motrin is okay!) because she's convinced it doesn't work for her. I've asked pharmacists, and they tell me it's the same active ingredient, just often a different combination of fillers.

It drives me crazy to blow $10 on Advil when I could get twice as much store brand for less.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

for some things "no name" are fine, but NOT Heinz Ketchup and Kraft Miracle Whip
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    My sister is the opposite. She refuses to use anything but brand-name Advil (not even Motrin is okay!) because she's convinced it doesn't work for her. I've asked pharmacists, and they tell me it's the same active ingredient, just often a different combination of fillers.

It drives me crazy to blow $10 on Advil when I could get twice as much store brand for less.
    I am with her, Advil is one of the few things I will pay for - I take it as I feel a migraine coming on and generic has never helped. Maybe the fillers just help it work differently, bc other generic meds are fine

I personally find most brand names can be stocked up on when cheap, but some generics are just as good or better
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I've never noticed the difference in contact lens solution and I usually get the Walmart type.

As others have mentioned it depends on the generic brand. I like the Meto banner store brand and Sobey's is decent as well.

Yellow No Name I find to be much lower quality.

PC I almost consider a national brand.

Since I have been using coupons though I find I can very often get the national brand items for cheaper combining sales and coupons.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Lynn, you've always making us think! Thanks!
    Zonny, Lynn49, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information