User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Very bad couponing day for me. So angry right now.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Target rant:
    So what happened today is...

i went to target to buy maybelline mascara with $2.00 manu coupon and two $1.00 off target coupons. The cashier scanned the mascaras, scanned manufacturer coupon, scans the two target coupins, my total is $3.xx. She asked me to use my $5.00 gc right away for that transaction and i happily said sure, why not! So.....here comes the nasty part.... The system didn't return the remaining amount on the gift card. The receipt said $0.00 to be returned because the gc was not supposed to be used in this transaction or blah blah. So i asked her why had she asked me to use the gc if i couldnt use the gc in that transaction. So she asks for some other dashier's help. The other cashier told her that she was wrong to use that gc and we could just return these mascaras and buy them again. She(other cashier) gave me my coupons back and took me to the returns/exchange counter and returned those mascaras. I buy them again, give my coupons and all of a sudden she says she cant take two target coupons in this transaction because the coupon says "one offer per guest" ??? What??.?? Ok. Fine. Just scan 1 target and my manufacturer coupon, somehow the system doesnt accept the coupon or IDK what was their problem....the total after my coupons and target debit was $5.12. My total should've been less than $5.00 but somehow the system was creating problems. So we returned them again, bought them again, same problem, cashier very confused, wanted to help me get my gc and mascaras, asks for help from another cashier and now THIS cashier says that since my total after coupons is less than $5.00 so thats why the system is creating problems... WTH? She says i cant use coupons because it is already a good deal. (I wanted to pull my hair at that point) i told her that coupons are supposed to bring down the total so that we have to pay the minimum posdible amount. i keep asking for the fine print in flyer where it says we cant use coupons on a very awesome deal. She says its not written but it is supposed to be like this. Really? WTH is wrong with these people making up their own policies? So after about half an hour i left target without any mascara.

sdm rant:

now that my target gave me a very hard time for using the coupons, i decided i would ask sdm store manager how many coupons they could accept in one transaction before picking up stuff from the shelves. I had 7 $1.00 off any crest toothpaste, 6 $1.50 off any crest 3d white toothpaste, 1 $1.50 off any two kellogs cereal, one sdm coupon ($20.00 wus $75.00 or more). I spoke to the supervisor, he reads crest coupon and says the coupon says "one coupon per PURCHASE" so i can use only one coupon. Per purchase, ( can someone please tell me the difference between "per purchase" and "per transaction". Maybe i am wrong thinking that each item i am purchasing in one transaction, i can use seperate coupons for all those items. Right or not?
    I asked him how many coupons he could allow me for now, and he said he could allow me to use only three coupons for now. Ughhhhhhh! So i thought i can buy some other important stuff and buy three toothpastes in that transaction but then all of a sudden i saw the flyer dates. Oh God! Today was saturday and i wanted to buy coke and dorritos at the sunday/monday special sale. So i thought i could come back tomorrow but after leaving sdm i told the supervisor that i am coming tomorrow to buy three crest, three 3d white crest and some other stuff with the coupons. He said ok but you can use only three coupons in one day. Whattttttt???
    Now where did THAT policy come from? Who says that i can use only three (different) coupons in one transaction? Now idk whats going to happen tomorrow. Please pray for me!

Wow. Today was a very bad couponing day for me. It was my first bad couponing experience and i just wanted to pull my hair all day explaining coupon policies to the cashiers. A*s*s*h*o*l*e*s!
    This thread is currently associated with: Maybelline, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart, Target

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

At times I have a feeling that cashiers feel they are obligating us by using coupons and doing price match.... They come up with weird policy.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Oh amira, sorry you had so much trouble, you know some days are like that...now here is what you do...you know like in the wild you do not show fear...the same when couponing..

Now Target, I ran into a few cashiers too told me something like this: (I feel like telling you this even though it has no truth or merrit)... You hae to get to know the staff and I had read as well that members are being offered the option to use GC on transaction. Unless your cashier is an expert and some are at McGivering their systems... Go with a straight no fail, no thank you..It's all experience...it sucks but sometimes the planets do not allign and you are stuck in a Twilight Zone. Nothing you can do except leave and hope that the next time it will be okay...not just Target,. my husband hates Target because there is always an issue when he comes with me. Trying to explain to cashier, CSM and calm down my husband...yuck...Other members might have some better advice with more experience at Target but just call and speak to CSM and did you get the names of idiots you spoke to to ensure you are not speaking to same idiots, if not call Monday...maybe new CSM.

SDM, same situation...but dont ask...just do...(one per purchase is always (per unit), item)
    ~one per transaction is when you pay (only one allowed in that paid "haul" for lack of a better word-even if just 2 items..so when that happens seperate transactions.
    ~SDM does not have a limit of coupons at all....EXCEPT if you are doing like what MOMI so graciously tought us about the offers thatwe get in emails - those have to be done one of that item in one Paid haul..example: you have a coupon for B1G1 for butter, got that a few weeks ago..so that coupon I printed about 10 times BUT use 1 B1G1 Butter coupon and other things if you have any..pay. Next transaction use 2nd B1G1 free butter and other stuff or not and pay, and so on and so on. Now example:if you have an SDM offer with 1.00 off Dove and you have a manufacture coupon or manufacture print you can use both on your DOVE item but again that SDM 1.00 off has to be seperate transactons..like before..as many times as you want, like MOMI trained us. I hope this helps.

When I have a doubt in my mind that I might be wrong I will back-off but honey if I am right, do not poke the bear. And in a polite yet confident way you explain that their interpretation is not correct. Have a print-out with you/in your binder so you can refer to it. I always have mine in my binder because this happens often. Momi will most likely answer your questions better. Sometimes even with all the answers a twilight zone is a twilight zone. The key is you know what you are doing and talking about and often they stop trying to prove their point and do it the way you are supposed to. Calling HQ is what I always say so they can rectify the situation. Sorry again you experienced this...we've all been there and it will happen again, no doubt.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Sun, Aug 17th, 2014 at 05:57 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post
    Oh amira, sorry you had so much trouble, you know some days are like that...now here is what you do...you know like in the wild you do not show fear...the same when couponing..

Now Target, I ran into a few cashiers too told me something like this: (I feel like telling you this even though it has no truth or merrit)... You hae to get to know the staff and I had read as well that members are being offered the option to use GC on transaction. Unless your cashier is an expert and some are at McGivering their systems... Go with a straight no fail, no thank you..It's all experience...it sucks but sometimes the planets do not allign and you are stuck in a Twilight Zone. Nothing you can do except leave and hope that the next time it will be okay...not just Target,. my husband hates Target because there is always an issue when he comes with me. Trying to explain to cashier, CSM and calm down my husband...yuck...Other members might have some better advice with more experience at Target but just call and speak to CSM and did you get the names of idiots you spoke to to ensure you are not speaking to same idiots, if not call Monday...maybe new CSM.

SDM, same situation...but dont ask...just do...(one per purchase is always (per unit), item)
    ~one per transaction is when you pay (only one allowed in that paid "haul" for lack of a better word-even if just 2 items..so when that happens seperate transactions.
    ~SDM does not have a limit of coupons at all....EXCEPT if you are doing like what MOMI so graciously tought us about the offers thatwe get in emails - those have to be done one of that item in one Paid haul..example: you have a coupon for B1G1 for butter, got that a few weeks ago..so that coupon I printed about 10 times BUT use 1 B1G1 Butter coupon and other things if you have any..pay. Next transaction use 2nd B1G1 free butter and other stuff or not and pay, and so on and so on. Now example:if you have an SDM offer with 1.00 off Dove and you have a manufacture coupon or manufacture print you can use both on your DOVE item but again that SDM 1.00 off has to be seperate transactons..like before..as many times as you want, like MOMI trained us. I hope this helps.

When I have a doubt in my mind that I might be wrong I will back-off but honey if I am right, do not poke the bear. And in a polite yet confident way you explain that their interpretation is not correct. Have a print-out with you/in your binder so you can refer to it. I always have mine in my binder because this happens often. Momi will most likely answer your questions better. Sometimes even with all the answers a twilight zone is a twilight zone. The key is you know what you are doing and talking about and often they stop trying to prove their point and do it the way you are supposed to. Calling HQ is what I always say so they can rectify the situation. Sorry again you experienced this...we've all been there and it will happen again, no doubt.

1: thank you soooo much ascarandme for your kind reply. I really needed someone to give me a shoulder.

The worst part yesterday was that my husband was with me. He doesnt like when i am using coupons so he just went to electronics section when i was paying for the mascara. Long story short, i had a very angry husband yesterday, and i was soo angry at both the stores that i wanted to sue the crap out of them.

Well.....i was (abd i still am) so angry and disappointed that i dont even want to go for shopping at sdm today. But your post has gave me encouragement to try.

Let's see what happens today.

2: do you the link to sdm coupon policy? Last night i tried so hard to find it on sdm website but couldnt find it. I think having a print out of their policies and teaching them right at the till is the only way to go!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lp11 View Post
    oh thank you so much lp11. I read every word in that guideline and oh WTH did they write at the end? Coupon acceptance is at the discretion of their store? Does that mean that i cant even fight for my right to use as many coupons as i want? They can say no whenever they want and they are entitled to do so?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

you said it amira84.....that store now " knows " your face, and NOW they might remember that you attempted to save money there ( I meant this as a joke ) next time you come in. Sadly, yes, they can call the shots about how they at their store wish to allow coupons to be used. For SDM I might explain what occurred at SDM HO about the 1 per purchase nonsense. You still may be able to salvage a half decent response from them and maybe a GC for your trouble, worth a try??

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    1: thank you soooo much ascarandme for your kind reply. I really needed someone to give me a shoulder.

The worst part yesterday was that my husband was with me. He doesnt like when i am using coupons so he just went to electronics section when i was paying for the mascara. Long story short, i had a very angry husband yesterday, and i was soo angry at both the stores that i wanted to sue the crap out of them.

Well.....i was (abd i still am) so angry and disappointed that i dont even want to go for shopping at sdm today. But your post has gave me encouragement to try.

Let's see what happens today.

2: do you the link to sdm coupon policy? Last night i tried so hard to find it on sdm website but couldnt find it. I think having a print out of their policies and teaching them right at the till is the only way to go!
    Amira,
    I also don't go with my husband when I wanted to use lots of coupons,price match etc etc...
    He is also an angry man....while we go together he drpd me to the store and wait for me in the car or sometimes,he come back to pick me up,I tell him exactly what time I will there at this location.
    And about target...
    I will like to say you made a mistake in your first transaction,
    You were just buying mascara,mascara was $3.50 so if you buy 2 they are for $7-5 gift card=$2-2 target coupon is zero.
    So if you were buying some other stuff then the system could allow to use you manufacturer coupon but if you are not buying some other stuff system will nit allow you to use manufacturer coupon or if you wish to use the manufacturer coupon ,it will reduce the discount(GC amount).
    So when I go to target I keep theses things in my mind.
    2) Sdm
    There is nothing like that one per purchase means,one per transaction,unless it says one per customer.
    And the store can put the limit of 4 of same coupons.
    In the beginning I also had the same problem at my Sdm and with the same crest coupon about a year ago,and the cashier told me the same thing that one ore purchase means one per transaction,then I made a complain to HO,the HO directly contacted the store and then store manager called me,apologized about all the hassle I gone through,after that day he told me about coupons and promotions if I have any concerns,I should directly talk to him or should call the supervisor because usually the young cashiers at Sdm don't know about couponing and promotions.I think you should also contact HO,explain all the situation.
    Hope it will help.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    you said it amira84.....that store now " knows " your face, and NOW they might remember that you attempted to save money there ( I meant this as a joke ) next time you come in. Sadly, yes, they can call the shots about how they at their store wish to allow coupons to be used. For SDM I might explain what occurred at SDM HO about the 1 per purchase nonsense. You still may be able to salvage a half decent response from them and maybe a GC for your trouble, worth a try??

thanks for your reply walkonby. I called the HO after coming back from sdm but their office was closed and today is Sunday so they are closed. I am,for sure, going to call the HO and tell them that there is no law keeping me from shopping at sdm, i AM going to shop there and collect points, redeem at the HIGHEST level to score more FREE stuff from sdm AND use coupons to get maximum savings. But i am so sick of going to sdm, filling up my cart and coming gack home empty handed because of their stupid ignorant cashiers who don't even know the difference between "per purchase" and "per transaction". Let's see what the HO says tomorrow.

i am going to another sdm in town (actually different town but our towns are so small that i consider them one town.) and try to buy stuff.

the problem is that i can easily go to walmart, price match with sdm flyer and buy stuff with coupons but i am not going to earn any points on that transaction. So sdm is the only option for me right now.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momi View Post
    Amira,
    I also don't go with my husband when I wanted to use lots of coupons,price match etc etc...
    He is also an angry man....while we go together he drpd me to the store and wait for me in the car or sometimes,he come back to pick me up,I tell him exactly what time I will there at this location.
    And about target...
    I will like to say you made a mistake in your first transaction,
    You were just buying mascara,mascara was $3.50 so if you buy 2 they are for $7-5 gift card=$2-2 target coupon is zero.
    So if you were buying some other stuff then the system could allow to use you manufacturer coupon but if you are not buying some other stuff system will nit allow you to use manufacturer coupon or if you wish to use the manufacturer coupon ,it will reduce the discount(GC amount).
    So when I go to target I keep theses things in my mind.
    2) Sdm
    There is nothing like that one per purchase means,one per transaction,unless it says one per customer.
    And the store can put the limit of 4 of same coupons.
    In the beginning I also had the same problem at my Sdm and with the same crest coupon about a year ago,and the cashier told me the same thing that one ore purchase means one per transaction,then I made a complain to HO,the HO directly contacted the store and then store manager called me,apologized about all the hassle I gone through,after that day he told me about coupons and promotions if I have any concerns,I should directly talk to him or should call the supervisor because usually the young cashiers at Sdm don't know about couponing and promotions.I think you should also contact HO,explain all the situation.
    Hope it will help.
    thanks momi for clearing up the target situation. I guess i should never use that free gc right away in that transaction. I dont even know why i want to buy that mascara because most of the mascaras irritate my eyes, but i guess i can give the mascara one more try if they are free. Lol

i am going to call HO tomorrow about this whole situation. I know that we are going to stay in this town for atleast 4,5 yrs so maybe now is the time to speak up for myself if i want to keep using coupons and keep shopping at sdm.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Sorry you had such issues. I know that all shoppers are individually owned, so different franchisee's MAY have different rules for their store. I have a few SDM around here that I avoid like the plague for that very same reason. No matter what the meaning of coupon wording is, I've found that if I try to tell the cashier, or CSM, or even a manager their job, they get very, very offensive. Hopefully tomorrow someone different will be on the till and you will have much better luck there.

As for Target, I really do sympathize with you. My Target(the one in my area, LOL) is fantastic about coupons, they'll even tell me if I've missed a Target coupon to go along with my manufactures coupon. They know me now and don't even check for expiry dates anymore. Sometimes it's a good ides to print out and carry with you a copy of that stores coupon policy if you think you may have an issue, then you can show it to them.

I sure hope your day gets a whole lot better tomorrow.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

For the Target issue - someone in the Target clearance thread mentioned that once the coupon is scanned, it cannot be used again (which is a little odd, since I thought the coupons were exactly the same). That's probably why they couldn't copy the transaction after the first time.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    For the Target issue - someone in the Target clearance thread mentioned that once the coupon is scanned, it cannot be used again (which is a little odd, since I thought the coupons were exactly the same). That's probably why they couldn't copy the transaction after the first time.

I seeee... But the code on both the coupons is exactly the same. :s
    Ciel, luckbealady and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Okay we have all learned, leave our husbands home when going to SDM..(lol)..they like saving money but don't want to be around for the process...

Everyone has great advice. I think again, find a branch that you like, and know your cashiers and be friendly and they will get to know you and know that you know what you are doing or if you make a little boo-boo you are eager to learn. And like Holly mentionned stay away from those stores that you have a bad experience. I have tried a few times to give such stores a second or third chance and they have always proven to me that I was an idiot to think that was going to change. And then to get "I told you not to go back there" speaches from angry husband...so if planning trips to earn points, use coupons find (THAT) one where you are comfortable with. Also if there is a new cashier that hasn'tdealt with you yet and gives you a hard time just look at a cashier that you know she knows what she is doing and you are golden. I have never had any restrictions (like the 4)...watch it will happen next time. Don't let it discourage you, you are a strong, smart and informed woman that knows and is learning to maximize her household income and all you are doing wrong is nothing...you are learning and unfortunately we all have couponing scars. Let us know how things go, good luck dear.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's not always the "a*s*s*h*o*l*e" cashiers or the "stupid ignorant" cashiers fault. Not all cashiers are "idiots" either. Most times they are following direction from their managers.

Please try to be kind when voicing your opinions. There are a lot of retail workers that read this forum.

Having said that. I hope you had a better couponing day yesterday.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Mon, Aug 18th, 2014 at 07:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information