User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Baby Items-Your Must Haves & What Was a Waste of Money?

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks! Great tips
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    Here's some items I'm wondering about:

Sleeper Sacks...did you use them?

Bumbo carrier? Good investment, waste of money? Have heard mixed reviews.

Recommendations for a good baby carrier.
    Sleeper sacks - we received a few as shower gifts but both our kids hated them. Not sure why, they just seemed to be swaddled more tightly I think so we used large receiving blankets.

Bumbo - are you asking about the Bumbo chair? I wasn't aware they make a carrier?

We didn't have one for DD. Everyone raved about them so I bought one off kijiji for DS. I hated it. I didn't feel it was safe enough. He was a mover and would arch his back and I was afraid it would flip and he'd hit his head so I stopped using it. Wasn't even worth the $20 I spent (normally they are like $60). It's been sitting in the basement and no one wanted to use it (I've lent most of our other baby items).

Carriers - we hated the front carriers. Didn't sit right on DH or myself and the kids didn't seem comfortable in them (we tried 2 styles). We did invest in a good pack back carrier when they were older and the kids LOVED it. They sat really high on DH (He's 6'4) so they got to see everything and I knew they wouldn't be bumped in a crowd. Great for a lot of walking or busy events. Pretty sure ours holds up to 40 pounds.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

If you are referring to the molded foam Bumbo chair, I agree with bargain_hunter_lola. As babies get more mobile, they arch their back and can make it unstable. The recent ones now have a strap that holds them in. I don't think you can buy one new without it unless the one you're buying has been sitting around in the store for awhile.

For carriers, I know of people that love the back pack style one. Personally, I would go out to get the mail (across the street) in winter and the front carrier was the right size to wrap my large down jacket right around the two of us and zip up. Stuck a little toque on her head and across the street and back each day. She looked my little joey, and I the mama kangaroo.
    Natalka, Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    Here's some items I'm wondering about:

Sleeper Sacks...did you use them?

Bumbo carrier? Good investment, waste of money? Have heard mixed reviews.

Recommendations for a good baby carrier.

Love the sleeper sacks, we used them until DD was 13-14 months old, then she started using the comforter that came with her crib bedding set. ( the comforter didn't work too long didn't keep her covered but she used it as her blankie for awhile lol)
    We didn't bother with the Bumbo. We had some of the swaddle blankets but never used them, receiving blankets worked for us until she was 3 months old. She kept getting her arms out so we switched to the sleep sacks. We didn't have a baby carrier withDD and I wished that we would have. Definitely want one for this baby so if anyone has any recommendations please share. Now i must go lol off to play cars with DD.
    Angela273 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The diaper bag was the most expensive and useless purchase. Diaper genie was the second most expensive and useless purchase.

Sleeper sack was the only thing I felt was actually useful enough to purchase.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The diaper genie. Especially in the summer. It stinks. You're better off just throwing the diaper in the garbage immediately. Plus the refills are pricey if I recall correctly.
    Jina, Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DC101 View Post
    The diaper genie. Especially in the summer. It stinks. You're better off just throwing the diaper in the garbage immediately. Plus the refills are pricey if I recall correctly.
    Loved our Diaper Genie, especially in summer, kept the stink contained! Just goes to show that some things are worthwhile for some parents, while others are not. I bought ours secondhand, maybe that made it more worthwhile?
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Definitely diaper genie. Got it 1/2 price on sale and I don't buy the refills. I use the no name blue bin bags and tie it round the round blue thing with an elastic band. Cheaper and you get more bags.
    http://mothersrealm.com/2013/02/23/h...genie-refills/
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For me, High chair and baby car seat are the waste of money and crib is the most important thing for my baby that I could't leave without it.
    Ciel likes this.
    Give Your Kids the Right Toys! KidKraft Canada http://www.kidstoysandstuff.com - Kids Toys and Stuff

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shaneB View Post
    For me, High chair and baby car seat are the waste of money and crib is the most important thing for my baby that I could't leave without it.
    How did you ever leave the hospital without it? Where we are, they don't let you leave the hospital with the baby unless you bring in the car seat and put the baby in while they're watching. Even if you're taking the bus, they want to see the car seat.

Our infant car seat (the one with a handle) was a lifesaver. You can get the car seats that stay in the car from five pounds and up, but the one with a handle lets you transport the baby without waking it up and provides a safe place for it to sleep. Carrying a 10 pound baby *everywhere* gets tiring after awhile. It's also nice in the winter that the baby can stay bundled and warm without carrying it through the snow and ice. It offered a degree of protection without which I'd be fearful of slipping and cracking the baby's head on the ice.

After the baby comes, you get paranoid of everything.
    Ciel and bargain_hunter_lola like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

We're getting a travel system stroller from my parents as a gift so we will be carrying baby everywhere in that
    Zonny, Ciel and shaneB like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    How did you ever leave the hospital without it? Where we are, they don't let you leave the hospital with the baby unless you bring in the car seat and put the baby in while they're watching. Even if you're taking the bus, they want to see the car seat.

Our infant car seat (the one with a handle) was a lifesaver. You can get the car seats that stay in the car from five pounds and up, but the one with a handle lets you transport the baby without waking it up and provides a safe place for it to sleep. Carrying a 10 pound baby *everywhere* gets tiring after awhile. It's also nice in the winter that the baby can stay bundled and warm without carrying it through the snow and ice. It offered a degree of protection without which I'd be fearful of slipping and cracking the baby's head on the ice.

After the baby comes, you get paranoid of everything.
    I wouldn't bother with that baby carseat if I were doing it again either. He only fit in it until he was maybe four months old. I think there are others you can get that they will fit in longer but are still safe and legal, they just don't 'click' into a base and are designed to remain in the car like a regular car seat. I forget, it's been years since I've had to worry about it.

That's odd that they require you to have a car seat. We did have one, but don't own a car, can't see that they could force me to buy something I didn't need.
    Ciel and shaneB like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I wouldn't bother with that baby carseat if I were doing it again either. He only fit in it until he was maybe four months old. I think there are others you can get that they will fit in longer but are still safe and legal, they just don't 'click' into a base and are designed to remain in the car like a regular car seat. I forget, it's been years since I've had to worry about it.

That's odd that they require you to have a car seat. We did have one, but don't own a car, can't see that they could force me to buy something I didn't need.
    I thought it was bizarre as well. I guess there aren't too many people taking the bus while in labour (though I did consider it and might have if LO decided to come at a different time).

Anyways, LO is still in the infant carrier and she's almost 14 months (slow weight gain). We got one as a gift and then borrowed two others for emergencies (which we've used). Seems like a non-issue though as OP has one coming. Oh yes, and the baby seat is handy to take grocery shopping, to weddings, etc. I don't know how do people do without it.
    Zonny and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My DS, I just put him in the stroller once he didn't fit in the baby seat anymore. Mine is a kind of unusual case though, he was over 10 pounds at birth and over 30 pounds by age one. Most babies aren't that big.
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post

A girl I know had a baby last year, doesn't drive, takes the bus or walks everywhere, the hospital would not let her leave until she produced a car seat. The baby stayed in the hospital an extra 3 days until she could borrow one.
    Ciel likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information