• 3 Post By joandstef
  • 2 Post By ssbean
  • 4 Post By Steffigirl
  • 2 Post By grannynellie
  • 3 Post By beckie.c

Thread: Utilities, Checked....An I'm on a High

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Don't know where to start but for some time we've been having issues with our hot water supply( was lacking more often than not) and low water pressure in our house. We've called Reliance twice this year(I wasn't convince the young lad they sent the 1st time was right-oops I was wrong) and we were told on both occasions that the issue was with the mixing valve located above the hot water tank and that is something that we would have to fix ourselves. DH finally called Roto Rooter last Thursday for an estimate and thinking I heard $200 to do the repairs including parts, I told DH just to have it done. Well, I heard wrong..it was > $400, $469.41 to be exact(looking at estimate)..I was shocked to say the least & asked the repairman why so much. He explained but it didn't seem to fit the bill. Anyway ,DH went and bought the part($93 @ Rona-cheaper than in Lowes) then left for work. He then called to say a friend of a friend (who helped out in our basement reno over a yr. ago & whom he finally got in touch with after several tries)was coming to do the repair. Well Bob showed up with equipment and all later that said evening and got the work done in a jiffy. He says it wasn't a complex issue and that it will take about an hour for the tank to heat up. Kudos to Bob, who relieved our frustration and did a great job without charging us a penny but asked DH for repayment in kind and that was fine with us.

In addition to this issue, I was losing my mind with Rogers for our cable, internet and home phone services. I (since this is my responsibility )was paying around $140/month. The worst part was that I've been with them since I moved into our brand new home 7 yrs. ago and we've been stuck with 2G internet monthly allowance. I've called on few occasions to cancel but I always end up getting transferred to someone who wanted to offer me what they wanted to offer (upsell) and not give me what I wanted. I thought of going to Tech Savvy based on my research & a friend's recommendation but I didn't want to pay the >$200 installation etc fees. I decided, to jump on an a time sensitive offer Bell called me with the week before. My new bill would be < $90/mth. DH wasn't happy because he wants me to do away with the home phone and he was concerned about having to rent boxes to get channels in other rooms besides living room. Well, didn't Rogers call me to stay with them? The employee I dealt with was so nice & I ended up getting a better deal overall wow..(thus cancelling with Bell, they messed up on that too) and now DH and I are happy(me, since I can go online without getting that annoying pop up message that I've surpassed my monthly allowance. You know how annoying that can be when browsing SC for deals right :0 ) ?...Seeing that summer is over :0( (was it ever short, actually did we really have one?) I'm on such a high, my pressure has surely dropped and I'm ready to take on our next challenge, de-cluttering our garage & shed.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell, Garage, Lowe's, Rogers (Plus), Rona
    Last edited by Shirnette; Sun, Aug 24th, 2014 at 09:49 AM.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Oh Shirnette, that's great news! Your journey with Reliance and your phone/TV/internet parallels ours in the last couple of months! Doesn't it feel great to get it resolved! Take time to celebrate! You did wonderfully well!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Glad things worked out so well. Great job.
    seylz_gurl, ssbean, momi and 2 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Why does it always have to spike our blood pressure and send us into spirals of worry and frustration as well as financial uncertainty just to get simple basic services? I am happy that you can breathe a bit easier Shirnette!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

know what you mean about those irksome messages that you've surpassed your monthly usage. great savings on your utilities!
    ssbean, momi, Shirnette and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

What did you end up paying a Rogers? I'm with them thinking of changing
    ssbean likes this.
    wamme
    innisfil ontario

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Yay for Bob!

He deserves a nice thank you gift basket full of smellies, lotions and potions from your stock pile, IMHO
    ssbean, momi and Shirnette like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I know how you must feel having this weight off your shoulders. It feels great doesn't it? Awesome for you and glad you were able to cut down on the phone/cable/internet bill. If you can do without them, I woudl seriously consider it. We got rid of cable with Bell after 3 years of HORRIBLE service. After cancelling I sent all the PVR, remote, etc back. Thankfully I took a picture of the way bill from Purolator showing the box with Bell's equipment was picked up because after 3 months, they sent me a bill for $250 plus saying I didn't return the rental equipment. I told them I did and I had proof (thankfully to my picture of the waybill!!). Sent them the copy but nope, they said they didn't receive it. I refused to pay the bill because I KNOW I returned it. And they sent my bill to collections. Never again will we get cable. Was not worth the cost or the stress or horrible service from Bell. Sorry got carried away with my rant! lol
    ssbean, Shirnette and addy25 like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Woo-Hoo!! Well done.
    Shirnette and addy25 like this.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good job! I can't stand how utility companies just do and charge how they please! Happy for you that you found a way around that issue! Yay Bob! As for cable, we cancelled and went with a digital antenna one year ago. Saved approximately $1500 so far. Paid off one of my credit cards with what I'm saving. We get 33 channels for free with the antenna! No more cable for us.... Ever!
    PEACE. LOVE. HARMONY...AND COUPONS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great savings! glad it worked out for you!
    Shirnette and addy25 like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Bob sounds like an awesome guy! (I can't believe how expensive some of those repairs can be, makes me happy DH chose to go to school for plumbing!)

I can't even fathom having a limit on your internet usage...even my smartphone is unlimited data. Good for you for using your negotiating skills to get a better deal and more usage!
    momi, Shirnette and addy25 like this.

Thread Information