User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Has the return policy for cosmetics at SDM changed?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Try to call or email the head office, here is my experience but it was like one year ago already, I'm not sure if the policy is changed or not, but I hope this can help.

I had the same problem before and the BA in my SDM was rude to me, and she didn't even help me to ask her beauty manager whether they could take it back or not, just gave me bad attitude in front of other customers, I remembered her name and then sent email to the head office and complained her customer service was horrible and blah blah blah.....don't forget to mention the store number of the SDM that you went in the email so the head office can contact the owner/store manager of that store.

After I sent the complain email to the head office, I received a reply from them on the next day, they told me that the owner of the SDM that I complained would contact me soon to solve the problem. Then I got another email from the owner of that store, he apologized to me for the inconvenience and told me that he made a note to the cosmetic department already so I can go return the item anytime when I'm free. I'm not sure if this way is gonna work on your case, but there's no harm to give a try right~

If you have allergic problem and you have receipt & within 30 days, they should take them back because they can send it back to the company and claim their lost, all you need to do is to fill a form and explain the reason of your return.
    ROMEO and jsmile like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Considering how expensive cosmetics is (HUGE profit margin in the beauty industry) and how much money we spend at Shoppers in the other departments, the cosmetics sales people should not be rude about returns and exchanges (especially if you have a receipt - you aren't trying to rip them off). Its not like it is costing them personally to return the item. No excuse.
    ROMEO and momi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayley View Post
    I know! It's so embarrassing. Thanks for the input- I would totally shop at Sephora but ATM the nearest location is 5+hours away, and their online site is so annoying for Canadians. Plus I use a mix of drugstore and high end cosmetics...arghh.!
    FYI, Sephora is all the high end cosmetic, yet that won't help you due to distance. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ROMEO likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayley View Post
    Also- what about returns to other locations? I would prefer to just return it to the initial one but man that was embarrassing. I'll likely end up keeping it for fear of going through that again, even though I'd really rather not.
    As long as they carry the brand, you should be able to return it at a different location
    ROMEO likes this.
    I do most of my shopping online and LOVE using ebates to get cash back. Check it out - it's free and easy to sign up!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=ux6NkmzoOno%3D

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jsmile View Post
    Considering how expensive cosmetics is (HUGE profit margin in the beauty industry) and how much money we spend at Shoppers in the other departments, the cosmetics sales people should not be rude about returns and exchanges (especially if you have a receipt - you aren't trying to rip them off). Its not like it is costing them personally to return the item. No excuse.
    They should not be rude, but it does cost the store owner. Manufacturers will refund stores for faulty products but not for people who return them because the didn't like them etc - and they cannot be resold
    The current refund policy says they can refuse any return too

However, Murale allows returns and is SDM owned so you think they would keep the same policy
    ROMEO and Decaf like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

SDM will accept any unopened / unused within 30 days but for opened products they don't have to take it back.

Some store will allow return if there's a legit problem like allergy / bad product, usually there's a manufacturer form you need to fill out for the return. It all depend on whether the manufacturer prefer to allow customer return to retailer or dealing directly with customer.
    ROMEO and FallenPixels like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    They should not be rude, but it does cost the store owner. Manufacturers will refund stores for faulty products but not for people who return them because the didn't like them etc - and they cannot be resold
    The current refund policy says they can refuse any return too

However, Murale allows returns and is SDM owned so you think they would keep the same policy
    Yes, I understand that it will cost the store/SDM sales. I meant the salesperson. He/She does not have to be rude about returns and exchanges, why take it personally when it costs the store money not the sales person. Do they make commission?
    ROMEO and momi like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    SDM will accept any unopened / unused within 30 days but for opened products they don't have to take it back.

Some store will allow return if there's a legit problem like allergy / bad product, usually there's a manufacturer form you need to fill out for the return. It all depend on whether the manufacturer prefer to allow customer return to retailer or dealing directly with customer.
    I think they need a more competitive return policy if they want to compete with Sephora, the Bay, and now Nordstrom and Saks.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Not enough Sephora stores to worry about yet I think
    Decaf likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The SDM close to where I live will return high end cosmetic items if you have a reaction or you don't like the product. Drugstore products (Revlon etc) they offer exchange only. As long you have the receipt and within 30 days.
    Kayley likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Not enough Sephora stores to worry about yet I think
    There's 7 Sephora stores in Metro VAncouver so lots of access for consumers. They are ALWAYS busy, especially the downtown Vancouver one. In October (right in time for the holidays), they are opening the largest square footage Sephora Store in Canada on Robson Street (DT Vancouver). Add their other Sephora locations, Holt Renfrew, upcoming Nordstrom and the Bay. There is a lot of competition.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...ancouvers.html
    Last edited by jsmile; Thu, Sep 11th, 2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Kayley and dahliagrower like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

In Vancouver & Toronto - yes
    Other areas, not so much. I love Sephora but I am still in SDM a lot more. We have one in my city, one in the next city - they are in major malls but not as convenient as SDMs. They are busy but if you don't live near them. I went a lot less before they put one in here, even though the other one is only about 20 mins drive from me.

Plus SDM sell loads of drug store brands people can't get in Sephora, they just don't see them as competition (obviously the people for Murale do since their policies are much better)
    dahliagrower likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Forgot to mention that Target's return policy on drug store products is 90 days! For both open and un-open products. Hopefully SDM/Loblaws implements a similar policy.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I can understand the store's concerns of people taking advantages of using the product for free and then return it for refund. There might be quite some dishonest customers that ruined it for all and made it difficult and unfair for those who really had a problem with the product.

Sales person on commission has always an attitude for customers' returns. That's why the SAs at SDM gives you hard time, while the SAs at Sephora won't.

My past experience for a beauty product return at SDM was quite a few years ago. Back then Biotherm had a mask that clearly said 'Peel Off' on the packaging, but it actually was a wash-off mask. It was clearly false advertising, and it was also far below expectation - it needed lots of water to wash clean and it was a mess in the winter time. I brought the item back to the closest SDM location and they wouldn't want to take it back since it's considered a defective item. They advised me to go back to the store where it was purchased, as a manufacturer's claim was involved. So I did.

The SA at the original store was not happy hearing that I used the item, I explained the false advertising on the packaging and indicated it was the manufacturer's fault. I even asked her to try it on the back of her hand and see if she could peel it off. Eventually they had me fill out a form and gave refund. They said they would send the product back to manufacturer and claim their part of the money back.
    Kayley likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MapleLeaves View Post
    I can understand the store's concerns of people taking advantages of using the product for free and then return it for refund. There might be quite some dishonest customers that ruined it for all and made it difficult and unfair for those who really had a problem with the product.

Sales person on commission has always an attitude for customers' returns. That's why the SAs at SDM gives you hard time, while the SAs at Sephora won't.

My past experience for a beauty product return at SDM was quite a few years ago. Back then Biotherm had a mask that clearly said 'Peel Off' on the packaging, but it actually was a wash-off mask. It was clearly false advertising, and it was also far below expectation - it needed lots of water to wash clean and it was a mess in the winter time. I brought the item back to the closest SDM location and they wouldn't want to take it back since it's considered a defective item. They advised me to go back to the store where it was purchased, as a manufacturer's claim was involved. So I did.

The SA at the original store was not happy hearing that I used the item, I explained the false advertising on the packaging and indicated it was the manufacturer's fault. I even asked her to try it on the back of her hand and see if she could peel it off. Eventually they had me fill out a form and gave refund. They said they would send the product back to manufacturer and claim their part of the money back.
    I understand that the salesperson loses out on commission but that doesn't give him/her the right to give attitude. Also, the person who returned the item won't buy future beauty products in the future. She/he runs the potential of losing future sales. Even as a beauty junkie, I have avoided a particular salesperson because I've had a lot of negative attitude and customer service at SDM/Murale.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information