• 1 Post By BC Gal
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 3 Post By Zonny
  • 2 Post By Purdee

Thread: How to cook fish?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I'm looking for some ways to cook tilapia and salmon so they don't have that metal fish taste. I buy the frozen fillets and usually do them in the oven but they just crumble and taste like metal or I'll buy coating and deep fry the tilapia, which again falls apart and tastes like metal. I would love to eat more fish since it's cheap and healthy but I cannot stomach the metal taste.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Not sure about the"metal" taste may be time for a new pan
    But I usually steam or fry my fish
    I eat salmon or red snapper
    My fav is salmon with a dill cream sauce or a light lemon dill flavour
    I usually fry my snapper with lots of salt n pepper
    I sometimes steam some sweet pepper and onions in vinegar and top my fried fish
    Yummo
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Try lining your pan with parchment paper or use a glass pan.
    Or, you getting that metallic taste could be from a medication you are using or something...

For something like High Liner frozen salmon pieces, I do them in the oven - I use seasoning salt, some garlic powder, squeeze of lemon over - biggest thing is making sure they don't overcook.

Frozen tilapia or sole - I do exactly the same way as above, but they are so thin, I fold over the pointy end so they don't overcook.

This past Friday was the first time I panfried the sole - I just did a coating of flour which had salt and pepper, garlic and Italian spices in it, cooked very lightly just til it got browned a bit on either side. I really liked it done this way. It is Seaquest brand.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I've heard to get the fishy or muddy taste out of fish, you soak it in milk. Maybe that would work for the taste you are getting from it.
    Natalka likes this.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have you tried Swai before? it's similar to tilapia as in they are both very cheap but Swai has very little to no fish taste. Get some Swai and season it with some lemon pepper then light dust both sides with flour, shake off any extra. Get a mid high frying pan with alittle buter and oil mixed, the oil frys it evenly while the butter will help flavor and brown the outside. cook for about 4-6 mins on each side or until golden brown. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top and throw down!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am not sure about that metal taste you are experiencing either? I always thaw my frozen fillets till soft ( I have used basa, rainbow trout, cod, red snapper and salmon ) The thing I like to do is make sure the fillets are bone dry, so after thawing I grab lots of paper towel and press down on both sides onto many layers of paper, squeezing out any moisture. Then I dredge them in a seasoned gluten free flour blend and either pan fry in butter, or sometimes in coconut oil. Also I turn them only once, cooking them 3-4 minutes maximum on each side depending on the thickness of the fillet.

For oven baking I have covered the paper toweled dry fillets thoroughly ( so lots of the gf bread crumbs and spices are sealing the fillet good on all sides ) then in a 350 oven on a lightly sprayed pan for approximately 10-12 min each side. I like them crisp, so I check and maybe they will go longer.

I do love deep frying in home my made batter, even though I know it is not the healthiest method, for this it is even more important to have almost all of that moisture removed or you'll get splattering once it hits the oil.
    Anna Michele likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My DS loves salmon. I buy frozen portions and poach them. I use a small amount of plain water, and add a bit of maple syrup, a bit of pepper, lemon if I have it. When it's nearly done I drain most of the water off, add a bit more maple and let it brown a bit.
    Last edited by Zonny; Fri, Sep 26th, 2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Natalka, walkonby and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I also don't know what you mean by the metal taste. I don't cook a lot of fish because for some reasons I find it too troublesome. I do love the way my mom cooks fish. I only like a few fish dishes and they have to be white fish; here are some Vietnamese fish dishes that I love (you can google fish dishes):

- Braised catfish (or any thick white fish) with caramel sauce (spicy or mild)
    Name:  ca kho to.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  10.6 KB

- fish and veggies (pineapple, tomato, scallion, bean sprout, herbs) in sweet & sour broth
    Name:  canh chua ca.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  9.3 KB
    Last edited by Purdee; Fri, Sep 26th, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
    walkonby and Anna Michele like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    I'm looking for some ways to cook tilapia and salmon so they don't have that metal fish taste. I buy the frozen fillets and usually do them in the oven but they just crumble and taste like metal or I'll buy coating and deep fry the tilapia, which again falls apart and tastes like metal. I would love to eat more fish since it's cheap and healthy but I cannot stomach the metal taste.
    Are they crumbling because they are really moist and flaky (i.e. nicely cooked fish) or because they are very dry and are falling apart (i.e. overcooked fish)? Because if the latter, it might be that it's overcooked, which would change the taste. Or maybe they are in the freezer for too long and are freezer burnt?

I've not experienced a metal taste either and I have done my fish on the bbq, wrapped in foil (en papillotte style), so if anything would get a metallic taste, that would, but hasn't.

Thread Information