User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Has anyone used Roam mobility while in the USA?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm planning on visiting Orlando, Disney World next April or May and bringing an unlocked cell phone. I understand you can purchase the Roam sim cards at most retailers, register online, receive a USA phone number, and choose how many days you will be away. It appears Roam has coverage in Florida.

Has anyone used Roam? Any problems?

I plan on taking an old Samsung Galaxy S2 x (T989) phone with me so I'm guessing it will work?

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Check with Roam to see if the phone meets their requirements.

I have an AT&T phone for trips south.

Or just use Wifi
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

pippinelkhound I assume you bought your AT&T phone while in the USA. Do you find it has good signal strength? I've heard AT&T has better coverage compared to T-Mobile. Roam uses T-Mobile towers.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use Roam Mobility for a couple of years now when on the West Coast and New York. Love it.
    • no coverage in Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Jellystone. Had to get ATT.
    • they just revised their data plans. Unlimited once you go past the allocation (they just throttle the speed). You might want to double check this.
    • Is your phone unlocked? Otherwise the Liberti hotspot is a better choice.
    • Pick up at many Canadian retailers (eg London Drugs), airports, or border crossing duty free shops (on the Canadian site).
    • Vancouver company running out of Yaletown
    • USA prepaid is for the month... Roam flexibility allows me to buy by the day, weekend, or week.
      http://www.roammobility.com/plans
    • Roam Mobility is the ONLY prepaid option that allows you to call a Canadian number. USA sims only allow you to call a USA phone number. Travelling with others using a Canadian SIM? You won't be able to call them unless you are using a Roam SIM.
    • Roam Mobility is based on the day for voice calls, not minutes. Go ahead and keep in touch with home. I chatted with the office for hours one day because of an emergency. Thank-you Roam.
    Last edited by xlxo; Thu, Sep 25th, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
    ROMEO, toban and Your604 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think the roam mobility shouldn't be used because it can charge you many ...
    so I would not prefer to use..
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the help! I thought about purchasing a cheap AT&T phone in the states. Some people told me Roam works great in cities but outlying areas dropped calls. Maybe it depends on which state. Besides Orlando/Disney we may travel to Tampa, Sanford, Winter Garden and the Kennedy Space Centre. It sounds like Roam is the way to go. My phone is unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
    I use Roam Mobility for a couple of years now when on the West Coast and New York. Love it.
    • no coverage in Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Jellystone. Had to get ATT.
    • they just revised their data plans. Unlimited once you go past the allocation (they just throttle the speed). You might want to double check this.
    • Is your phone unlocked? Otherwise the Liberti hotspot is a better choice.
    • Pick up at many Canadian retailers (eg London Drugs), airports, or border crossing duty free shops (on the Canadian site).
    • Vancouver company running out of Yaletown
    • USA prepaid is for the month... Roam flexibility allows me to buy by the day, weekend, or week.
      http://www.roammobility.com/plans
    • Roam Mobility is the ONLY prepaid option that allows you to call a Canadian number. USA sims only allow you to call a USA phone number. Travelling with others using a Canadian SIM? You won't be able to call them unless you are using a Roam SIM.
    • Roam Mobility is based on the day for voice calls, not minutes. Go ahead and keep in touch with home. I chatted with the office for hours one day because of an emergency. Thank-you Roam.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Check out the coverage map.... Orlando appears to be well covered...
    http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

Let us know your experiences when you get back....
    ROMEO and toban like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks! It looks like Orlando has good coverage. My trip is not until late Spring and I will let everyone know my experience
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wouldnt guarantee what US provider service Roam uses... they *may* only partner with one provider, but they may partner with more than one, but prioritize to one network if it's available. Granted, I never heard about ROAM until this thread... and it looks intriguing. (I like the short-term use options)

Here's my experience with roaming in the USA:

IMPORTANT: You MUST have your Canadian Phone UNLOCKED to use any foreign SIM card.
    (US based providers, including the one below, claim you dont need to, but their claims are for US based phones, as they get around the unlocking by using compatible SIM card authentications)

-

I use STRAIGHT TALK when I roam in the USA.

- Starter kit is $60 ... which includes 4 SIM cards (for various types of phones and coverage) and also includes their $45 plan.
    - The plan is 30-days of absolutely unlimited Talk/Text/Data (Data speed is 4G/LTE but gets throttled in speed after 3gb... but seriously, will you use 3Gb?)

STRAIGHT TALK PROs:

- The BEST coverage I've been able to find for no-contract/BYOD (Bring your own device) service SIM. I travel through central Maine regularly, and they cover very rural areas.
    - They prioritize on AT&T network, but if I'm not mistaken will jump to another network where AT&T isnt available.
    - 4G/LTE coverage (where LTE is available)
    - Available at Any Walmart store in the US (if you cant find a walmart in the US, walk about 50 feet, and look again)
    - You can top up online, or with a card you can also by at Walmart
    - You can get a $30 plan if you prefer, but the data is considerably less.

CONS:
    - International talk and text (ie: to Canada) is not included, but you CAN add international for $10
    - 30-day cycle... so if you're only in need for a few days you might be paying more than you should. However, if you're going to be using it for more than 12 days... its the same cost as Roam and the coverage and speeds are quite a bit better.

As I said, I had never heard about ROAM until this thread. But I'll be experimenting with it in a couple of weeks when I go to Boston over our Thanksgiving break. Their coverage map shows a great deal of "dead" or 2G-only spots in most of Maine where I'll be driving, but once in NH and MA it should be fine.

I like the notion of ROAM's $3.95/day option. After the SIM card ($20) and $4 per day ($12) that I'll be using it... plus HST, it will be about $10 cheaper than Straight Talk.

So, for this upcoming trip, I'm going to opt to NOT re-activate my Straight Talk plan, and try out this Roam, in the interest of science.

I'll let you know how I make out.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Sep 25th, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    I'm planning on visiting Orlando, Disney World next April or May and bringing an unlocked cell phone. ... an old Samsung Galaxy S2 x (T989) phone with me so I'm guessing it will work?
    If it's unlocked, as you mention, you should be good as golden to put ANY North American provider's SIM in your phone and have it work with that provider.
    pippinelkhound and ROMEO like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So I went to Staples and picked up a Roam SIM... ($19.96, as advertised)

When I got home and registered (they call it activated, but it has no plan or phone # assigned to it),
    I've come to find out that it's not 4G/LTE compatible UNLESS you spend an extra $2 to "upgrade" it.

sure it's a one-time fee per SIM, but still... it's a cash-grab.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    If it's unlocked, as you mention, you should be good as golden to put ANY North American provider's SIM in your phone and have it work with that provider.
    Not quite.... some SIMs do not support data. Different phone carriers may use different frequencies for 4G/LTE.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    When I got home and registered (they call it activated, but it has no plan or phone # assigned to it),
    I've come to find out that it's not 4G/LTE compatible UNLESS you spend an extra $2 to "upgrade" it.

sure it's a one-time fee per SIM, but still... it's a cash-grab.
    Yah, a lot changed in July....
    http://www.roammobility.com/4g-lte-network

When I last used Roam last year, I had 4G coverage just fine. Not sure what changed in July. I'm going on a trip in a few weeks, and will upgrade if I find problems.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I contacted AT&T (chat support) and they said my Samsung Galaxy S2x (SGH-T989D) will not work on their network. So I'm either going with Roam using the above phone or purchasing a cheap prepaid phone at Straight Talk or AT&T to use. Any other ideas please let me know.
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

To clarify... which carrier is your Samsung Galaxy S2x (SGH-T989D) from? Wind?
    ROMEO likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information