User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By blueeyetea
  • 1 Post By Mithimithi
  • 1 Post By SnowFlakey

Thread: Did you use food scale in cooking?

28 Elizabeth Street, New York City USA 10013
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone! I just want to ask if you love to use food scale whenever you bake or cook some recipes and dishes?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It depends. If I'm using a recipe from a Canadian source, like Canadian Living, I don't use a scale. If I'm using a recipe from a US source or the UK, I will use a scale. This is for flour mainly. There are differences in volume: one cup of US flour weights less than one cup of Canadian flour. You'll get better and consistent results if you weight it.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

same as Bleueyetea, it's all about the recipe, i.e. French cuisine request to weight the dry ingredients , they don't have a clue about ''cups, half cup, teaspoon....etc. ''

they also have ''glass'' as mesure....it comes from an old french tradition ''the mustard glass'' ....
    i was said that in the old time every french family hold an empty glass of mustard they used to mesure ingredients in recipe...but ...the question is , were all the mustard glasses hold the same quantity ?

I guess if the same glass is used in a recipe, that is fine

otherwise, diets request to use scale to mesure meats
    Last edited by Mia001; Fri, Oct 3rd, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

In my experience, Canadian and American flours are different things, they're made with different kinds of wheat. When I lived in the US, you had to use more for the same result and it didn't always work. Never tried weighing it though, maybe that would have worked better.

I do use a food scale if I'm doing a specific recipe, especially for measuring hard things like cold butter. For flour, I just use my measuring cup. If I'm cooking a main course using the cooking method of 'just toss stuff in until it tastes good,' I weigh some of the ingredients (like the chicken for example) because I'm trying to lose weight. I log everything in My Fitness Pal, and this gives me a much better indication of how many calories are in my meal.

I wish more recipes had weights rather than measuring cups. Flour can be a lot different in volume if you sift it first.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've always wanted to buy one of those digital scales just for fun - but I don't want to spend a lot and don't want to look like a drug dealer
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mithimithi View Post
    I've always wanted to buy one of those digital scales just for fun - but I don't want to spend a lot and don't want to look like a drug dealer
    Lol, I completely understand where you're coming from. I bit the bullet and bought mine from amazon for $20 mainly for how much trading I do. This way I don't have to take every envelope to the post office to be weighed. It sure comes in handy.

I've never really thought about using my scale for weighing ingredients for a recipe, maybe things would turn out better for me! I have used it however when I buy a club pack of ground beef so I can seperate into 1 pound portions for easy cooking/use later.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

The only time I use a scale is when I bake fruit cake. Most of the fruits need to be weighed.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

ive never used a food scale for baking. 99% of my recipes are baking recipes are from my mother and they are over 50 years old. She converted all of them about 25 years ago. Tried and true.
    Natalka likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Cups, spoons and far more importantly taste...

weighing only if I can't find an internet conversion table..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ive never used a food scale...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not on daily basis... but yeah when I have to cook for many peoples like when I invite friends for dinner/lunch I make a habit to use food scale to make food proportionately.

Thread Information