User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: Not cool: SC bashing at ***

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't know about this other site, and I don't really care if they bash us..what I do know is with all my couponing, savings,haggling, and deals my husband and I were able to pay off our mortgage by the time we were 40!! I had(have) 3 children in university, 1 has since graduated and was able to pay most of their tuition..I was able to stay home with my children for 10 years while they were in school..we were still able to go on great trips every year!! My children's friends always asked my kids if we were rich!! I could go on and on about the value of savings not only with groceries but with everything including selling 2 of my houses myself and saving all that commission but then I would have to post this in the brag section ha,ha,ha...keep couponing and for those people that have negative comments just ignore them by the time they realize how great it is it will be to late for them!!! Take it from me every dollar adds up!!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    It is a link from *** and some chinese dude who is more interested in cars and gadgets than groceries so why be offended?
    I haven't seen the original thread from whatever website, so as an honest question, how do you know he's Chinese? (Unless you know the actual person behind the screen?)

Just to offer another perspective, I used to live in an area where I didn't receive flyers. I hadn't heard of RedPlum, SmartSource, that you could call in coupons, or have access to a printer. The places I shopped for food accepted cash only, no coupons, and I was able to buy my groceries for $10/week (N.B.: I eat more than a 250 lb male and I'm not a vegetarian!). In the open city markets, fruits and vegetables were frequently $0.20 - 0.50/lb, often less. There were no flyers, you just went on Saturday and bought whatever was fresh. I didn't drive, so I never bought things like toilet paper, or laundry detergent. Another family menber would buy those on the way home from work. Places like No Frills, Walmart, or Loblaws were too far away.

I rarely bought canned goods or pre-packaged items, no cereals, pop, juices, - most were just too heavy to carry and not available where I shopped. If you looked at my list of expenses: bus pass, property tax, phone, utilities, food, clothes, cat food, vet bills, home maintenance - there weren't any coupons available for those. For toiletries, I didn't receive Brandsaver, nor did anyone else I knew; that might have been useful. Brandsaver.ca didn't exist back then. I did shop at SDM on 20X points days to stock up on shampoos and body washes when on sale though.

So, if you asked me almost a decade ago if I had any use for coupons, I would honestly have to say no. Today, I do have a stockpile, but my expenses have gone up. Even if things are free or almost free, I still have to take the car out (gas, maintenance), take time away from LO, try to get out to the stores before the shelves are cleared in our city (a large percentage of the time, the shelf is empty because I was feeding or changing LO and got out late). Some months I save $4, other months I save $50. I'm also buying for a household, so the savings per person is probably lower.

Now, had I lived in suburbia all my life or bought the amount of toiletries I do now, I agree, things would definitely be cheaper with coupons! To the original poster on the other forum, I can say I understand if he doesn't need coupons. To all the SCers, I can say I understand why we love coupons!

It's unfortunate that he would take the time to bash our lives, but by not trying to understand our differences, we risk all being in the same boat. If we can't take the time to understand the little things, we have no hope of ever understanding the big things. Is this person a frequent poster on the other forum? Maybe it's really a troll in disguise, laughing at the discussion he's kicked up on this forum.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Tue, Oct 7th, 2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Apologies if this came off as offensive in any way - I'm feeling under the weather this month. :)
    GoJays, online and MillieH like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    I don't know about this other site, and I don't really care if they bash us..what I do know is with all my couponing, savings,haggling, and deals my husband and I were able to pay off our mortgage by the time we were 40!! I had(have) 3 children in university, 1 has since graduated and was able to pay most of their tuition..I was able to stay home with my children for 10 years while they were in school..we were still able to go on great trips every year!! My children's friends always asked my kids if we were rich!! I could go on and on about the value of savings not only with groceries but with everything including selling 2 of my houses myself and saving all that commission but then I would have to post this in the brag section ha,ha,ha...keep couponing and for those people that have negative comments just ignore them by the time they realize how great it is it will be to late for them!!! Take it from me every dollar adds up!!!
    Yes. Post this as a brag -- you did great

Mortgage free by 40, with 3 kids?! That's great.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

You need groceries, diapers, consumables, toiletries, laundry etc , each week ..so savings on them really add up.

how many electronic's do you really need every week ? And most of them are wants and not needs.

how many TV's , cell phones , computers, tablets , cars , gadgets etc etc are you going to buy every year?

I haven't bought any electronics in ages , as what I have is more than enough for my need..and I don't really need some cool shiny gadget every 4 months to feel good about myself, the ones I have are just fine and work well for me. But I do need groceries each week .

so the people over there are probably the ones leading unfulfilling lives, not us ..ha ha.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    But it takes a smart savvy shopper to get stuff for low cost or even better for free.
    Agree.
    The person who posted the negative comment doesn't get it.

For example, this week, found out a popular coworker is moving to the west coast because of a job change in coworker's family. We may do a quick party or a dinner, if there is time. We did not get much notice, since they have to move everything etc.

It's easy for me, however, to get a personal gift together. I have the gift bags, wrapping paper, smellies, lotions, potions, greeting card and a variety of items from my gift box that I know the coworker would like.

All because of savvy shopping for low cost, in demand gift items. Wish the poster was more "Smart"
    coupon girl and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

LOL not all of us are mom's. Also like to point out that there are plenty of men on this site too. It really hurts people to spend two seconds worth of time researching.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I found people to be bit jirksh at the other site; I have an account there but its awful! I find most of them are likely dudes who want electronics 'deals' and would buy anything ONLY because its on sale i.e. wires, chargers, phones, monitors etc.! They also 'fight' a lot! I mean A LOT! Rude behaviours are common there too!

Here is what some ignorant very-likely 'dude' wrote: "Oh, you would be surprised. I came across the $martCanucks forum many months ago by accident, but after looking through a few threads it is clear that there are many couponing moms with lives that are so unfulfilling that they have to create little coupon books to get things for free, then brag to other women whose lives are equally unfulfilling. A sad bunch, really. "

I am not a mom; I am student and I don't waste money on stuff I WANT, but I use coupons to get items I NEED. But oh well what can you do!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvilish View Post

I am not a mom; I am student and I don't waste money on stuff I WANT, but I use coupons to get items I NEED. But oh well what can you do!
    Exactly!
    Student have to worry about tuition, housing, transportation, utility bills and food.
    Every nickle saved is worth it for students.
    Plus all the great student discounts and savings cards too...
    Arvilish likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

It is just one person's opinion and s/he can think whatever they like
    There are people on that site who disagreed with the poster too
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

it is one post on a long thread on that site. Most people are calling that person out on his comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    It is just one person's opinion and s/he can think whatever they like
    There are people on that site who disagreed with the poster too
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I believe that was the same guy called out another fellow who bought a 109 cases of Nestea pop last year when the FPC was on the cases lol
    Last edited by YOU AND ME; Wed, Oct 8th, 2014 at 09:22 PM.
    tjthemanto likes this.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    I believe that was the same guy called out another fellow who bought a 109 cases of Nestea pop last year when the FPC was on the cases lol
    Nestea tastes horrible , I don't know how people can drink so many of them.

I can barely finish 1 can without throwing up, maybe if it had some fizz in it like some pop, maybe I can manage. It just tastes like sweet water to me, or even worse than that
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I haven't seen the original thread from whatever website, so as an honest question, how do you know he's Chinese? (Unless you know the actual person behind the screen?)
    Dude previously mentioned that he is Chinese; but the way he talks make him sound male more than female so I am using male! :p

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm out of the loop ... what's going on?
    FREE gift from Temu site! (similar to SHEIN)
    https://temu.com/s/FeegMPQDbwMvEI

Get cashback for online shopping!
    https://www.topcashback.com/ref/keek

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Yea I get called a loser by my own family and friends for having a coupon binder. I don't really care. We all know here what's important.
    Decaf and torontogal12 like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information