• 1 Post By jamesfranco
  • 2 Post By mandy403

Thread: Scanning code of practice information

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi all I am new here

I am looking for some information :)

I was wondering if it's true that the scanning Code of Practice does not apply to employees or Spouses?

I had an issue one time claiming scop because my DH has a discount card and apparently it's not allowed if your a employee or spouse? I called Walmart Canada head office about that situation and the lady confirmed it with her supervisor and told me that it applies to all customers including employee's and spouses on July 14 2014. I never did go back to the store for the scop I just let it go

Then recently an item scanned wrong again I mentioned scop and because my DH was using his discount card on our other purchases the cashiers and Csm's all said it doesn't apply to employees or spouses. My partner doesn't work in the store but I don't see how it matters were all customers

I spoke with head office recently and they all said it doesn't apply...

Then I asked my friend to message them on facebook here's there response

Name:  SCOP3.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  35.5 KB

After she message them and got conformation it's applies to all customer's I sent them a message and they tried lien to me ??

They replied and said

Name:  SCOP 2.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  26.7 KB

Apparently it's a rule of knowledge and because I am a spouse and my dh is an Employee we are not customers

If it's a rule why isn't it writing by the cashiers till? Why wasn't my partner given a letter with his discount card telling him and me it doesn't apply to us. Are they trying to make us look like idiots.

I don't feel any entitlement to scop however I would rather pay the right price and not look like were stealing because my dh is a walmart employee.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    Last edited by SammyGurl; Thu, Oct 16th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'd probably contact the retail council of Canada (or the competition bureau) over Walmart for clarification on the issue.

It could be that the individual company is allowed to make up their own rules on employees claiming SCOP - in which case Walmart is in the right to say no (even though they gave conflicting responses). But one would think that a customer is a customer - in fact, while they would still get a reduction if say a $10 SCOP is applied, most employees get a percentage off - which means they'll get less off because it's a lower price.

From their website: http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/01262.html
    If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome, you may register a complaint with the Scanner Price Accuracy Committee, by calling 1-866-499-4599 (toll free)

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

It would make sense if it does not apply as an employee could purposely put the wrong tag up and then claim scop, or tell their spouse to claim scop

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Funny, because when I contacted them in July about this very same thing since I had read somewhere else that it does apply to employees as well so I wanted to confirm it, this was the response I got:

Name:  employeesandscop.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  29.2 KB
    jamesfranco likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Meeeks85 View Post
    It would make sense if it does not apply as an employee could purposely put the wrong tag up and then claim scop, or tell their spouse to claim scop
    I agree with this, also the card gives a discount which means they never pay shelf price and therefore you ate not asking for SCOP on an "advertised price" bc your price would be lower.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I agree that it makes sense that it would NOT apply to employees
    c_mcarthur and CrazyQT like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

This has been discussed before in one of the threads. My opinion is employees should not take advantage of SCOP within their company. Less profit for the company means less hours for staff.
    c_mcarthur likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Unless you are in Quebec where it is the law maybe?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is crazy that they would provide conflicting responses like that.

My personal opinion would be that if you work at the specific store you are shopping at you shouldn't get SCOP, or if your spouse works at the store and is ringing you in personally you shouldn't be eligible for SCOP on that transaction (I really don't know what the employees are capable of doing at a register to manipulate a price so this condition might not even be necessary in my opinion). And I only think these two clauses could be important just to protect the system from being abused.

But in your case I can't see why you wouldn't be eligible. Just because as a spouse you used an employee's discount card doesn't mean that you are immune to being overcharged by a company. I hate it when company's make excuses not to follow SCOP. There is no difference between you using your husband's discount card there than there is you using a REDCard at target in my mind, and I completely agree that if it is going to be Walmart's policy to not apply SCOP on employee's spouse's purchases with discount card then this should be a written rule.

EDIT: I just want to add too that I have friends that work at different grocery stores who have told me what items have price mistakes so I can scop them in the past (I never went down and did it since I figured they would probably fix it by the time I got down there lol). But this just goes to show if an employee is going to abuse SCOP it wouldn't be limited to just immediate family, so I think the spouse exclusion would just be an excuse to not have to lose money.
    Last edited by jamesfranco; Fri, Oct 17th, 2014 at 10:57 PM.
    c_mcarthur likes this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I've had a few problems at my walmart store with this as well. I spoke with a lady from the retail council today and she said ANYONE can mention the scanning code of practice to the cashier. It doesn't matter if your an employee or spouse or not it applies to all customer's.

Shame on walmart for lying and for not following there own policy and for making you feel like your stealing. I would call and make a complaint if I was you.

Walmart is NOT allowed to make up a policy that it doesn't apply to spouse's or employees. That would explain why the scop sign at the till says nothing about that. It says Customer's for a reason We are all customer's when we are shopping at walmart.
    walkonby and luckbealady like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandy403 View Post
    I've had a few problems at my walmart store with this as well. I spoke with a lady from the retail council today and she said ANYONE can mention the scanning code of practice to the cashier. It doesn't matter if your an employee or spouse or not it applies to all customer's.

Shame on walmart for lying and for not following there own policy and for making you feel like your stealing. I would call and make a complaint if I was you.

Walmart is NOT allowed to make up a policy that it doesn't apply to spouse's or employees. That would explain why the scop sign at the till says nothing about that. It says Customer's for a reason We are all customer's when we are shopping at walmart.
    +1

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Therefore, the message I posted that was submitted via the Walmart.ca website (not through Facebook), would be correct per the Retail Council's answer.

The person who sent their message through Walmart Canada's Facebook page rather than through their website, feel free to go back at the Facebook page and you can include a copy of the pic I posted with the reply from Head Office, and ask them why the discrepancy in answers. And make sure you mention to the Facebook page what the Retail Council stated. Have to wonder where the people who man the social media page for Walmart Canada are getting their answers from.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Walmart is obviously lying about it. I even wrote HO through walmart.ca too and got a no as well. So like Jamesfranco "said it's Walmart lying so they don't lose money" They rather scam the customer's instead. The less people to know the less people will mention scop.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecats View Post
    Therefore, the message I posted that was submitted via the Walmart.ca website (not through Facebook), would be correct per the Retail Council's answer.

The person who sent their message through Walmart Canada's Facebook page rather than through their website, feel free to go back at the Facebook page and you can include a copy of the pic I posted with the reply from Head Office, and ask them why the discrepancy in answers. And make sure you mention to the Facebook page what the Retail Council stated. Have to wonder where the people who man the social media page for Walmart Canada are getting their answers from.

Thread Information